Seems to have been some confusion on Powerheads 225/260!!!

Yellowallison

Lately there has people been sold POWERHEADS that didn't get what they thought they bought or was told cause they didn't know the differences. So Yeallr is offerin to help a little!!!!!!

If yur PH has Laser style injection system with steel bores then yu have a 225PM not a 260!!

If yur PH has a AIR HORN and yu pull the heads and it has NIC coated sleeves then YES yu have a true 260!!

Also be careful for 260 AIR HORNS stuck on a PM steel sleeve block called a 260!! Might look like a 260!! But it aint a 260 unless itz been ported... :wink:

or

If yu have a 260 block with LASER STYLE/PM injection then yu have a wanta be 260 that runs like its 3 legged dog! :wink:

Basically if any one has questions to what you have actually been sold/told.... send me PM or ring my phone 904-854-3226 and I will glad to help yu like I have done few others! :p :p

Rember..from my experience -- jus cause they are PRETTY COLORS doesn't mean they GET R DUN !!!

Hope this HELPS!! YELLAR!

B

BP

Good post Yeller.
Since there a variety of Allison owners on here with varying degrees of mechanical ability, this type of post can be most helpful.
There are honest mistakes and then there wolves preying on sheep.

We as Allison owners should be helping each other regardless of personality differences!!

FlatOutAlly

Question?

Mine has the 'good sh!t' out back and (some of the) 'crap' up front. How would I be then numerically classified, oh giver of the Divine opinion......

:shock:

Your right. Lot's of this going on now. Seems like the 70's again.

ALLISONMAN

real good post there yeller!!!!!!!!! wow though people would sell promaxs as 260's??????? hope they are not vendors here :wink: :wink: :wink:

oh yeah a 225 promax could never be a 260 because of boost port differences

B

BP

I know some bust open there piggy banks for this hobby and I hate to hear of people getting burned.....so here are some other engine purchase tips, just in case Yellow and Allisonman are off fighting crime in some far away land and not availiable to take your call :lol:

Get an engine number before purchase ( make sure it isn't ground off).

Make sure there is full disclosure of any welds, repairs etc (even if repaired correctly, you could hurt yourself @ re-sale time).

Do a leakage test or have an independant party do one before even starting it up. (ideally, pull the heads as YA mentioned)

Insist on pictures if you cant look at it personally.

PM other Allison owners that you know may have done business with an individual or vendor.

Use the search function on this site to research.

Get an accurate and detailed "Bill of Sale" if purchasing from a legitimate business.

Make sure any warranty terms are clearly spelled out and in writing (it should be written to protect both parties).

Which auto manufacture currently offers the best new car warranty???
The answer is Hyundai :roll:
It's nice to have a warranty because it shows a commitment on the sellers part, but don't confuse it with quality.
I'd sure rather have an operational engine than a warranty repair in July

K

Kevin from FL

PM other Allison owners that you know may have done business with an individual or vendor.
Or you can just post who you are thinking about buying from here first and let the Allison owners PM you what they know.

XSive

This is a great post, very educational. Thanks YA for starting such a GREAT post. :D

One other thing you can do to protect/enlighten yourself is take the serial number and have the factory authorized dealer run it through the computer and let you know what it is and its history.

There are typically two locations for serial numbers, one on the mid section and one on the block, stamped at the crankcase halves by the throttle linkage.

If these don't match the powerhead is not original.

Maybe AMan of Scotty can help out. Factory replacement PH's or blocks... Do they have the serial number stamped into the they block? Is there nothing? :?: If there is no serial number on the block how can someone tell what it is?

ziemer

The last 260 I bought was a factory replacement powerhead and it has a serial number stamped in the block along with a production date stamp.

(It is a 98' motor that was a warranty replacement.)

ALLISONMAN

yes the factory replacement blocks had numbers stamped on them for identification!!!!! if anyone has a block that the id numbers have been ground off that motor is either stolen or someone is trying to hide what it actually is!!!!

Yellowallison

JUs for the record.................

When RUCK does work to a BLOCK ----- He don't change the serial number!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Casey G

the safest thing to do is never buy an assembled motor. that way you know what you got before you run it. hell it's even a good idea to take them apart and check them out if there new from mercury.

Lane

ziemer
That was my ally that you are talking about with the laser injection.
Let me clear the air
The block was a 260 with all nicacil sleeves
I wanted a reliable motor, smooth idle, etc.
I was so tired of blowing up horn motors I could puke and they were not from GPI
I knew I was getting laser injection
In GPI defence..... I listed the motor wrong and I corrected it when a couple of you pointed it out to me.(you know who you are) thanks. I made a mistake and I owned up to it. I'm not perfect, but I see Randy is getting beat up over this and I feel like it is my fault.
Also I will say this, he is great to deal with and he will go out of his way to help. I know a few of you rant and rave about a certain allison/performance dealer and he is the only one to go to. But not all of us are within driving distance to do business there. So the point I'm getting to is , if I hear that someone had a bad experience with this certain dealer that a few of you swear by, does that give me the right to get on here and bash the hell out of him? and try to ruin his crediability when I have never dealt with him. WHEN YOU DEAL WITH THE PUBLIC THERE IS GOING TO BE BAD EXPERINCES NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE If there is a major issue of bad dealing then remember that there is 2 sides to the story and I'm sure no one will KNOW the whole story unless they are the ones involved.
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to clear the air and try to remind people that this is not a perfect world and you can not please everyone even if you give them something for free. I personally have been taken in the past by someone else, but you don't see me on here bashing on the world wide web, I will answer questions privately on my bad experince but thats it.
I'm not trying to step on anyones toes or start another argument. I know a couple of you will take this wrong and turn it around some how but I will still call you my friend. PEACE OUT

B

BP

First I am hearing of your story, but I am glad that it is all a misunderstanding, and you weren't just another victim.

Your e-bay auction says you never ran it past "break-in" and it only had "30 minutes of run time"so I don't imagine you can report how it ran with the mismatched components?

I have never seen this done before, so I am trying to "think outside the box" as to how it would be an improvement over a well set up,standard 260 horn arrangement.
Curious, because I have a 260 and a Promax sitting here (both in need of repairs) and wonder if it is worthwhile combination or a step backwards.

Thanks if you care to respond and good luck on your future endevors!

ziemer

BP said:
I have never seen this done before, so I am trying to "think outside the box" as to how it would be an improvement over a well set up,standard 260 horn arrangement.
I am also curious of how much of an improvement this would be. And is it just an idle quality improvement? It seems that you would be giving up a lot to gain a little. I know my 260 will idle all day long at 700 rpms with no problems. My other one, that's sitting on the garage floor (it's great having a backup :D :wink: ) was the same way.

I can understand the frustration in blowing up motors, but in my opinion, if they're built right and setup right from the start, they will idle, and they will last. :D

(Just for the record, the one on the floor, was running when I pulled it off. It has over 3 seasons on it, in Florida, one of which was a combination of lake boating and racing. Still had 150 lbs. across all 6, and the cylinders looked like new when I pulled the heads. :wink: )

Yellowallison

SAD DEAL to keep gettin EMAILs,PM,Phone calls from folks who have read this post and GO! HUH!! maybe this post explains why my HP POWERED COaTED MERC runs like an 3 legged DOG! :( :( :( :(

and it seems to be 100% common that all these 260 ported ProMAX's and DRAG Ported 280's all run like thay got WEEDS around tha PROP!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I say agin! Hard to beat a STOCK DRAG that TURNS 10,600 every pass out of the BOX or STOCK 280 that runs 40 miles down the lake turning 7500!! :p :p :p :p

and if anybody thinks this is SMACK! it aint!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

ziemer

Yellowallison said:
Hard to beat a STOCK DRAG that TURNS 10,600 every pass out of the BOX or STOCK 280 that runs 40 miles down the lake turning 7500!!
Don't forget a good stock 260 too. They are hard to beat. :wink: Mine pushed my big ol' cruiser to 105+, and I know of 2 others that pushed XB2002's 107 & 110, respectively. :D :D