Trailer: Refurb or New

FlatOutAlly

Looking for opinions on what to do with a 17 year old single axle Boatmate. Seems structurally sound. Newer axle assembly. Road chips and the bunk stanctions are pretty rusty and should probably have new bunk carpet and bunks. I'd like to strip the whole thing, sandblast and repaint. Any one had a refurb like this done? I know what a new one costs. Any ideas on the cost of a good refurb?

David Lanham

I would consider powder coating the trailer. Had mine powdered a few years back, way more durable than paint, even Imron. Lots of work though in prepping the trailer.

wasmeneh

Remember that it's a Boatmate, I had one on a Triton 200XP and it only lasted about 7 years, rusted from the inside, gave way up by the trailer jack. Now I fish some rivers that are on the brackish side so that contributed to it. I would never buy another Boatmate.

FlatOutAlly

wasmeneh - this has been my concern from the get go. mine was sold in Biloxi to an Arkansas friend. It's not been in any salt water in Minnesota short of a spilled Margarita. It seems solid but we'll be checking that closely before we start the process. If it's not solid I'll be buying a new trailer, oh course.

Has anyone out there successfully refurbished a BoatMate? Or am I in the land of complete perfectionists?

xb03fs

Allison I am told now sells c channel trailers as an option...

FlatOutAlly

Thanks. I've talked to them. Still considering it and other new options as well as the refurb. Looking for opinions from people that have been through this. I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of you here. No?

njj502

Take a hammer to the drain areas and any spot that you think might hold water. Bang on it a bit on the bottom. If you don't bust it fix er up. If you do, get a new one!

hirk

Didnt do one myself but bought my boat last yr.and it had just been completely done down to every bolt and it is good as new,im sure you could do it for about 20-25% of the cost of new with sandblasting, good paint etc.

FlatOutAlly

hirk - What you said is exactly what I've found. It is not thin anywhere or rusted other than the risers for the bunks. Winter project here. Something to stop by and check on when it's snowing. Finding someone that gives a sh!it about your sh!t is the sometimes the hardest part.

jcoats3

I just replaced all bushings in the leafsprings the other week. Planning on getting new bunks and the mounts for the bunks redone this winter. If get chance want to fully repaint. It's a '94 model Lite-rider

xr6

I have a 1999 Boatmate that looks great on the outside but one of the main tubes is rusting badly from the inside out. All other tubes are in great shape. There are no visible drain holes on the tubes.....Boatmate claimed that drain holes weren't required as they left the bottom weld open at the back of the tube where the cover plate is welded on.....didn't seem to work very well on my trailer. I created drains on both main tubes and had Krown undercoat it which seems to have stopped the rusting.

FlatOutAlly

As boat trailers go, I've determined it's more about location than use. Going to repaint and throw some other money at it. Thanks for the help kids. I will take before and after pics if anyone needs ***** or giggles.