reasons to keep rally centered on plant

ally2dextreme

since we have got way out of control on the other threads ...i would like to see opinions on why poeple would like to see the rally stay at or around the plant...as a group we should be able to speak our mind without all the bs...no slaming ..no talking about the past....just take a few minites and post why you would like to have the rally at the original venue....thanks and please lets be adults and irion this out...

lightening rod

Thomas, No offense and I definitely think it is a topic that needs to be discussed and should be, but after the last few days, I think there should be no discussion about a rally til at least Sept 1. Let everything simmer down and then let the admins open a rally 09 forum and discuss away. Just my .02 but trying to talk about stuff right now with everyone so heated up is getting no-where fast other than hurting peoples feelings and getting several peoples dander up.

Again I agree, we should be able to discuss and plan without making personal slams or getting mad, but it may take a few days

GotMyAlly

I've stayed out of this thus far, but here's my un-biased opinion.

Pros of having the rally near the plant:
-obviously the factory tour is great for first-timers and potential customers (at the same time, I honestly could care less about the factory tour after doing it several times and would rather spend my time on the water)
-gift shop to buy t-shirts/hats is a perk
-I think east TN is much more scenic
-bars/restaraunts on the lake seem to be more frequent in east TN (the west TN location has a few but more spread out)
-APPLE PIE!

Cons:
-Better running water where we were at this year
-Sandy beachs to park on instead of floating around all day
-variety.....I don't wanna take a vacation to the same place year after year (I know some don't like change but try it before you knock it)
-Accomodations.....I thought the hotel we used this year had a better layout than east TN hotels i've stayed at in past years. The quad out back was perfect for cooking out and lounging in the evenings and the management gave us the run of the place for the most part.
-Convenience....there was a kroger 2 doors down from the hotel this year, and a walmart right down the road.

With that said, once we have a poll I'm going wherever the majority vote to have the rally.

I agree with what some said before....the rally is about the owners. This is the "Allison Owners Rally", not the "Allison Factory Rally". I've been to the factory several times thru past rallies and running up there to have work done, etc. I don't think the factory tour makes or breaks the rally.

I honestly thought this last rally @ Clifton was the most fun rally I've attended yet. Now....maybe that was due to the organizers doing a fantastic job with the arrangements and accomodations, maybe it was due to a great location. Either way, I haven't heard complaints from anybody that attended. The only complaints I heard came from those that did not attend and it's pretty hard to judge an event if you werent there.

Another point I want to touch on....there's been several comments made about the Allisons 'taking time off work' to attend the rally. For them, it shouldn't be about taking time off work. It should be about promoting their product. I like the heck out of both Nancy and Darris, a couple of the finest people I've ever done business with. If I didn't, I wouldn't own an Allison. But they are only a small piece of the rally. Even at the east TN rallies, I usually only see the Allisons on the factory tour day. I was really suprised to see them on the water one after noon in 07. But outside those few hours we spend with those two, the other 95% of the rally is about the owners hanging out on the water, cooking out in the parking lot, and wrenching on broke stuff out behind the hotel.

pickwickangler

I think keeping it close to the factory is a good idea. I spent some time trying to find a rally site that was close to the factory that could accomodate us, as did RA. If we could find a hotel thats pretty close, could accomodate us and is kewl with it then thats kewl with me. I would also like to see some descent running water and a place we could beach our boats. Floatin around in a boat in hunerd degree weather aint near as enjoyable as walkin the beach or sittin in the shade. I will go where ever the majority goes regardless and I promise you I will have a great time. For the local guys that want it back close to the factory, go out and find a hotel and some good water and post some pics up!!! Folks sayin we need a poll, how we gonna vote on anything if we dont even know what lake or accomodations? I meen my post well so dont take anything the wrong way!!!

Too da family :beer::beer::beer:

Darth VMAX

I have never posted on this topic either. I have not even attended a FULL rally (I was at the 50th for one day). I think you should ALTERNATE locations every-other year and keep the Plant location. EXAMPLE:

2008 New Location
2009 E. TN around the Plant
2010 New location
2011 E. TN around the Plant
etc.
etc.
etc.

I personally love E. TN and like seeing the plant, but it is a 1000 mile drive. A new venue sounds like it was as successful too. I would LOVE to see one on Table Rock, Beaver or Ouachita some year...

ALLISONMAN

i dont care where as long as there is a vote and it is no behind the back bs!!! i am all up for havasu 09!!!!!!!!

and just to clear up a lot of confusion i do not live in east tennessee i live 4.5 hours east in greensboro nc so its all a western drive for me!!!

RedAllison

I obviously don't care which side of TN we have it on either, I'm 5 hours from Knoxvegas and a spot over an hour from Savannah (and there's TONS of lakes in between those areas as well). BUT part of what has made the rallies so successful (besides all the dedicated, hard working organizers and workers) is the fact that for the most part TN is nearly perfectly centered for the majority of the Allison owners and board members east of the Continental Divide. (Sorry for you guys west of the Rockies but you aint near anything but yourselves! :laughing)

Anything over about a 12-14 hour drive while towing a boat and hauling family is asking ALOT of folks, especially when you factor in off-time and fuel prices. The guys from central/southern FL and central/west TX drive about as far as the folks from MN, PA etc... I'm just afraid if we put it in say OK (which has GREAT lakes and is nearly center of the U.S.) you will have turned it into a 2 day drive for everyone on the eastern seaboard. Rally attendance WOULD fall and you can bet someone would then be turning around and planning another "eastern rally" as a result.

BUT as promised, we ARE going to have a poll and I'll "sticky" this thread as the groundwork and idea swapping place that leads up too that poll.

THIS kind of thread is how it's supposed to be guys and I thank everyone for keeping it civil and constructive!!! :at the bar
RA

KEILA

I want to be where everyone else is!!! I go to the rallies to see everyone that I only get to see for a week out of the year. I enjoyed the rallies in East TN, but I enjoyed this last one as well. Yeah....ok, there was a sand beach that fit all the boats and ppl could mingle on the beach instead of floating in groups on the water, and whomever chose...could run their boats. BUT, it was being with everyone that MADE IT for me. I don't mean to disrespect Nancy or Darrius, but I (personally) don't go to the rallies to see them. As far as the factory, I don't drive a boat so it truthfully doesn't effect me.

SO, I say what the majority wants.....I will be there.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I went to visit Darris and Nancy after the rallies ended. They did not voice any upset about the rally being held in a different place this year and in fact said they would have liked to have been there but could not owing to business and personal matters.

I'm not going to argue for one way to be set in stone over the other. I think it is a good idea to have an alternating plan as has been fielded by Darth.

Clifton was beautiful and the water was some of the fastest I've ever had the pleasure to run on. The Eastern TN lakes are awesome too!

I appreciate the civility of this "new" discussion and I urge all of you to keep it that way. Eventually, polls will come up and there will be full transparency of how the decision processes operate.

I'm with A-Man, I wouldn't mind if it were Havasu the only thing that truly matters is that we are all together and that the process is fair.

biller31

I know my opinion don't count but,... I just can't get away for long trips anymore. I wanted to this year but couldn't. I ended up spending the weekend on Watts Bar. Which is close to home and convenient for me. I had a great time on the little bit of beach we have at Sand Island, eating at The Landing, and talking with the people who were there. I would certainly have liked to have met more people and put faces with names of people on here I like talking to but, with a new family and the high prices of things I just couldn't go far. That is just my personal and self-centered reason for not making the long trip and taking the short trip. I know we can't make everything convenient for everybody. And because of that, not everyone will attend that want to be there or that we want to be there but I'm sure the end result is always gonna be the same no matter what we do or where we go...Good Allison people show up and have fun doing what they love. You know how I would vote just for my own selfish reasons but thats all that influences my decision. If I could (win the lottery or something) I'd just spend all my time on the water with friends and family no matter where it was. We all love each other deep down and have fun when we're all in the same place. Now you know thats true cause we're all here together right now. We do what we do cause its in our own best interest and thats it... Not everybody has the same things that are in their best interest. It does not mean that everybody doesn't love everybody or want to be together. If that was the case we'd all be on the water together right now instead of on a computer miles away from each other and the water that we love.

Last edited:

ally2dextreme

I know my opinion don't count but,... I just can't get away for long trips anymore. I wanted to this year but couldn't. I ended up spending the weekend on Watts Bar. Which is close to home and convenient for me. I had a great time on the little bit of beach we have at Sand Island, eating at The Landing, and talking with the people who were there. I would certainly have liked to have met more people and put faces with names of people on here I like talking to but, with a new family and the high prices of things I just couldn't go far. That is just my personal and self-centered reason for not making the long trip and taking the short trip. I know we can't make everything convenient for everybody. And because of that, not everyone will attend that want to be there or that we want to be there but I'm sure the end result is always gonna be the same no matter what we do or where we go...Good Allison people show up and have fun doing what they love. You know how I would vote just for my own selfish reasons but thats all that influences my decision. If I could (win the lottery or something) I'd just spend all my time on the water with friends and family no matter where it was. We all love each other deep down and have fun when we're all in the same place. Now you know thats true cause we're all here together right now. We do what we do cause its in our own best interest and thats it... Not everybody has the same things that are in their best interest. It does not mean that everybody doesn't love everybody or want to be together. If that was the case we'd all be on the water together right now instead of on a computer miles away from each other and the water that we love.
EVERYONES OPION COUNTS THAT PERTICIPATES IN THE RALLYS... thanks for your imput

22R

I haven't been to a rally yet, but I like the alternating schedule too. Seems it would be the best of both worlds.

22R

john4utvols

Alternating schedule I would love to see all the lakes, and rivers around the US. Maybe once every 3 yrs we can make it near the factory. Plus new people will get to see how great the family really is.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Pro's
1. East Tenn. would be closer for me.
2. I have never been to the factory.
3. I have never met Darris or his wife.
4. Seems like it traditionally held close to the factory in east Tenn.
5. Everybody love tradtion.
Cons.
1. Its father drive for me in west Tenn.
2. Would'nt get to go to the factory.
3. Would'nt get to meet the Allison's.

I will be at next years no matter where it's held. It will be my first. Looking forward to running different props and all the other cool things that go on at the rally's.

Fishforcash

Never attended a Allison Rally so I cant comment on where to have it other than as a new owner I would love to see where and how they are built.

I just hope this bickering can end. As I stated I am a new owner and I have been embarassed to be an owner. I dont want to be tied to a brand that the owners cannot get along on their own message board. I can honestly say I love my boat but I have had several thoughts about selling because of the fighting. Its sad when you love a boat but your embarassed to wear the tee shirt.:sad

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
You mean a message board about allison boats made you mad and you actually are thinking of selling you boat cause of what some people you dont know think about each other? I aint sure whats crazier the fighting or you thinking of selling your boat....lol

bullwhipjkg

didnt want to get in this but as only owning my ally for the 2nd summer me and my wife have been talking bout coming since last year but work has been in the way both years but we would like to see the factory but it could be just as enjoyable just to be somewhere where there is more than just a couple alyys on the bank like here at home

my wife wants to start racin my 2002 like i do now and wants me in a drag so who knows when we come we may be in 2 boats

later justin

RedAllison

Well Ricky there's one thing you CAN'T say about most of the A-owners, rather than talk crap elsewhere we bring it FRONT AND CENTER with a 12 MAN BATTLE ROYALE CHAIR MATCH!!! :punch :laughing And then after the dust settles we all make up and are partyin again the nextyear wherever the rallies take us!!! :at the bar TRULY why this place is like family, bwaaahahahaha.

My dad always told me you NEVER get what you don't ask for, ('course he was talkin about wemunz but he said it applies to most anything else in life as well)
RA