Ron Hill Yamaha Drag Copy??

xb03

Does or has anyone every ran one of Hill's Drag copy?? How do they compare to the real drag, are they prone to cracking?? I know their cheap, like $280 new.

suicidealli

Well the older ones are cheaper, the newer one are not cheap. Ron went ahead had his props casted. I had an older one that i spent a lot of time working, and it ran very well.
It took awhile to get there. The old pic of my ss out of the water, and riding on the lip was that prop. The older ones have welded blades too. I have had prolly 8 of his props over the years. I cracked one, and he shipped me a new one. I think he has a 6 month warranty... Over all not as good as a real yammi tho. JMO

Roy

Last edited:

rmills280

i bought one that roy had and loved it(23) acceleration was awesome.sold the ss excell so sold all my props, wish i had it back for my ss comp i have now.

GotMyAlly

I had one Ron Hill prop (not a drag) and was not impressed. Well, ran good up to 80. Then it ran 80 at 6000 RPMs, and 80 at 6500 RPMs, and 80 at 6850 RPMs.

suicidealli

All of his old props have a lot of blade roll to them. They hit a wall and just won't turn up. I think he did this so guys wouldn't rev them to the moon, and crack them. There are a few guys I know running the newer ones for lake boating, and say they run good. Billy eaves said they run good too.
I have a 27 3 blade ET Ron hill, that is like 15" dia, and it carries a load great. The biggest think I do to them is balance them.. He is also a believer in having the blades slightly different. His theory is that they fight for the same water, if they are identical. A lot of prop guys agree, but not all. I also have a 4 blade speed master left hand prop that has 2 different kind of blades on the same prop. Back in the day they tried all kinds of stuff!!I have a friend that has won Dsra champ twice I think, and he agrees, if all blades are the same perfectly, they usually don't make the cut. There is a lot to making a good prop, a great prop. Time, and money!!!!!lol
Roy

Last edited:

TBuck2003

All of his old props have a lot of blade roll to them. They hit a wall and just won't turn up. I think he did this so guys wouldn't rev them to the moon, and crack them. There are a few guys I know running the newer ones for lake boating, and say they run good. Billy eaves said they run good too.
I have a 27 3 blade ET Ron hill, that is like 15" dia, and it carries a load great. The biggest think I do to them is balance them.. He is also a believer in having the blades slightly different. His theory is that they fight for the same water, if they are identical. A lot of prop guys agree, but not all. I also have a 4 blade speed master left hand prop that has 2 different kind of blades on the same prop. Back in the day they tried all kinds of stuff!!I have a friend that has won Dsra champ twice I think, and he agrees, if all blades are the same perfectly, they usually don't make the cut. There is a lot to making a good prop, a great prop. Time, and money!!!!!lol
Roy
If the props have a lot of blade roll to them, they will spin a ton of rpm's. That in effect is giving that prop less pitch. I am assuming you mean leading edge rolled up like the Yammi Drag. That is why the Yammi is blistering half track ,then gets pulled the last half. They hit a wall at a certain speed because of effective pitch. I am not saying they are not fast , just saying they are quicker rather than faster. Hill also sells his 4 blade ET copy to people under a different name.

suicidealli

If the props have a lot of blade roll to them, they will spin a ton of rpm's. That in effect is giving that prop less pitch. I am assuming you mean leading edge rolled up like the Yammi Drag. That is why the Yammi is blistering half track ,then gets pulled the last half. They hit a wall at a certain speed because of effective pitch. I am not saying they are not fast , just saying they are quicker rather than faster. Hill also sells his 4 blade ET copy to people under a different name.

Not what I'm talking about Todd. The trailing edge rolls forward a lot. From hub to tip. Not back like a real yammi. I agree that is why a yammi spins up. Not the Ron hill, his are just the opposite. Kinda like trying to push a spoon through the water....

Roy

GotMyAlly

That's exactly how mine ran. I think it was a Hoss copy. Once it hit about 80, it would spin more RPMs, but wouldn't gain any more speed. With slip numbers off the charts, it felt like I was driving through oatmeal. Lots of rpms, lots of noise, lots of spray out the back, but not going anywhere fast.

suicidealli

That's exactly how mine ran. I think it was a Hoss copy. Once it hit about 80, it would spin more RPMs, but wouldn't gain any more speed. With slip numbers off the charts, it felt like I was driving through oatmeal. Lots of rpms, lots of noise, lots of spray out the back, but not going anywhere fast.
The older Hoss is a different prop. About the middle of the blade it starts rolling back to get rid of water. They run awesome on a 2002 and light boats.
That was prolly the stlye you had. They don't like weight. 03-up. They were 14" dia. I have a couple. If you run your hand down the back of the blade you can feel the hump where the blade is "bent" back.
Who knows what robs was like....lol
Roy

Last edited:

TBuck2003

Not what I'm talking about Todd. The trailing edge rolls forward a lot. From hub to tip. Not back like a real yammi. I agree that is why a yammi spins up. Not the Ron hill, his are just the opposite. Kinda like trying to push a spoon through the water....

Roy
I gotcha...

ally2dextreme

With my 100 are so props i ended up with a few Ron Hills and they all sucked,maybe the wrong guy worked them