Tested 26 trophy

suicidealli

I can see why a lot of you guys like them. This was a trophy, not a trophy plus. I put an ally cut on it, I copied from another one.

Possitives:
They run extremely low slip at lower rpms.
5000 3.3% 68mph
6000 2.8% 82mp
Low slip on the big end too.
carry a load great
plenty of bow lift
Also lifts the stern as well. Never seen a prop do both as well as this one.

Negatives:
Slips coming out of the hole, I tested with no plugs. Isn't horrible tho.
63-75 I had to drive the boat more than normal. I was wheeling it 3/8" above
This prop doesn't like to spin big rpms, kinda locks up, hits a wall
Doesnt like to make turns 75-85, it wants to dip, and wiggle around.

Questions:
how much do the plugs help out of the hole, and where can you get them?
Are you guys running these props lower in reference to the pad?
it seemed like that is what it wanted...

If I had a 200-225 I think this would be a great prop...... Runs like a 28p

Roy

Last edited:

suicidealli

come on guys lets here some comments.... do they leave better with plugs??
does the trophy plus run better, if so how? i have been told the plus runs better.
are the 4 blade trophys blade slingers?????

roy

catfish123

Roy,

I ran Trophy props a lot on my XB2003 with 200 Promax and then with the 225X. I have had several of them in a 26 pitch, one in a 25 pitch, and my ski prop is still a Trophy 23 pitch. Although I ran them for years, I never slung a blade or even cracked a blade. The holeshot with the 26's was never great, but I never believed it to be real bad either. With a 26 at around 6850 rm's, I was getting about 87.5 mph. Many guys don't like Trophy props for a variety of reasons, but for an every day, rather inexpensive prop, I always thought they ran pretty well. Adjusting the "holes" on the barrel can help holeshot issues.

GotMyAlly

come on guys lets here some comments.... do they leave better with plugs??
Depends if it's slipping without 'em......

If it's breaking loose, plugging the holes will help. But I've got a feeling with your offshore exhaust, there's not a whole lot of exhaust going through the prop hub anyway.......in which case it probably wouldn't make much difference.

Alli-drenaline Rush

Questions:
how much do the plugs help out of the hole, and where can you get them?
Are you guys running these props lower in reference to the pad?
it seemed like that is what it wanted...

Roy
Roy I have some Plugs for my 27p Tempest.... The solid plug is Merc p/n 19-889725. The same plug with a small vent hole (1/4" hole) is 19-889725028. The same plug with a medium vent hole (11/32" hole) is 19-889725035.

The OD of the plugs are 3/4"....... Should be interchangeable with the Trophy....

Hope this helps.....

Richard

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder how much the ally cut changes one? The plugs do tighten them up at lower speeds.

suicidealli

Mine slips just before it breaks over it jumps up about 1000 rpms to about 5000, and then hooks up. If I baby it will sit there and slip.
I will measure the holes. Thanks guys.
Roy

bec

Only had my trophy plus out two times since I bought it a couple of months ago and it has great holeshot with the factory plugs that came in it this is on a standard 20 mid 280. 1/4 below pad mid 70s so far still learning to drive.

Alli-drenaline Rush

BTW Roy - Merc calls it a PVS - Performance Vent System - so hopefully the dealer will know what you're talking about when you tell him you want some PVS plugs.... Last I recall they might be a dollar a plug. Comes in a little pouch of 5 plugs....

Richard

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know Joe (etnprop) has a bunch at his shop of various sizes. I bet any marina/dealer would have them.

suicidealli

I will find something at home cheapo. I don't want to waste joes time for 5 bucks.... It is 60 miles to the closest merc dealer.. I'm not sure they know which end the props goes on there. Anyone have a pic of what they look like. Is there a lip that goes past the edge to hold them in? I was thinking like a door panel push plug. I'm sure that will work..

Roy

xb03fs

roy if you don't want to go to home cheapo, you can just epoxy them shut and bring a cordless drill with various bit sizes.

In the summer time once, not saying it was the brightest idea but jumped in the water and drilled them floating in my lifejacket...when tweaking it for slaloming

suicidealli

I'm starting by plugging all the holes up completely. See if it even makes a difference. I have an O/S mid, but i know there is plenty of exhaust going trough it.. I can see some slight exhaust color a prop after running. It runs well, if the plugging the holes don't work, I'm going to add some cup. Pretty impressive for a through hub exhaust prop. I can see why Darris liked them.... Kinda afraid to really twist it up with a dishing load... I don't want to sling a blade. I turned it 7000 the other day, at 95, but with 1.75 gears that prop is humming....

Roy

Alli-drenaline Rush

Roy I was thinking about the propensity of Trophys to sling blades.... I figured thru-hub would be more robust (less likely to sling a blade) than over-hub, due to the shorter lever arm working on the blade resulting in less fatigue stress where the blade meets the hub ..... Thoughts? Am I completely wet????

Does anybody run a Trophy surfaced?

Richard

catfish123

I ran Trophy props for years at even with the pad on my XB2003.......I don't know if that counts as "surfaced" or not, but I never had a problem with any of them.

Alli-drenaline Rush

Good info, thx catfish! With a Trophy diameter of a bit over 13", and running even with the pad, almost half the prop (5.5 - 6.5)" of prop is running out of the water (surfaced). Tells me everything I need to know, assuming that you spun it up to 7k rpm....

Richard

JOEALLY

I ran a 27 trophy plus (stock) on my 1st xb2003/200xs for a full year at 1/4" belw pad with no issues. It ran low 80s fishing load but was a little stiff or the 200.

I ran a 26 trophy on my current setup at 1" above several trips last spring with no issues. Mids 80s on the 6850 rpm limiter hard.