Transom cracked

matt931

Just re-read my post, and to be clear, it was a friend's boat and he had the wreck, but his insurance company didn't want the salvage, so I bought it with an Oklahoma drive-on trailer for 3,000, paid Allison 3,500 and had what looked like a brand new '89 XB2002. But, as I said, those prices are 20 years old. The only place they couldn't completely cover was in the inside of the front deck where the wrinkle finish is. There was no matching that, I guess.
I'd gladly give that if they would completely redo the whole boat!! Wishful thinking I'm sure, considering 2015 prices!

matt931

I got a transom replacement estimate by phone call from Bullet Boats to put a new one in a 17cc bullet.. This was 6 or so years ago and it was over $4k.. As posted earlier, I think $5k from Allison wouldn't suprise me at all
Every other marina/boat shop ive spoken with had estimated $3500 to $5000 sight unseen. I'm sure your pretty much dead on with your estimate. I have a friend that had a 20ft bullet transom done by bullet around five years ago and it was right at $3500 including some carpet and extra things.

Dave Hensley

If it has an aluminum gas tank it is probably wood with no steel insert. If you pull the tank and it has a center support, knee brace, in the center of the transom it is wood. From what I can gather the first couple in 1987 were composite with steel insert. Materials were not available and the next 4-5 were wood. I had #7 and it was wood. I have a later number in that same year model hear now and it is wood. I am thinking they were built with whatever was available until mid-1988. Record keeping was not a strong point at that time. If they repair it it will be done correctly and it will be expensive. Tedious work and at $90/hr shop rate it doesn't take long to ring up a bill.

matt931

If it has an aluminum gas tank it is probably wood with no steel insert. If you pull the tank and it has a center support, knee brace, in the center of the transom it is wood. From what I can gather the first couple in 1987 were composite with steel insert. Materials were not available and the next 4-5 were wood. I had #7 and it was wood. I have a later number in that same year model hear now and it is wood. I am thinking they were built with whatever was available until mid-1988. Record keeping was not a strong point at that time. If they repair it it will be done correctly and it will be expensive. Tedious work and at $90/hr shop rate it doesn't take long to ring up a bill.
The boat is an '88 year model but if I read the hull number right it was manufactured in October of '87. it's just my luck, only a handful of xb02s have a wood transom and I find one hiding in the weeds for 11 years!! I finally got some pics to bill at Allison. Maybe they can give me an idea as to how many limbs I have to sell to get this rig repaired!! On a brighter note, the boat has a pretty decent engine hanging on it. It's a '96 2.5 225 efi mariner super magnum. It's pretty much stock aside from an exhaust tuner.a Sportmaster lower turning a 29 Spinelli four blade drag prop mounted on a 12 inch rapid jack. I told bill I'll take off the engine and steering and fuel tank. I took the trolling motor, seats and carpet out the first day I brought it home. I figured every hour I spend de rigging would save the shop a little time and me a little money! I need every break I can get! Let's see....I need seat covers and carpet....new decals and badges...maybe update the gauges....new sport console windshield.... And the list goes on and on.....ha!!!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Definitely take her to Allison. For whatever few bucks you might save going local, that's never going to buy your peace of mind that the job was done right and the boat's designer and builder oversaw the repairs. When your butt is hanging her out there at 100+, you won't have to wonder if the transom will stay on.

On another note....I recall some discussion about the wood vs. composite transoms and thought it was 1989 before you could absolutely say you had a composite one...?

matt931

Definitely take her to Allison. For whatever few bucks you might save going local, that's never going to buy your peace of mind that the job was done right and the boat's designer and builder oversaw the repairs. When your butt is hanging her out there at 100+, you won't have to wonder if the transom will stay on.

On another note....I recall some discussion about the wood vs. composite transoms and thought it was 1989 before you could absolutely say you had a composite one...?
I agree completely about having it done by the people that know how it should be done. I told bill at Allison that I plan on keeping this boat and I want it to be 100% Allison. I've always loved the xb02 but I've been drawn to the xb03s simply because of the side by side seating option and wide console. I like the looks of them. Well I lucked up and this xb02 is a side steer with the wide sport console. I know it's a trade off in balance but I hope I can learn to compensate for that.

RedAllison

I recently purchased an '88 xb2002 with a bad transom. I know it's rare but I have one!! It has a fairly large crack on the port side in the splash well and the bottom of the transom will flex in if you put weight on the cavitation plate on the engine. I am looking for someone to point me in the right direction to get this old girl repaired. Has anyone else had an xb02 transom replaced? I live in southern middle Tennessee. I'm about four or five hours west from the Allison plant. Should I just take her back to her birthplace and have the experts patch her up?
For years I've heard about Genesis Fiberglass in middle TN but for this job I wouldn't care what the price was, I would ONLY send it back to Darris & crew! (In the long run a $2500 hack job is MORE expensive to deal with than a $5k professional FIX) I'd ask them about tearing out the wood rearend and if they can upgrade to the alloy assembly & then your great-grandkids won't have to worry about it.

Yes, every hour you spend de-rigging/making ready it will just make the bill cheaper from Louisville!

Jr in Jax

Jack Barsh always has a whole parking lot of wrecked Allisons, STVs, Skaters and Mirages. I am sure he could put as good of a transom job into it for a whole lot less than the factory. Drop it off and then spend a week at Disney.....the week at Disney will cost you more than the transom....

ally2dextreme

Mine is a 87 #13 I've been told the 10th one sold..its wood and in great shape....Your in TNN ,no brained goto Allison.You may also consider selling the boat to a do it yourselfer and the money you would spend on the repair and buying a newer boat ,it would have a higher value than your repaired 88

matt931

Thanks for all the info and ideas. I'm going to wait and see what the guys at Allison say about the pics of the transom I sent. The biggest shame of it all is the transom needs very little actual fiberglass repair. Pretty much just a crack below the bolts in the splashwell. The core of the transom is what actually needs to be replaced. That being said, I know getting the cap off is required no matter what and that takes time and labor......especially on an Allison.