Rapid Jack

xb03fs

Would I regret ditching my hydro jackplate and getting a rapid jack. They only adjust in 1/4" increments which is two or 3 adjustments when going for all out top end.

Are 1/4" movements too dangerous? How hard or easy is it to adjust them, I know they are supposed to be the easiest, but is it loosen all for side, and make it click. Or is it fully supported and just turn the center screw?

SLOmofo

There is a pawl that holds per 1/4" or so. Doesn't mean you can't stop and tighten the plate in between those 1/4" clicks.
Loosen the 4 bolts, crank on the big nut which turns it's shaft that winds up the cables attached at each side. To lower hold the pawl away from the cog and carefully allow the big nut to turn. I always grab the engine and give it a big shake to settle it then tighten. Be sure to check the 4 bolts time to time.

http://www.hydrodynamics-usa.com/rapid-jack.html

K.Kiser

^ Yep, that about cover it.. I also put a touchy dab of anti seize of the side bolt thread, and a little shot of Remoil (teflon wd-40) between the plates, and on the cable shaft at the bushings to help movement... Makes for a much slicker functioning unit..

brotherxb03

On a xb03 I wouldn't. You won't be able to drop the motor down for rough water conditions and also for load. I have a bob's hydralic plate on my boat and no way would I swap it for a rapid jack. Only way is if you were running mty all the time and racing.

Last edited:

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a rapid jack and it works well for me. I just set it and forget it. I wouldn't waste my time or money if I already had a good working hydraulic setup though.

xb03

I'm also thinking about a rapid jack, as my hydaulic plate is leaking, and out dated. How much does a 14" rj weigh??

JOEALLY

I would like to have a Bobs hydro plate, but I did like the rapid jack that I had better than this manual Allison plate that I have now.

SLOmofo

WAG would be 1/4. It only takes about 5 minutes to adjust when it's on the trailer. Get tools, loosen the 4, 3/4" side bolts enough to be able to turn the flat washers under them. Take the big a$$ Crescent wrench and put it on the big nut thingy. Turn it to raise, or allow the pawl to be out of the way to lower. If you like having your fingers keep them away from where the pawl and cog mesh. Grab the cavation plate and give it a shake to settle everything. TIGHTEN the side bolts.

If you don't keep them tight, you'll have to get someone to fix it like this.

The other holes are for the ride plate brackets, I suggest you get one and drill all the holes for the mounting before you bolt it on. Also the top JP to Transom nuts at least on mine have to be threaded on as you put the plate on. A dab of silcone around each stud cant hurt, just a little to seal not glue the plate to the transom.

allimax

Gary, it looks like quite a bit a fabrication going on there. Can you tell us some more about the custom side plates you made up? Did they help you accomplish what you were shooting for? I also see you caged in the bottom rear of the skid planer, was this to hold in some extra floatation? Nice work!

SLOmofo

Gary, it looks like quite a bit a fabrication going on there. Can you tell us some more about the custom side plates you made up? Did they help you accomplish what you were shooting for? I also see you caged in the bottom rear of the skid planer, was this to hold in some extra floatation? Nice work!
Side plates that hold the Allison skid planer?, I made before Allison had them to offer.

Or side plates, that extend back from the transom. I made those to try to lessen the ammount of squat when the trim was so slow. They did seem to help then, now that the trim is fast I'll have to try with and without.

Boxed in, now that the trim cylinder is inside the jack plate theres less floatation there. Before I put any in, the water would come to the rub rail after it was 3'' or 4" below.

A lot of things have changed since the engine has been gone through. One is a IQ 3 logger dash so hopefully I'll be able to see rather than feel improvements.