Tested 26 trophy

suicidealli

They were not designed to be surfaced. I think the trophy is a stronger prop than the newer cast, from what I have read. That good china steel.... Lol this 26 I'm running is a flo torq, so it isn't real old... I have a 25 that is a solid hub.

GotMyAlly

Good info, thx catfish! With a Trophy diameter of a bit over 13", and running even with the pad, almost half the prop (5.5 - 6.5)" of prop is running out of the water (surfaced). Tells me everything I need to know, assuming that you spun it up to 7k rpm....

Richard
Roy's boat is a lot lighter than yours. Everything else being equal, pushing a heavier boat is going to put more stress on one.

Jim cracked 2 blades on a brand new Alli-cut trophy. Put it on for a test run, backed her in the water, made one pass 2 miles down the lake and back, and put her back on the trailer. 2 blades cracked.............and that was with a 225. Granted it was a 3.0 that probably has more torque, but still..........

Alli-drenaline Rush

Thx Neal and Roy.... I was thinking Trophy Plus - no Ally cut (and no lab finish).... but it seems like no way to not run at least partially-surfaced.... gotta stay vigilant, and not spin it to the max....

Key Puckett likely to finish rigging at mid-month.....

fenwayfear

I run my trophy plus 27 an 1/8" below with no issues. Three batts and a good size fishing load. Now with that being said I am still in the learning phase with my XB03 (she still wiggles with me at around 70).

In short the TP27 stock has a lot thicker blades than my other props(hoss, etc..)

fishnfireman

If I remember right ?? There was a post on here by one of the old timers, that gave the numbers of which Merc props were made with the BAD metal.
I know there were a few years that most of Merc,s props were cracking and slinging blades when put on hi-po boats. Merc finally figured out what the problem was and changed metallurgy.

I have still got a 3 eared Pro ET.

But I also had a couple of the older Trophy's with the Allison cut that were driven around the world and back with no issues.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the other prop manufacturers told me the Ally cut makes them faster but also increases the chance of slinging a blade by weakening it. This was a couple years ago when I visited them.

chad202

I've only ran one 26(just to try) and that was back when I had my Blazer. Since then a 25 trophy plus has been one of my favorite fishing props. The first two were worked for a heavier boat needing bow lift. My blazer would fish mid 80s with just me and 80-82 fishing with two aboard. That was with a 225 promax with limiter raised and compression at 140. Next was the 03 and a 260. Another 25 trophy plus but worked for heavier boat ran ran 95-96 with two aboard. I prefer running a prop with lots of bow lift. I can run it higher and still use less trim. On my 02/260ish, another 25 trophy plus with a generic work job runs over 100 loaded to fish. What I like about over/thru is that I can tune them in real good for holeshot which fishing in south louisiana is very important. I need a prop that'll get up on 1.5 - 2' and quick. Typically loaded to fish an over the hub prop will not do that.

harrells

Roy, I run a 28 trophy plus early in the spring instead of the hydromotive, just because the lakes around here have some debri floating early in the season. All 4 holes plugged and 1/4 below pad on the 3.0l.I still have to feather the pedal out of the hole, but i also have to do the same with the hydromotive. But i like the trophy as a spare, and it was cheap.

suicidealli

Ok went fishing today.. All 4 holes plugged I couldn't tell any difference. Still slips.
Not happy with that. I had all my gear, live well full only 2 fish.lol 100 mph, and I didn't like it on the big end. The back of the boat was dancin around a little to much. Kinda like a cleaver, but not that bad. I don't think i Would like this prop with an empty boat.. Prolly better with a passenger.. Prolly a better prop for an 03, or a good driver in an 02. Not for a rookie on the big end..JMO
An ally cut on this prop makes it better. You remove a little of the blade, so there would be less stress, because the blade is going to be just a little smaller. not much difference tho. My boat is light so a tourney could be different..
I know this 26 runs like a 27 or a loose 28... Mid range to 85 mph runs beautiful. It is a great fishing prop... All you guys that fish all the time you won't be disappointed in a 4 blade trophy....JMO

Roy

etnprop

Merc also makes a blowout ring for the Trophy as well as four sizes of plugs... I got'em if you need'em.... Joe

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blow out ring slides on the barrel to eliminate the big gap where exhaust comes out over the hub.

GotMyAlly

Roy runnin' a Trophy...............I dun heard it all now! The world really is gonna end in 2012! :big grin:big grin

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have one welded on my gear case. Don't know if it would work for me. I need to add some tip cup, or leave it as it is..
You have the lip on the outside of the gearcase? This is different. This blowout ring is a plastic ring that slips on the bottom of the barrel of the prop, probably 1/4" thick, and seals up the gap between the prop barrel and gearcase. That way the exhaust doesn't come outside the barrel of the prop.

Last edited:

suicidealli

No, I have a welded on extension blow out ring. Adds about 1 1/8 longer than a stock case.
Neal, I never thought it would happen either...lmao. I will try any prop once... They do run better than I thought...

Roy