Seems to have been some confusion on Powerheads 225/260!!!

XSive

I was reading one of my old Bass & walleye Boat mags and specifically John T's article on replacin' 280 electronics with 260 stuff and the SVS bla bla bla..

Short of running the serial #....

How can you tell if it is a 280 with 260 electronics or just a 260?

J

John Richied

My last 280 and current 225 ProMax have both had 260 electronics and flywheel on them.

As my last 280 block had cast in the block, there will be the mounts for the 280 60 amp alternator system on the port top sided of the block if it’s a 280 block.

Also the head bolt pattern on a 280 is wider then a 260. Now they can and I own a set of 260/300 drag heads that have been machined so the 260/300 drag heads bolt up with a 280 block (the wider pattern) and O-ringed. But if it’s a 280 block you should be able to lay 260 head gaskets on the deck and the head bolts should NOT line up.

XSive

John Richied said:
My last 280 and current 225 ProMax have both had 260 electronics and flywheel on them.

As my last 280 block had cast in the block, there will be the mounts for the 280 60 amp alternator system on the port top sided of the block if it

Chummy

I might be wrong but 280 heads are there own and not interchangable with anything else from what I have found out so far. Someone let me know if I am wrong

ALLISONMAN

yeah chummy you can enlongate the holes on the 260 style heads and use head gaskets on a 280!!!! my race heads are old sytle 260 26cc heads that have been cut down!!!!

hack02

A man I was wondering why Chummy has been eyeing the extra set of heads hanging on the wall in my shop. Chummy, I think we could get a stud kit for your block and hammer the studs over towards the pistons and bolt up a set of 260 heads. Let me know what you think. I've got two sizes of hammer, 16 ounce for the fine work and 28 ounce for the stubborn ones.

ALLISONMAN

HACK you shouldnt have smoked ole chummy so bad cause now he looking for some more power!!!!! hey chummy you could step up and buy you a nice allison :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hack02

He works on my A-boat so much he probably feels like he owns one now. The big water here is starting to make him want something bigger and heavier.
Whatever he gets you can bet it will have a sunpad on the back for his harem to hang out on. You should see some of the pics he keeps on his phone of the talent he has riding on the back of his boat. Makes an old man blush.

ALLISONMAN

but i thought chummy was a left coastish???? :p :p :p :p :p you sure that wasnt boys in thongs!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
\

just messing with ya brad and damn hack when you gonna have that thing at a drag race???????

Darth VMAX

BP said:
First I am hearing of your story, but I am glad that it is all a misunderstanding, and you weren't just another victim.

Your e-bay auction says you never ran it past "break-in" and it only had "30 minutes of run time"so I don't imagine you can report how it ran with the mismatched components?

I have never seen this done before, so I am trying to "think outside the box" as to how it would be an improvement over a well set up,standard 260 horn arrangement.
Curious, because I have a 260 and a Promax sitting here (both in need of repairs) and wonder if it is worthwhile combination or a step backwards.

Thanks if you care to respond and good luck on your future endevors!
I have no idea how these 2.5's work with mis-matched parts but I know with Yamaha's, Hydro-Tec has perfected useing combinations of parts from different Yamaha motors to extract a LOT of power and performance over a stock motor, at least with the 2.6L Yammies this is true.

JaySmithRacing

I normally only rebuild the customer's core and they ALWAYS get THIER modified pieces and USED PARTS back( Unless they are damaged beyond use and at that time WE have discussed and BOTH agreed on the changes IN WRITING) . If a vender should sell a "mix and match" engine in its entireity its only a matter of honesty and integrety to disclose to the untrained eye ( buyer ) exactly what he's getting at the time of the sale ( not for the buyer to learn at a later date by doing reasearch or someone else's knowledge ) for his hard earned spent money and the two should agree IN WRITING. After all the customer is putting his trust in that "honest" vendor and he ( the buyer ) should'nt be decieved, mislead or lied too in any way shape or form about what he is buying...As far as grinding serial numbers from blocks if I were a perspective buyer and this was a practice of the potiential seller I'd look for someone that wasn't trying to either HIDE serial number trying to decieve what he's selling or mask a questional motor ( maybe stolen )....Dunno but I AIN'T and DON'T do business like that as everyone that deals with me knows. I have always been told
" One can do business with a customer forever you can only screw one once " ( Or twice according to how nieve and gulable the buyer is and willing to listen to that salesman's BS and or excuses for the buyers being not happy with the transaction..) Maybe thats the reason 75% of our business is from repeat customers and or from word to mouth from satisified customers to thier friends and we STAY covered up......Not to say "mixed and match " engines that have be mated don't run OK but the seller and the buyer should be in agreement with all aspects of the sale and should know EXACTLY what he's getting for his money !!!

My opinion,

Jay @ JSRE

J

John Richied

Said well and well said Jay… I understand completely. :wink: