Reynolds Racing side pin pistons?????

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
With the thread about Glen going on it reminded me I had not been to his web site in a while. So, I went over there and I saw something I find a bit odd. Everybody raves about top pinned pistons and how much better they are then side pinned. Not them. They have had problems with the top pinned and now are making or modding there own side pinned pistons. What gives?

http://reynoldsracingmarine.com/1piston.htm

hullbilly

It is my experience that when it comes down to actual numbers of known side-pin failures, they are much fewer than some would lead you to believe. Let's put it this way, I spoke with the late Jon Wright concerning nitrous setups, and to my surprise, for the most part, he ran a alot of fishing motor based parts with side pin pistons.

SLOmofo

I have one side pinned piston that cost my wife and I a WON Bass champion ship. Pin came out half way, bent over and stuck the piston in the bore.
I have a couple of converted to top pin pistons that on one the pin came out and destroyed the engine. In that same engine there is a pin pushing up the welded aera up about 1/8". Got pics of both somewhere.
The only pins that shouldnt come out are the type that have a pocket below the rings where the pin is pressed in and then punched into the pocket, thus bending it. Unless it snaps off it isn't comming out.
If I've had one I've had 50 come out. Some just score the sleeve, some catch a port.

ROBERT CROSS

SLO,

If you can find them, I'd like to see those pic's. Heard a lot of discussion about this subject but being a relative newbie on V/6 Merc power I'm a little cornfused. Top= top ring? Side=?

225x PM=reliability? in this regard. Not a racer, but like most here, faster is better.

"The only pins that shouldnt come out are the type that have a pocket below the rings where the pin is pressed in and then punched into the pocket, thus bending it. Unless it snaps off it isn't comming out."

Was told by a local shop that that is how our 04 225x is put together...True?

Thanks....Bob

suicidealli

weisco makes a piston that glen designed for him. i got to look at one a while back. more so the lighten part, and where they are cut is different. i think they start with a stock weisco piston. if i remember right... yes they are side pined.

roy

SLOmofo

The first pic is top pinned. The original side pins are EDM'd out then the piston is drilled from the top and the new pin is pressed? in. Then the hole is welded over. This one was one of the last set I bought. There were problems with the first set where the weld on the crankcase side wasn't good enough and leaked. Also when the pin is pressed into the piston the side of the piston buldges out slightly. I found that when I popped the heads after running it for a while. Each bore had a score right where the pin was. After that I took a file to each piston right where the pin was, just removed a few thou.
The second pic is a side pinned piston that the pin came out and stuck the piston in the bore. It happened as I was comming off plane so the engine just stopped dead! 4 hour tow back to the trailer. We had fish located that would have easily won the WON Bass fish off but couldn't get to them.

In a topped pinned piston the ring gaps are lined up. In a side pinned piston the 2 pins are in different locations like at 10:00 and 2:00.

Attachments

suicidealli

i also dont think glens have a coating on the piston, except for the top. i have seen to many side pined pistons have problems. i have had "0" problems with wizard top pined piston, as far as pins. i have seen one piston that got a little hot, and the the piston kinda pinched the ring a little. mercury top pined pistons are a good piston too, but hit the wallet a little harder.JMO

roy

h2oskiier30

Agree Roy. The Wizards are easier than the Mercs on the pocketbook not only buying the pistons themselves, but also in re-ringing, too. Merc TiN rings are stupid high. I got a deal on a set of Merc rings two months ago at $410 for the set, but right after I ordered them, they went up to $455/set. Still not a bad price compared to what others are getting for them.

Wizard rings are $270/set.

I have heard rumors that Dean is going to start making Merc rings...would be nice if he did.

JaySmithRacing

If one "thinks" that there has been more or any where close to the same failure numbers on top pinned pistons verses side pinned ones ain't in the business nor do they build them for a living or are in denial as Mercury and Weisco were for years....

I've witnessed HUNDREDS of great engines destroyed by that .10c side locater pin becoming dislodged, as anyone that raced/built 2.5's for over 2 years can/will attest to..

Even Mercury pulled thier head from thier rectum and started top pinning , they ( Mercury) have always been slow on the draw...

I repair side pinned piston engine failuires WEEKLY, its been many a moon since I've SEEN with my own eyes a FACTORY installed top pin piston failure.......

But its a free country run and believe what you will, I'll choose the top pnners in the engines I build ....

My .02
Jay

Last edited:

ziemer

Your first pic...those looked like side-pin rings???

The first pic is top pinned. The original side pins are EDM'd out then the piston is drilled from the top and the new pin is pressed? in. Then the hole is welded over. This one was one of the last set I bought. There were problems with the first set where the weld on the crankcase side wasn't good enough and leaked. Also when the pin is pressed into the piston the side of the piston buldges out slightly. I found that when I popped the heads after running it for a while. Each bore had a score right where the pin was. After that I took a file to each piston right where the pin was, just removed a few thou.
The second pic is a side pinned piston that the pin came out and stuck the piston in the bore. It happened as I was comming off plane so the engine just stopped dead! 4 hour tow back to the trailer. We had fish located that would have easily won the WON Bass fish off but couldn't get to them.

In a topped pinned piston the ring gaps are lined up. In a side pinned piston the 2 pins are in different locations like at 10:00 and 2:00.

whipper

Anyone answer Roberts Q weather or not the 04 225X is top or side pined from the factory?

I have side pinned still only because thats the way it was when I bought it. Ill for sure be going top pined after a hop up when I get it rebuilt.:big grin

Last edited:

hullbilly

If one "thinks" that there has been more or any where close to the same failure numbers on top pinned pistons verses side pinned ones ain't in the business nor do they build them for a living or are in denial as Mercury and Weisco were for years....

Copied from Glenn's website:

Side pinned

Offset side pins on 2 ring pistons (we have had many problems with top pinned pistons)

Jay, just for clarification, are you saying that Glenn doesn't know what he's talking about on this subject? I wonder what his motivation would be for going through the trouble of offering these pistions?

JaySmithRacing

Hullbully,

I'm in the motor building business ONLY, I don't sell or work on any other marine articles or parts, when I'm contracted to build a motor (2-3 a WEEK ) I use parts and vendors I KNOW from MY experiance will satisfied my customers needs AND live to a long trouble free run life, eliminating come backs. Other people's motor programs will certainly differ from mine thats the reason there are many that successfully perform this service.

In closing I have had huge success running top pinned pistons and a brisk business repairing side pin failures thats why I will continue to use top pinned pistons. Mercury also must have felt they were better also,as the last 4+ years 280 were produced they were also top pinned.. But you and others are certainaly welcome to do as you choose...

Hopefully I've satifies your quest for knowledge, cleared up why I choose what I do, and clarified some confusion on this subject matter.

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited:

M.ALEXIE

I would have made it like the old bottom guided 2.5 pistons. Side pin using the
top pin rings. Pins cant come out. That's the ticket.

JaySmithRacing

Yep those pins couldn't come OUT but I've seen a ton of them move IN just enough to allow the ring end gap area to spin by the pin and eventually find the exhaust port...

Like Ripley's believe it or not...

NO steel sleeved engine was EVER top pinned from the factory.

For those with 280's the first 280 to have top pinned pistons from the factory was 2001 and Serial number OT 430855 any and every SN past that WAS top pinned ...

Jay

Last edited: