Reynolds Racing side pin pistons?????

GotMyAlly

Why don't the 3L motors have this problem? Never hear of these problems with the big blocks. Is it because of the lower RPMs?

JaySmithRacing

IMO , 3 liters may have lower piston crown temps, thier pistons very HEAVY and have not only a larger bore BUT I'd bet a crown thats thicker that would work as a heat sink and disapate heat making the top cooler running.....

Or maybe the top ring lan is lower from the combustion than a 2.5 lowering the heat at the pin, lan point, dunno , I'm NOT a 3 liter guy...

I see and rebuild 225 Pro Max motors that are owned by older fishermen types and NEVER turn over 6200 and have piston side pin locator pin failure that in itself points against its only rpm related..

Jay

Last edited:

AMERICAN

Yep those pins couldn't come OUT but I've seen a ton of them move IN just enough to allow the ring end gap area to spin by the pin and eventually find the exhaust port...

Like Ripley's believe it or not...

NO steel sleeved engine was EVER top pinned from the factory.

For those with 280's the first 280 to have top pinned pistons from the factory was 2001 and Serial number OT 430855 any and every SN past that WAS top pinned ...

Jay
Hi Jay
As always your a wealth of information and your always there to help out.....Thank you for sharing this with us...Mike

Last edited:

hullbilly

Why don't the 3L motors have this problem? Never hear of these problems with the big blocks. Is it because of the lower RPMs?
I wouldn't think rpm's are the deal. The DSRA prostock motors (stock 200 fishing motors) turn 9000 to 9500 on side pinned vertex pistons and live forever. I've got a buddy with, I think something like 500 passes, logged by an AIM dash, without a failure.

JaySmithRacing

Your welcome Mike...

I do my best to help those that are willing to listen and learn, I've conceeded that there are those that can't be helped thats human nature..

I've been doing this a long time although I learn everyday I am more than willing to pass on my success as well as warn folks off of my past failures....

Thanks,
Jay

RBT

I have seen them both fail.
JFY, Renyolds, Dave Bush and the Late Jon Wright all run side pin pistons.
I run OEM merc pistons as they are the only ones I have had any luck with... and sometimes feel like merc went to top pinning cus they are cheaper to mfg.
Was told once that way back when merc was dealing with ART to make there pistons that they chose the lowest grade they would make for them, the price difference was someting like 5 bucks a piston for the highest grade.

JaySmithRacing

Not that it matters BUT,

Rodney Nance, Jon Wrights crew chief just told me 10 minutes ago that the last 4 years Jon ran Wizards top pinned pistons in his Mercury Unlimited engines and told Rodney if he would have had Wizards Top Pinners years ago it would have save him a many an hour standing at a mill....

Dunno what the others run...

Jay

RBT

Ya that makes sense.
I am now running Merc ONLY. Both DBR and Jon posted about the side pins and not having any trouble with them, Jon did state that it was the engine builders fault if they came out. That he spent time on the rings to soften the edges. I am sure there was more to it. I will see if I can find the thread.
That being said, I/we can be certain that Merc didn't take any extra time building motors, they just needed to make it past the one year warranty... if they had a warranty...
I still stand by that top pining USED forged pistons is a waste of time, cast pistons I would leave as they are (only the vetex) as used pistons that have enough time on them to have loose pins have no business being in a motor as I have never seen a set measure ok. The bottom line is they all fail.

JaySmithRacing

Rob, guess its like the ole Ford and Chevy debate folks can believe and run what they please...Its their motor and their money...

As for me and my customers we going top pinners...
Jay

Last edited:

JaySmithRacing

My buddy has one of the few MEGA CAB's 1 ton diesel Dodges around with a FULL WRAP and loves it !!!

He always has someone trying to buy it, I'm not a Dodge fan but it must be rare or not made any more !

Jay

280ALLY

2 different metals that heat up at different rates...

piston heats up faster than the pins,creating a loose
hole for the pin to come out