questions about older xtb's

canvasback

Probationary User
Hi Folks,
I am relatively new to the forum and have been looking for an affordable xb2002 or xb2003 for some time. Have found an older XTB and feel it might work. It is a post 1988 so I assume all composite. Am trying to figure out why the '02's and '03's are more desirable. Any thoughts or suggestions as to why they are not as popular and what I am missing? Given the fuel tank's location and construction , I assume these tanks don't pose a big issue, or am I wrong? Also am trying to determine its value given it is an '89 [ however in great shape, garaged, etc] with upgraded 225 hp power. Any thoughts would be VERY MUCH appreciated before I pull the trigger on this. Thanks again! Crain Houston

22R

From all I have read the XTB may be the best hull Darris built. The main knock is that the front casting deck is too small. It ride great and are very fast. If you like it you can't go wrong with one.

22R

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
The other draw back is the lack of wind protection for the passenger. Other than that they are one of the best boats out there.

smiley88

pacman809

Crain, I've had my XTB for 7 years now. It's an '87 with a '97 200 EFI. Does everything well including family skiing/tubing. Your '88 should be all composite as it is my understanding the '87 was the transition year from wood. We've upgraded to more comfortable seating but other than that, it's as Darris designed it. Not sure I understand your concern about the gas tank, I've never seen any issue posted. Good luck! Pacman