Ron hill 34p hoss

suicidealli

I picked up a 34p hoss copy that has been labbed. I'm excited about running it. It has less rake than a the normal old stlye hoss, but the same blade shape as the old hoss. It looks like they took some rake out of it to get it to spin up. A guy ran it in one of those top end shoot out runs. It is a lot of pitch for me with 1.75, but it might work on my 1.87 case.. Going to run it on the 1.75 case first. I have ran some big pitch props before. I ran a 34 cleaver on my ss, and it was out of control..lol I ran 109 with a 4 blade hill ET copy 32X15 1/4 dia. It is a lot different driving big wheels.. Anyway I'm curious how the 02 is going to run with it.. I ran 114 with a 31p yammi drag copy with the drag, and 1.87 gear.. I'm working the prop now, so. Will keep your informed...
This 280 doesn't like rpms, but it pulls like a freight train.. It liked the 14 1/2X30 performer. I love running a 100 or a little better with lower rpms. In the 7000-7500 range.. You have to drive them tho........

Roy

Last edited:

TBuck2003

Be careful that is a lot of pitch to be lugging around. I would say 1:87 will be the only viable way to do it. With 1:75's at 7k and 10% slip is 115.9 mph. I do not think that is gonna happen for a couple of reasons but the biggest one being you are not making power in a 280 at 7k. With 1:87's at 7500 and 10% slip you are at 116.2 I wouldn't think it will out run the drag on the same boat. BE CAREFUL more pitch does not always mean more MPH... BTW less rake will not make it turn up better, or rev better. Sometimes more rake will because now you are decreasing diameter, with the blades tilted up more from the centerline. Less rake means blades are laid down more which would increase diameter. With less rake you are also losing bow lift, and increasing tail lift. Sometimes that will make you lose rpm's from having more boat in the water. Good luck...

suicidealli

I agree Todd. Im looking forward to running it.. I don't think it is going to come close to 116..... 109 is the best with the stock 280. I changed to 4 pedal sport jet reeds, and cages, and added a drag spacer Yesterday. I got tired of hearing those carbon fiber reeds making all that noise, and they whistle too. I think it will spin up from the blade design, but the slip is going to be higher... I figure I'm going to be putting the rake back it a little at a time. Still not going to hit the teens no matter what I do... Should be a helll of a ride tho....

Roy

msharp

Ive been lookn for someone that could do that without cutting the blades off and welding them back on !!!! Can you do that with a Hammer ????

suicidealli

It is hard to explain, but I will give it a shot.... It is blade angle kinda on the trailing edge.
We all know what cleavers trailing edge looks like straight, BUT moves
forward= flat rake....
Choppers trailing edge is rounded, and rolls forward = progressive rake.
That is styles of rake if you will.
Now there is aft, 0, Forward rake, in roys terms...lol
Blade angles back = aft rake, ex yammi drag
Straight perpendicular to the hub= 0 rake. A hydro v drive prop
Blade rolls forward= forward rake, ex chopper, ET, trophy

Best I can describe it. I will see if I can find some pics...
A straight line 90* coming from the hub out with a square would be 0 rake...

Roy

Last edited:

suicidealli

you can see how the rake can add lift. i like the progressive rake, i think it goes in the water smoother when your running on the surface.
when the blade angles back, quick, revs fast, but usually more slip. yammi drag. the hoss in the middle of the blade starts to roll back.
this one someone rolled the blades back more than normal..

Last edited:

suicidealli

Ok I ran the 34p hoss. It comes out of the hole pretty good. I flashes about 5000, but launched good.. Prolly planed in 20'. It wouldn't carry the bow, ran real flat. The *** end of the boat was walking sideways when I would trim it up. I was trimmed up pretty high, and had it where it wouldn't walk around. It ran 90 @ 6000 18% slip. It accelerated really well from 40-80, but just to much slip... I'm going to do some work to it... It is going to be a while we have rain, snow, and cold temps coming in tomorrow. It was idling at 1100, and was moving 6.4 mph..lmao...

Roy

Lotus 50

I'm a lot slower, but I often get the tail of the boat going sideways when I run bigger pitch props. You mean they don't all do that?

suicidealli

Instead of the bow lifting, the motor was trimming up out of the water. If you will, Loosing it's bite.
I have ran a lot of big pitch props, I ain't scared... The bow was really flat.... This prop would work on a high mph stv. Going to change that... There is just a touch of cup too. Everything about this props is to free it up... Im going to make it bite some...... I would be happy with 10% slip with thus much pitch.... If I can get it to bite, should run pretty good.....

Roy

2003225X

I am very familiar with how 30 pitch props run. I would think a 34 could and would get hairy REAL quick if you weren't careful. Not a prop you want to be under hard acceleration with when the setup is not perfect.

suicidealli

I am very familiar with how 30 pitch props run. I would think a 34 could and would get hairy REAL quick if you weren't careful. Not a prop you want to be under hard acceleration with when the setup is not perfect.
Yes you have to get them them set up right. I ran 31p performance props yammi copy. It ran well on my 2002. The bigger props slip more. That is what will get you. I had 1.87 gears, and turned it 8600 @ 114. The slip is what scared me. It drove awesome. This prop may not make it... I'm going to run it some more. It had zero cup, and the rake was all wrong. I changed the rake as much as I could, added cup on the trailing edge, all around through the tip. There is no doubt it is going to be better.. When I ran it, the bow was really flat with no lift, and it ran 90 @ 6000. 18% slip.. Any more trim, and it could have got hairy, and there was to much boat in the water... It is going to run over a 100 for sure.. It is going to be a little while though. It is cold here.....

Oh I tested with full fishing load, didn't change a thing.
Roy

suicidealli

I'm looking for some one to test this prop for me. My boat is in storage, and it is freaking cold. I worked it, added a lot of cup, changed the rake some.. any 3.0L guys, or anyone that can isn't scared to turn a big wheel. Somebody with some experience!!! Don't want to see anyone get hurt... Need to turn 6800 with 1.87 gears at least 101+
I ran 90 @ 6000 with 1.75 gears, and 1/2 the boat was in the water.
I don't think it will work on a xb21, but who knows..
14 3/4 dia.
Any takers??????
Thanks,
Roy

rmills280

i'll try it roy, wish i knew i could of got it when i was up there.

suicidealli

I have a guy closer to me willing to test it... If it falls through I will let you know.
Thanks for the offer.. If it runs good a couple of you could try it.. I think it is close.

Roy