Standard Sized Sportmaster Propshaft

2003225X

Are these prop shafts known for issues and breaking?

I have seen people say they are nothing but trouble and others say they have run them with no issues.

Bobalouie

Not sure which is standard (small or fatshaft) but the small shaft did have some breaking issues which was why Merc switched to the Fatshaft. That being said, there are an awful lot of people who still run a small shaft with no issues. I havent ever heard of an issue with the fatshaft.

TBuck2003

The issues with breaking Matt came from more of the "Offshore guys" jumping waves and re entering with 5-900 horsepower as an example. This was twisting the shafts apart. There has been very few outboard casualties from propshaft breakage in comparison. This is why they went to the 1.25" inch Fat Shaft. Can it happen...Yes Is it likely...No

GotMyAlly

Popping wheelies will break them.......just ask Andy. He left a prop on the bottom of Pickwick within sight of JP Coleman.

chad202

Personally I don't like the heavy duty prop shaft or drive shaft in the sportmaster. They are carbon steel and tend to pit up which causes them to weaken. I run the regular stainless shafts and never had any issues with breaking.

suicidealli

I agree to much carbon... A loose thrust washer can start to cut the shaft a little too.
The shafts I have seen break are usually from pits. When they break you can see tiny viens of rust in the shaft. Starts at the pits and works its way in the shaft.... Just what I have seen. I repair them when the pits start. I run the small shafts.

Roy

xb03

I agree to much carbon... A loose thrust washer can start to cut the shaft a little too.
The shafts I have seen break are usually from pits. When they break you can see tiny viens of rust in the shaft. Starts at the pits and works its way in the shaft.... Just what I have seen. I repair them when the pits start. I run the small shafts.

Roy
Do you repair them or replace them??

whipper

Mines a small shaft still no issues and its on a small conned case. Not sure if the case has anything to do with the shafts strength or not? 96 promax. i have gotten away from running 30 pitched props because I feel that adds stress over smaller pitched props just to be a little proactive.