Power Poles and the XB-2003.......

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
For those of you that have thought about power poles on your XB-2003. I called Allison yesterday and asked if they made a bracket and they do not. As far as I know you would have to have one custom made. This is coming from a dependable source that knows what brackets are available from power pole. So, looks to me like if you are interested in putting shallow water anchors on your boat you will have to go with the heavier Talons and there universal bracket.

Kenrick Young

Hi,

This is my first post, but I have a Power Pole Sportsman II on my XB-2003. The shop used a pk-m-2-6-p-blk mount. I only added 1 and it was added to the left (port) side. I sit on the right side. I run a Pro Max 225.

Since adding it, I had to go from a 26 in prop to a 24 in prop to have enough holeshot for a fishing load. Also, I added soccer balls to keep backwash out. They price you pay is that the top end speed is considerably reduced. I can only get it to go around 65 at 5500 rpm. Also, the Power Pole pump lines fail over time (probably every 3 years). So it's just one more thing to maintain. If I were to do it again, I might just go for a Power Pole Micro or just use something like an Ultrex or Ulterra with spot-lock.

Hopes that helps someone out there.

- K

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
How much set back are you running? I am only running 5.5 inches due to going to a 3.0 liter Pro XS. Not sure those same brackets would work for me. You have good pictures of your set up? Thanks

90 5.0

I've been running a power pole for over 5 years with no failures , where is this 3 year line failure timeline coming from? I have several friends that have been running them on their boats for as long or longer with zero failures.

xb03fs

Something else has to be going on, or maybe it's mounted too low and dragging. I cannot imagine losing 25 mph.

I just had a 200 when I had my xb2003 and the only time I was limited to 65 was when the loaded was severely out of balance

You may need to move weight forward and check your left to right...

Kenrick Young

I'll have to measure the set back next time I'm at storage. I can take pictures then. We're having a pretty nasty storm in Nor Cal.

So it is possible that I'm dragging or something is not correct with my set up. I'll have to go to a rally one of these days for the pros on this board to check it out. My 65 mph limit is probably due to (1) a 5500 rev limiter, (2) lower 24 in pitch prop, (3) full fishing load, and (4) the Power Pole dragging. To be fair, I use to only get about 75-80 mph with a 26 in prop and a full fishing load at 5500.

So I got the Power Pole installed in October, 2014 and then in September, 2016, the hydraulic cables failed (less than 2 yrs). They were very brittle. I store the boat outside with a cover. The lines are exposed to direct sunlight. I have since replaced the lines (free under warranty) and added a cord/cable cover to protect the lines from the sun. Hopefully, they will last longer.

I did a lot of research and never saw anyone else post a picture of a Power Pole on an XB2003. So I took the plunge and experimented. Hopefully, my experiences can help the next person. I'll post pictures soon.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Sounds great Kendrick. I would really appreciate the pictures. I also believe you are leaving a lot on the table as far as speed goes. That 225 Pro Max should have a much higher rev limiter. Sounds to me like you might have the wrong ecu on your motor. Should be no reason you couldn't find a nice 26 or 28 that would work fine with your set up.

Kenrick Young

Yah, I just have to send in the ECU to Brucato to reprogram it to get past the 5500 limiter. But on the other hand, it's just going to cause more wear on the engine at higher RPMs. I primarily use it for fishing and saving gas (hence the addition of the Power Pole). If I wanted pure speed, I would have never put on the Power Pole.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I have never heard of a 225 Pro Max with a 5500 RPM limiter. I don't even think the regular fishing motor 2.5 liter has a limiter that low. It should be 6k at the minimum. You will not hurt that pro max turning 6k.

xb03fs

My 200 wifi with stock box turned 6200. With fuel curve from Fred Hoffman turned a 27 hydromotive 7000 @ 90 light. Would run 80 with almost properly balanced loads.

225 promax has stock limiter of 6800. 26 p should run mid 80s light low 80s loaded.

Kenrick Young

Hmm, that's good to know. Maybe I will send it in, if the higher RPMs won't hurt the engine. It was rebuilt by JSRE. There's a custom Brucato ECU on it. They set it to 5500 for the break in period. I never got around to mailing it back to Brucato to re-set it afterwards.

hirk

You shouldnt lose more then 1 or 2 mph max with the pole. Thats all I lost with a 12' talon that caught more air and weighted more.

Kenrick Young

That's interesting. You run a 12' talon on an XB2003 and only lose 2mph? Where are your batteries located? Mine are in the engine and left (port) wing, all the way back (only 2 batteries).

Yah, I do want to make out to WAR 17.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
So total set back from where the power pole bolts to the bracket to the transom or the total distance the engine is from the transom? What set back is that Jack plate? It looks like a 5.5 inch set back. What's the set back of the fixed set back bracket? What I need to know is how many inches is the motor off the transom. Thanks for the effort and the detailed pics.

Kenrick Young

The 12in set back is from the power pole bolts to the transom. Add another 1/3 inches to the set back for the engine to the transom.

The silver jackplate is 5.5 inches. The black jackplate is 6.5 inches.

On a separate note, is there any obvious sign that my set up would be dragging in the water (and decreasing my holeshot and top end speed)?

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Looks like it might be to me. But with a good set up it should'nt hold it up to bad. It also looks like your jack plate is all the way down. What is your prop to pad height difference? The prop shaft should be around a 1/4" below the pad of the boat. Moving the jackplate up will move that bracket up and out of the water a pretty good bit also.

Last edited:

Kenrick Young

I haven't checked the prop to pad height. I'll do that next time. That's a good idea about moving the jackplate up. I'll try that next time on the water.