Smaller Allisons?

mxzx

Seeing the pic of that new 15' Ally in the for sale section has me interested. What kind of speeds are the smaller Allisons safely capable of? What kind of HP needed? A smaller Ally would be a cool boat to have!

racerx

That's great Jack is building them they could be the future for racing since 2.5s are gone and they would be a blast with smaller motors that are cheap on gas can pull it with a 40 plus miles to the gallon car and still get your ya yas as long as it out runs a jet ski..

GotMyAlly

I'd like to have one for a rally boat. If they were priced right, I wouldn't even care if it sat in the garage the rest of the year.

Wouldn't even need a trailer....I could just throw one of those in the bed of the truck!

Lotus 50

How would the 15 foot work as a water ski boat with a 375 lb DI engine on it? I could replace my 16' Baja:)

John S

That's great Jack is building them they could be the future for racing since 2.5s are gone and they would be a blast with smaller motors that are cheap on gas can pull it with a 40 plus miles to the gallon car and still get your ya yas as long as it out runs a jet ski..
Louie, I'll get one if you and Jason do.

TBuck2003

Seeing the pic of that new 15' Ally in the for sale section has me interested. What kind of speeds are the smaller Allisons safely capable of? What kind of HP needed? A smaller Ally would be a cool boat to have!
I have a 13R built from Paul's original molds. It has a 2 cylinder 60 h.p. Evinrude short shaft on it. The class is called T-750 and we race it up in Canada. With a 225lb driver and 3 gallons of gas on the course these boats run 55-60 mph. Same boat with a 3cylinder OMC will run 65-70. So a 15' with like a 90 Yamaha, or OMC V-4, would be well into high 70's. A merc V-6 would not be a good option for a 15'. An inline 6 1500xs would be the biggest I would run on it... A hot V-4 would be the Cats A**

mxzx

Sounds like a 15 would make a great budget lake rocket. 70+mph would feel real quick in such a small boat!

K.Kiser

I miss that size boat, and that light.. With cable/pulley steering it feels like you're wearing the boat.. Very solid connection from the seat of the pants to the wheel, to the hull..

John Tiger

my 15 has a crossflow 140 that weighs less than 300 lbs. With that engine, when I step in the stern of the boat, it will take on water. So a heavier engine would not work well, except to go fast on the top end. These boats were purpose built for the engines of the day, the 1500j/xs Merc and the OMC crossflow V4--anything larger and their usability will go way down. It's true that this package, set up and rigged correctly, will give a good driver a lot of control (you can move the boat at speed with your body, steering input and trim) and a big thrill at 75+ mph. Hard to beat for thrill-per-dollar.

BGohr

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I'm sending Jack a center section next week to get cut. I shouldn't of sold the last one. I may just sell the 2002 since I don't use it either and turn it into another 15, it's easier to move around. I'm thinking either all white, or white and Bahama blue, since I have a new Evinrude XP100 hood upstairs...............

Attachments

Last edited:

michael j giesler

Yep I would put a v4 or a 1500xs on it it would drive like a dream and Bill who you kidding you aren't selling your baby but if you a are I know someone that will give you $32 grand for it

BGohr

He doesn't have any money, we went through this last time, there's another interested party now

mxzx

For newer motors it looks like a 90hp Etec is around 300lbs. Anything new over 100hp for Merc or Evinrude is pushing 400lbs. Wonder how a 15' would run with a 90 Etec?