The Sack O Cats is dead

GFinch

It's official. Tore it down this Friday. The farther I got the worse it got. I knew it was terminal, butt.
#1 seized, yanked the piston pin out and commenced to beating on the cylinder and then jerked the rod cap off, broke the rod in half and then jammed the lower half of the rod thru into #2 cylinder. That convinced #2 rod to lose it's cap also. Amazing how much stuff can happen in a second or so.

NEXT!

Attachments

GFinch

The next victim will be ready after a while, depends on other peoples schedules and $$$$.
Two week ends before I killed the Cat I had removed the lip from the pad. Whoever had repaired it in the past had their own idea of what it should be. I did this after seeing this post and talking with another nameless person.

http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=5557

It was my decision alone to do this. The more I sanded the more I was convinced the lip was tampered with.
Driving at speeds over 85 to the top speed of 95 was like sitting on a beach ball placed on a teeter totter. Didn't hold it at 95 because the bow would suddenly drop and I had hooked the boat a couple of times at this point. This was probably due to me backing out of the throttle to fast when it dropped and causing the hook.
After the lip was removed the speed dropped 5 mph, but the boat was very drivable. The next couple of times to the lake I raised the engine up, a little at a time, and regained all the speed back +1 mph. The boat remained very stable thru all lake conditions and speeds. The bow did drop at 95 but it wasn't sudden or as much, it just settled. I could drive at full speed for as long as lake conditions allowed.

Now the rest of the story. I had checked the timing pointer the evening before and found it to be correct. I got to the lake at day break warmed it up and checked the timing, found it at 16 degrees and reset it to 17. No other changes were made. Put it on plane and ran at part throttle a minute or two making sure it was warmed up completely.
The first run seemed like I had a partly fouled plug, hind sight it was starting to burn up. The second run was ended in the sound of silence. Engine locked solid. Got towed in and was on the trailer as the sunlight started hitting the launch ramp.
I should have turned the knob richer after I bumped the timing up that one degree.

With all that said and done, now I will start repairing the lips. First the lip on the side of the pad that runs front to back, it's missing about 4" on one side and 3" on the other. At the same time putting a layer over the area where the lip was originally, bringing it back flat front to rear across the back of the pad.

#1 is a tic trimmed under
#2 is neutral trim
#3 is a tic trimmed over
You can see a roll of water where the hull contacts the water.

Attachments

GFinch

Gary, I'll make you a good deal on a 250XS
Why, you buy a pair of oars and oar locks. Tell me how much so I can see how much $$$ I would save by going to the dark side.
Only 250hp I would be going backwards, but fowards at the same time.

GFinch

Sack O Cats rebirth.
Block and front half are done.
Pistons being cut/lightened then off for top pinning.
Electronics, harness, started.

Hull.
Pad edges straight.
Strakes on pad straight.
Gel coat work at rear done.

Attachments

J

John Richied

Boat work and engine work, you must be gunning for that Badbait guy

GFinch

No one's safe, everyone's on the list. Only thing unknown is Who's first. Any takers.
Naaa, I'll start at the bottom and slowly work my way up one rung at a time.
So lets see.......... John's first. :twisted evil
Then maybe the Cozy King.
Stinkbait's got a place in here somewhere.
How about it Jay where do you want your turn?

Win or lose I'm going to have FUN. Just like at the other 2 WAR's I've attended.

Hopefully this project will be done so I can get some set up and seat time before having to travel to Clear Lake. O'well hopefully done and running at least.

propmanjay

Might as well run me first, I'm always ready. Better bring it hard, if it dosn't blow the SS is runnig the best it has buy far. And your right win or loose it will be fun.

R

Redding XB21

I wonder if Donny will find his socket? Ole Mr. B boat has not spoken up for awhile. I wonder if he's gonna show. Probably afraid of our 21's:big grin

And Gary you're on right after Jay spanks ya. We're all gonna get some!

GFinch

Might as well run me first, I'm always ready. Better bring it hard, if it dosn't blow the SS is runnig the best it has buy far. And your right win or loose it will be fun.
Shouldn't have sold the NO2.
Didn't you have a bad elbow at the last WAR. Was it the air chucks, like I had a problem with.
First we got to get everything togeather, then I can open the "Can O Woop ***"

Oh, I see the bad word police are at the ready. Wish they would correct my spelling too.

propmanjay

It was a reconstructed shoulder and I just had more surgery last month. The good news is that I now have about 90 percent of my range back. Gary you must have found at least 100 more horse power sence I last saw your boat run. Good job, you are going to need all of it.