sport master blow out

john4ut

Probationary User
I'am buying a new merc 280 and putting it on a ss2000, the motor comes with a sportmaster lower unit. I have always been told a sportmaster lower unit will blow out at high speeds. I want to try a sportmaster lower unit with a Titus nose cone, but hate to waste my money on it if it dosen't work. I know a torquemaster lower unit with a JC nose cone runs great, and I don't have to worry about blowing out, but I do have to worry about the skeg breaking off. Which one should I go with.

ALLISONMAN

dont worry about the sportmaster!!! let it ride it is great till speeds in the mid- teens!!! the only mod I would recomend would be rounding the back of the skeg and welding up the right inlet hole!!! I havent run a titus sportmaster but I am a little leary of cutting the nose off a perfect good sportmaster but I am gonna check it out at the rally!!

GPI Racing

In my opinion the sportmaster is an evil ride on a Supersport. We did the gearcase mod to cure the problem. It was not intended as a money making adventure but since it worked so good now there are lots of guys getting it done. I did the developement because the stock sportmaster sucked. The faster you go the worse it got. The difference is huge in the handling department. You can get a sportmaster to go fast, just hang on...for sooner or later it will come around.

Randy

Yellowallison

HUH AMAN!!

The man asked about a 280 with a SM on a SS ........ Not some ole slow bassboat like yu got...

bout Next time.. Yu only speak unless we jank Yur chain - OK! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It next week YET! - dang I ready to have fun!

:p :p :p

ALLISONMAN

HELL i have glenn reynolds hang it out there with a stock sportmaster on there and as a matter of fact his 2001 river runner has a stock sportmaster on there this past weekend!!!!!! I just watch and learn because i dont know any better and i reckon glenn doesnt either!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

Yellowallison

AMAN??

Are Yu talking about the same XR2001 RIVER RIVER that didn't loose a pass and WON super stock in ODBA - SC... runnin the same SM that won ODBA - SUPER STOCK in 2004!

also I know my

SM that LEE SANDERSON tweaked for me.. only ran 104 on YeallrI and I even got pictures and video of it with my hands off the wheel up over the windshield...

GET R DUNNNN??????

ALLISONMAN

ACTUALLY scott it was dale's rr (glenn's brother) boat but its still a 2001 with a nice 260 on her!!!!

GPI Racing

My point would be how many of you can drive like Glen Reynolds? It shouldn't take that kind of skill and when I post here I am generally aiming my comments at the average type of Allison owner. So, with a grain of salt, keep in mind the "average" Allison owner/driver would be better served with the coned Titus version. Also, I would have to say that I am a reasonably good Ally pilot :shock: and I'm quicker and faster with it also. I didn't go 130 with a side steer XR2002 with a sportmaster.......tried it...bad idea. The 129 run was with a nice modified gearcase...the proto to the Titus/GPI case now being done.

Randy

Yellowallison

Hold on-- this is gettin good.. Let me go get my violin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GPI!!!! :!: :!: :!:

Is yur TITUS/GPI GC's a Female - married or single that dont matter..... :?:

-- if so - yu might want to watch ole AMAN at the rally.. He might lay down his line of smack on her and yu be going home with nothing but yur powerhead and Midsection with yur motor toter hanging off the back ......... :( :( :( :(

Said sumthing bout he gunna break his rally record.. and have 5 in 4 rallies. :mrgreen:

ALLISONMAN

i see also randy but a modified case would be faster but not as durable of as safe!! if you cant drive the boat how can making it go faster be safer!!! it would just get you into a bad case scenio at a higher speed-right??? not trying to argue the fact but how about long term on the modified sportmaster with all that welding??? the case is surley a little warped, heated, and distorted when welding on this cone. not saying you can straighten the outside but what about metal quality from the heat. same thing that everyone has a problem with the welded on torque tabs!! now for someone like yourself who can and will ring out everybit of performance out of a boat the extra speed and mods is perfect fit!!! i would venture to say 90% of the people here havent even run 100mph or even 95% of there boat capability!!! hell i dont even think I have run 95%of my boat capibility for that matter!!! my 280 has only run 106 and they claim a 225 will run one 101 so im off a bit!!! but i havent had a 225 pass me yet either :D welp we can contunie this conversation at the rally cause i am curious about this gearcase and durabilty and handling issue and I would like to hear your side of the whole deal!! maybe one day I will get me a fast boat!!! see ya randy and by the way my feathers arent ruffled either just stating the way I see the matter and I love to hear a different approach cause that is when I learn something!!!!! :D

ALLISONMAN

yeller your so full of chit it aint even funny!!!!!!!! 5 in 4 rallys dang I would be the man then but that aint gonna happen!!!!

john4ut

Probationary User
WHAT ABOUT A TORQUEMASTER LOWER UNIT WITH A JC NOSE CONE ON IT. IS IT GOING TO LAST LONGER THAN A SPORTSMASTER AND IS IT FASTER THAN A SPORTSMASTER, I ONLY HAVE ONE DAY TO DECIDE WHAT TO DO. I GOT TO HAVE THIS MOTOR BROKE IN BY THE ALLISON RALLY.

J

John Richied

I would go with a stock Sportmaster right now, and since the rally is right around the corner it will be faster for you as far as time… Then you can always have it modified as needed.

I use to have a Torquemaster with a Bob’s nosecone and it was a kick arse gear case until the epoxy started cracking…

I’m really NOT a big fan of gearcases with epoxy… Sooner or later the epoxy will crack, its not IF it will crack, but when.

GPI Racing

Allisonman,

Are you going to the rally? If so you can see some of this stuff and try it if you like. Then you can be the judge. Even though I know the answer already I'd love to see your reaction before and after. I'm not trying to sell gearcases..I have enough to do already. But if makes your package better it's worth a look in my book.

Yellow,

I don't get your point at all.?..As for strength ..I have 2 years worth of testing at speeds of 140+. No failures yet.

John4ut,

Get the sportmaster...I'll let you try a modified sporty at the rally, I'll have a demo case in a short shaft there (a long shaft one too). Then you can be your own judge. I think what you will find is what I have been TRYING to say on this post since the beginning. It will be easier to drive and your boat will handle better...if it does it will be easier for you to obtain a higher level of performance. I don't get the problem with that..

Randy

Yellowallison

RANDY..

I don't get your point at all.?..As for strength ..I have 2 years worth of testing at speeds of 140+. No failures yet.

it was JOKE on AMAN taking home yur GC if shes a woman.. nuthing to do about strength.. we all know yu ran 140!!

Gueess it a southern thing.. I don't knwo any Yankee JOKES!! HHAaA

anyhow Yu said SM suck.. I kinda disagree.. since 75% of all ODBA boats run a SM.. On my SM I was able to tweak on i till I could run with my hand off the wheel at 100+.. for many many 10 yrs I ran a 200case with BOBS I put on myself.. was the best running GC ever till it started leaking oil throught the pours on the metal housing.. which was crazyest thing when there was no cracks at all on teh housing- matel fatique we assumed... so I switched over a SM and started teakin on it.. Lee sanderson did the first mods and they helped a bunch.. I then tweaked on it more after that and got it running and handling great..

AHH Forget all this the GC smack.... I ready to get this week over and head to TENN!

Next week I could care less who boat is faster than who except for next saturday when I be racing YeallrII in ODBA/Winchester Tenn..

Till then all I wanta do is relax , eat and drink ...... and have good lil vacation hanging with some good ole Ally BUDS!

GET R DUNNN!

GPI Racing

Yellow,

I do agree with you now that I can understand your writings. That's sometimes the problems with boards like this...the true meanings get jumbled. I look forward to tossing a few with you.

Randy

Yellowallison

RANDDDDYYY!!

CYA there....... and be ready to SMACK IT UP WITH ME AND aman AND lulu AND ALL THE OTHERS..

and I knwo yu know how to smack.. I seen yu smackin it last year with the GOATs at the ACUFF at about 3am..

CYA THERE........ :mrgreen:

J

John Richied

Randy watch that Yeller feller… he push ya in da water right off da dock… LOL

Plus he is hard for all of us to understand, but he sure can drive an Allison… so we luvs him! :mrgreen: I know, we ain't right, but then who is... :wink:

Yellowallison

PINKIE??????

I luv YU Too.. !!!!! soooooooo -------

Whattime is YUr Plane landing in Knoxville-- DaGGUMIT!

and yu aint got NO excuses cuz yur out excuses bank is overdrawn for all the EXCUSES yue used on why XXX runin YY .......... spanked YUR booty!

GET R DUNNNNNNNNN

ALLISONMAN

yeller is alot bigger on the internet than in person anyway!!!!! and yes randy I want to see the gearcases!!! just ??ing the process and the effects cause unlike alot of others I dont jump the bandwagon and get the latest up to date speed item!!! I want to see results and understand the reason for the improved performance!!! once i can see the process then I will be able to make my mind up whether it is worth having or not!!! I am really curoius about the svs deal on the promax and top speed deal!!! i have seen too many times the svs helping none on top end and on my 280 I could tell no difference when I borrowed one!!! I know from others testing the svs it really didnt help until 8500 + rpms so we will see!!!!!