Thinking

xb03fs

In the near future, maybe not so near future, I think I am going to replace my current tow vehicle a 2002 Trailblazer. Either that or try to move up a a 21 boats but that is a whole nother decision....

I have a company car so my tow vehicle is pretty much just that, a tow vehicle that get driven on weekends some of the time.

I am thinking maybe and Avalanche or EXT with low miles years 2004 to 2005 without the plastic body armour.

Anyone have any opinions?

I don't want to go newer because there seem to be numerous problems with the Active fuel managment and I cant see myself spending bukoo bucks on a truck that would get drive 6 or 7 times a months...

Is 4wd necessary? In my Trailblazer I dont use it except in the snow. Not sure if I would need it in the snow with this an Avalanche as they look pretty heavy.

I am pretty sure I wouldn't need at any boat ramps as I dont need it at the ramps now.

reward69

Avalanches are good vehicles. I like the ride due to the independent rear suspension. I got a loaner once when my truck was in the shop and it road great when pulling. Personally I would get 4x4 just for those tones when you need it and resale.

Alli-drenaline Rush

Only need 4x4 1% of the time, but when you need it, you need it!

Diablo East Amistad covered over with algae and water.....

Iowafshr

Avalanches have a solid rear, but they do ride nice. If you want to spend a lot of money my work sells a Callaway version with 450hp. Should be enough to tow.

resqu-u

I love the way the chevy/gmc trucks look and ride. With that said we had a 2005 4x4 yukon that was a POS. I wouldn't buy another Gas GM for a while. I have a titan now, plenty of power to tow anything but bad on gas.. I don't know I'm hard to please, just get a Dodge or GM diesel and be done.

reward69

Avalanches have a solid rear, but they do ride nice. If you want to spend a lot of money my work sells a Callaway version with 450hp. Should be enough to tow.

Meant to say coil spring suspension vs leaf like trucks.

xb03fs

The Allison is the heaviest/only thing I tow. It pulls fine with my Trailblazer. I think a truck/Avalanche has to be able to stop just as well. I don't want to spend a lot which is why I would be buying an older one. Well that and AFM system seems to cause a lot of premature failures. If I was going to buy new or close to new it would probably be a Ford F-150 with Ecoboost.

xb03

The F-150 Ecoboost's are nice, a friend of mine had one, he didn't like the 17 mpg tho. I never like the looks of the Avalanche's, I current have a 04 silverado, its a good truck and gets decent full mileage. If fuel mileage is a concern stay with the 5.3L.

xb03fs

I don't/didn't like the looks of the ones with the bottom cladding, however recently a neighbor got one without the cladding and it looks badass. He has some rims and some chrome added to it though. I also read they ride better than a truck due to the reas suspension being different. I don't know I have a couple years to pay off Kathys Equinox so I have time.

wc911

The F-150 Ecoboost's are nice, a friend of mine had one, he didn't like the 17 mpg tho. I never like the looks of the Avalanche's, I current have a 04 silverado, its a good truck and gets decent full mileage. If fuel mileage is a concern stay with the 5.3L.
I have a 04 GMC with the 5.3 4x4 and it pulls and stops whatever, but fuel mileage is not great 14 to 15 mpg!!! But i drive it like i stole it to.

Last edited:

strip

With what your saying, my boss has the perfect tow vehicle for sale. it is a 98 chevy extended cab 2wd with vortec 350. $3500.00 here is why it is perfect, #1 no payments for teuck to just sit. cheap insurance, freakin bullet proof motor that will pull like hell and still get 13-17mpg. cheap to work on, etc etc etc. if it is not a dailey driver, buy a nice old truck and pull with it. This particular truck is loaded with leather and every option available. save some $ for boat gas!

Jr in Jax

I love my Wife's 4X4 Honda Pilot as a tow vehicle for the A-boat and the double PWC trailer.
You just have to remember you are pulling a trailer or else you can forget. It gets about 16 MPG pulling the trailer at 70+.....

xb03fs

Just starting to browse. I know no payments are nice, but it has to be something a little newer and nicer or I might as well keep what I have. Cause it is pretty darn good looking still and still shines. Just starting to get some miles as I just crossed the 150K mark and figure its about time to start thinking about getting something with 50 to 100K on it.

BigCountryx

I'd get a 05-06ish Sierra Denali AWD if I were looking for a gas tow vehicle for boats n such. I've got a Silverado SS and only complaint is they are extra cab. I miss my Crew Cab.

motobuffy

I have no experience with one, but what about a Honda Ridgeline? Similar style to the Chevy Avalanche. Probably gets better mileage. Honda PMs are usually fewer and further between than GM. Just a thought.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I bought the new ecoboost. Just couldnt find it in my heart to give GM or Dodge anymore of my money. I love it. The GM 6.2 is a better comparison to the ecoboost than the 5.3 towing wise. With the ecoboost you get better mpg than the 5.3 and a higher towing capacity than the 6.2. Best of both worlds. Mine gets close to 19 mpg in the city and close to 22 at 65 mph. I get between 14-16 mpg towing. Depending on if its stop and go traffic or on the road. In the end they are all very nice rides and I am sure you will be more than satisfied with whatever you buy.

xb03fs

How is milage at 75 to 80 mph. Most hwys where I am have 70 mph speed limits so 75-80 is where I drive most.

Sounds like it get similar milage to my Trailblazer which tows GREAT stopping is so so. The Trailblazer will pull the Allison 75-80 no problems and can pass on slower traffic on two lane road if I desire. Alot of power in the Trailblazers especially from 55 to 85.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Gonna be honest. It goes down pretty good beyond 65. I dont drive on the highway very often. But, 80mph is 18mpg avg. I have heard other talk of high mpg than me. I havent seen it on mine though.

xb03fs

Kinda like the Equinox then, at 65 is is a 32 mpg suv at 68 is a 28 mpg car at 70 is 26 mpg at 75 it is 24 mpg at 80 it is still around 24.......on our trips to chicago I am lucky to average 25/26.............the drive is 5 and a half hours at 65 ish and 4:45 at 75 ish or so it seems.