Rebuild or not??

I/O to O/B

I've got a 1996 225 promax on my 97 xb03. I've run it for a year, and it has run seemingly flawlessly. Problem is, despite constant changes in props, motor height, trim, etc., I can't get the rig to run above 80 mph. Pad seems fine as well. I don't think the powerhead has ever been rebuilt or refreshed, but I'm not sure. Question is, should I consider a rebuild? I would like more power, regardless of the reason for my poor top-end. On the other hand, I am concerned about frigging with something that may not be broke. If I rebuild, what reliable mods are best, if any?? Thanks guys.

GotMyAlly

I'd start with a compression and leak down test.......that will give you an idea if the motor is down on power or not.

RedAllison

Assumin the motor is makin anything over 150hp and you're getting full throttle advancement it sounds to me like your motor is over 1" below the pad!!! A 225 powered XB03 will handle like a bucking bronco and won't run over low/mid 80s with the gearcase buried.

Jacker up and letter eat, :beer:
RA

ps
Durability wise, when rebuilding a 225PM I'd for sure ditch the oil injection, install steel cage bearings, top pin pistons and if you really wanted to assure the best then a lightweight flywheel setup (like Simon alternator, or cutdown customized 40A etc...) is really da shiznit and makes em bulletproof below 7500Rs.

Last edited:

I/O to O/B

Thanks guys. The drive isn't buried; she runs real smooth and gets right up on the pad - its just the speed isn't there. I'll do a search for this link and sync. I did change the throttle cable when I bought the boat cause it was seized. I frigged around with the throttle at the motor and the various hot-foot screws, thinking I'm getting full throttle. Maybe not... Is the link and sync something the marina would have experience with, even though they do little in terms of performance engine work??

xb03fs

Definatly make sure the trottle is opening up all the way, my hotfoot was way out of adjustment overnight I went from low 70s to low 80s cheapest 10 mph I ever got....

I think I am going to get me injectors check at Brucato just to be sure they are working over 6K I think I still should be 2 or 3 mph and I doubt when rebuilt they were flowed past the recommended 6K and I like to run up to 6700