Top speed XB2003/280

Myron

when I ran mine, stock 280 with an offshore box (8250) rev limit 30 chopper II labbed, 2 batteries, did take the trolling motor off on one of the runs, stock pad, made 5 runs all at 106, one was at 106.7. I am old now and really don't care to run top end anymore. Oh my gearcase was a cle with a bobs cone, it is 2 mph faster then a sportmaster

catfish123

OK.......here's some more information. The 97.1 mph with 225X and all speeds over 95 mph were with either a blueprinted 30 Mercury ET or a blueprinted 30 Chopper II. The 30 Chopper II was the prop that ran 97.1. I do not have either of those props anymore. The only "trouble" I ever had on top end and the only "trouble" Matthew ever had was with the 30 pitch ET. I'm just convinced somehow that the more steeply pitched props like a 30 are more prone to walking to the top and causing problems. This is just my opinion and of course, it may be wrong. I sold both those props and have now stuck with nothing more than 28 pitch props. The Hydromotive OT's "feel" much safer to me, more locked in, not as loose as the 28 ET. Don't get me wrong, I believe the ET may wind up just a little faster and it is a great prop, but it sure has a different feel. I currently have my lip sanded down to about .045". Todd, you are absolutely right in that 93-95 with anything less than the 30 pitch props on the 225X was all I could get. Matthew and I haven't run this thing enough now with the 280 to have a good feel as far as what it's top speed potential is. I have become somewhat too chicken to explore those higher numbers with my increasing age.......LOL.......but Matthew still goes there. Matthew in total has made only a very few higher speed passes so we are very early on in the old speed quest. There is still some room to go though with the 28 ET and the 27 OT because the rpms were just around 7900 or so and it's an 8250 box. I now have my 28 Hydromotive Quad IV OT back and next week we'll be trying that one out. Thanks to all for the info and keep it coming.

SLOmofo

Now you got me wondering. I was O.K. with the 100.5 burst last year, and this starts up. Of course I don't have the same engine as your talking about, but I do have a XB2003.
Getting packed up for the WAR11 and wasn't going to bring anything over 26". Maybe I should throw the 29" SRX in and talk Bill into running it? Naa... I like Bill, maybe the Banded One, yep I'll get John to run it every body hates him anyway!:big grin
No lip, 1" windshield, nothing in the boat, new trim system, Sack O Cats II. :cuss

deadeye99

Mine was run with a stock 1996 lip. 14.25" setback. Stock sportmaster. Even with the pad. The nose drops and needs more trim in the 96 98 range. I have not pushed these #'s the last couple years. 96 on rails is good enough for me now. Bob

Myron

when you get close to 100 and you feel the nose drop a little, that is the gearcase trying to get on top of the water, I have set up a lot of Allisons, 2003, 2002, ss2000, and have never needed to run the gearcase higher than the pad, just my findings. To those who are still trying to run big numbers, check your steering, prop and gearcase for cracks every run, and be safe, have a pic up boat

Dave Hensley

I don't know which XB2003 is the fastest but I know which one is going to be...there is a white one with black wings coming out of Friendsville, Tn. That is getting ready to make some noise. Just sayin'.

catfish123

Man, that should be good for 95-96mph............LOL........j/k

white03

104 is the fatest I've been and that was with a highly worked Hoss 28 pitch. There was more in her as she was still running strong and steadly picking up speed, but I backed out. No lip on my XB2003. Got the prop from Bill Mason, and he said he worked with Dave for a while sending it back and forth for teaks. Fastest prop I've ever run; she sits in a prop case in the garage now just awaiting her next speed run. Hasn't had one in a while. Normally use a 28 Hoss but stock and without all the extra tweaks, I'll get 98 or so with it alone and about 89-90 with a partner and fishing load. I've tried a lot of props, but for my 2 cents worth is a Hoss is the fastest on a XB2003!!

Bill

Dave Hensley

The one out of the Friendly city will have a black motor. Inside info says they will not stop until they see 110.

chad202

I've yet to find a prop that runs in the trips with my fishing load other than my 28 RLcut and 26Et. I refuse to fish with these props so I'm still searching. Currently trying a 26 bullet cut performer cut down to 14.5. I haven't tried to run it wot yet so the verdic is still out. I would like to find a 4-blade but they seem to quit pulling when my rpms get to around 6500.

Larry D

i don't see any problem running over 110 with a 280 (with drag electronics ) or 300 drag. the boat i set up for my friend ran consistent 100 to 101 passes even after he sold it 2 years later. that was over 10 years ago. it had a bone stock 260, virgin bottom and would run like it was on a string. so with the newer and better props and horsepower should be no problem. later Larry D

ziemer

Actually the GS is a lot more problematic in the 100mph plus range than the 2003. This is because of the deck and high freeboard of the GS. That puts a ton of downforce on the deck that is very unbecoming in a cross wind...
Cross wind in a GS = No fun and a need for clean shorts. :beer:

i don't see any problem running over 110 with a 280 (with drag electronics ) or 300 drag. the boat i set up for my friend ran consistent 100 to 101 passes even after he sold it 2 years later. that was over 10 years ago. it had a bone stock 260, virgin bottom and would run like it was on a string. so with the newer and better props and horsepower should be no problem. later Larry D
Where's Teddy on this thread...don't think he's chimed in yet. His 280, from what I remember puts him in the 104-105 range fairly consistently, and he's got his setup really well. Over 110? Would take a large set, and a bunch of HP. In my opinion, I don't think a 280 would do it. Drag? Maybe, but again it would take a perfect setup with perfect prop and conditions. :cool

Darth VMAX

Not trying to gett of topic. But how much HP does a Drag make? How would they compare to the 300x? I know they have more R's to play with, but I am sure the 300x has a lot more torque to play with. Which equates to better top end potential?

h2oskiier30

There is a guy in the Mobile area that runs a pretty big number (104-105) with a 300xs on his with a big wheel. Takes a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNG time to get there, though.