poppit valve questions

procomp

Well that wasnt it. Overheated again today.
Its not a blockage as the water pressure wont go much over 5 lbs. Its lack of water pressure.
Im about to give up.

chad202

If it's stuck open and flowing too much water your pressure will be low and temp up.

procomp

If it's stuck open and flowing too much water your pressure will be low and temp up.
It's not open as I have tested it with the discharge hose with a T in it going to top of block and directly out. Dry.
Thanks for feedback.

jcoats3

looks like you covered about all. wonder if possible it leaking out around tube going up to head from water pump. never thought about not sure how you could check either. just throwing out an idea.

procomp

looks like you covered about all. wonder if possible it leaking out around tube going up to head from water pump. never thought about not sure how you could check either. just throwing out an idea.
I was thinking about that too. Going to order another complete water pump rebuild kit and change everything. I ran motor with gear case off and hose right on the water the copper tube going into power head and it seem to take it all. Ie un restricted into powerhead

Reel Life

It's not open as I have tested it with the discharge hose with a T in it going to top of block and directly out. Dry.
Thanks for feedback.
I'm pretty sure that hose (off poppet cover) is not going to show any discharge from the poppet. It applies back pressure to the poppet diaphram from the top of the block to prevent the poppet from cycling. Replace the poppet internals, ALL the internals....the poppet controls cooling at speed..not the thermos. They will bind, or springs get stiff all kinds of things affect them...they cause more temp problems than water pumps.

Last edited:

procomp

Turned out to be the wrong waterpump housing. The gearcase came off an offshore mid with the small watertube however the waterpump housing on the regular bass mid is a tad taller. Copper pipe was not bottoming out. Live and learn...............
Really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. Thank you.

njj502

I'm pretty sure that hose (off poppet cover) is not going to show any discharge from the poppet. It applies back pressure to the poppet diaphram from the top of the block to prevent the poppet from cycling. Replace the poppet internals, ALL the internals....the poppet controls cooling at speed..not the thermos. They will bind, or springs get stiff all kinds of things affect them...they cause more temp problems than water pumps.
He's dead on. The tube from the top is just water pressure pushing the poppet open. That hose is ONLY a sense line, there is no flow.