poppit valve questions

procomp

Any negative effects of putting a t-fitting in the hose from the poppit to the top of the block so I can get a pigtail off the side of the motor? That way I can make sure its working while I continue to troubleshoot my overheat issue.

chad202

If I remember right when I had my promax, I routed the poppit straight out the back and the top was blocked off.

hirk

I have a 150pm that goes from the poppet to the fitting on top of the plate and another 2.5 that is plumbed like yours chad straight out as a pisser, I would guess you could do it and still get good flow to the block procomp,you could restrict the flow to the pisser at the T to maximize volume to the block if you were worried about it.

chad202

I may be wrong but thought the hose from the poppit to the top the block was to preheat the water coming into the block which most feel isn't needed.

procomp

How you liking that euro B Rad? I can't believe you have a 200 on it, must be getting old, lol.
Havent been for one ride yet. Motor keeps over heating and I cant figure it out.
Waiting for Dave to sell me a powerhead.

procomp

Anyone know the best way to check coolant passages in block for obstructions????
Starboard side seems to be the side getting hot. Head gasket looked fine.
Overheats as soon as you get on plane. Water pressure at 20mph just prior to overheat is around 10psi.

Motor developed the overheat condition after cooking the water pump (big time, totally melted housing and all) when previous owner was winterizing the boat. Guessing maybe a chunk of impeller went up? Ran fine prior to storage.

ROBERT CROSS

Pro,

You may have seen this photo on another thread....I didn't glue the gasket and it ended up in the starboard stat.

I backflushed one at a time thru the stats with the poppet out.

I can see a small impeller chunk plug'n things up.

Bob

Last edited:

procomp

Took gearcase off and ran a hose right to the water pipe. Block filling up and dumping from the top of both heads so thats good.
Took the sportmaster a part that I borrowed and found this. Is this enough to make it over heat just coming off idle and on to plain at 20mph?

I put all new parts in and used a bit of gasket maker on the new gaskets. Going to let it set up until tomorrow and then run it up on the sportmaster adapter and see if I can get it hot in the driveway.

Thanks

Attachments

whipper

Procomp guaranteed made it over heat! I had just one small piece missing even smaller than Roberts and mine over heated, your looks like crap big time! Its been a while since thats been changed. to tight on the water pump housing I would say does this also. A little birdy told me if you tighten the housing to tight it makes the gasket bulge and more prone to tearing. I think its only supposed to be 10 or 12lbs if I remember correctly. just snug tight.I glued my gaskets this time haven't had a chance to test it yet but i know Ive had mine look like Roberts a couple times. Each time it would run hotter longer. Yours looks so bad my guess ever running faster it would still run hotter theres so much leakage. Idle and just on plain would be real hot if mine looked like yours.

ROBERT CROSS

Bob did yours run hot when that happened?
Yep...the horn started about 3min after planing out. That's what prompted my installing the head temp gauge.

When I sucked up some seaweed the poppet got clogged and the horn sounded right away.

Bob
:rolling eyes

GrandLakeGAR

The service manual says 50in/lbs for the three nuts. That is almost scary tight on that plastic housing but after I started using that torque value I haven't had any more gaskets fail.

chad202

If you had a melt down with old impeller I'd get an air compressor and blow through the water passages as much as you can in case there is still pieces of impeller stuck inside.

90 5.0

The service manual says 50in/lbs for the three nuts. That is almost scary tight on that plastic housing but after I started using that torque value I haven't had any more gaskets fail.
50in/lbs.

Not foot pounds, that's like 4ft/lbs not very tight at all