poll:top speed without a lifejacket

citabriatom

Curious;what is the fasteset you will drive without slipping on the Lifeline(or similar)?The wife and I have set a limit of 65MPH.

whipper

40mph when water skiing only ever. If we arnt water skiing theres no garantee I wont go wot so when the skis are in the boat the jackets are on always.

RedAllison

Welp I'll admit it, I've been standin onda beach wif nuthin butta :beer: in one hand and a pair of shorts on when someone hollers out, "Hey RA take my boat out for a spin and see whatcha think." So I jumped in and firewalled it. :embarassed:punch So far I've been LUCKY. But sooner or later the odds catch up with ALL of us. :shock:

But I like to think I've gotten older, fatter and more safety conscienous over the last few years. I'll usually at least grab my jacket or put one on that's already in the boat. Most of the time such boats will run over 85. Under that and honestly, while I probably SHOULD feel it, I just don't feel at risk in most A-boats when running under 80-85mph. For one thing, I won't drive anyones boat any differently than I will my own. That means NO ROUGH WATER at high speeds. If it's to rough to make a full bore pass for not only safety's sake, but taking it easy on the boat, then I'll just take it back in and tell em, "Some other time."

But realistically we SHOULD have them on whenever the boat is on plane.
RA

froggy

When the big engine fires the lifejacket is on, and it stays on until the big engine is off!

I've seen some knarly stuff happen at 30 mph. Little bolt on the hydraulic steering fails/hit a stump and knock the skeg off/run over an alligator/another boat comes out of the blue and center punches you/etc., etc., etc.

Wear your lifejacket full time under power!

froggy

whipper

When the big engine fires the lifejacket is on, and it stays on until the big engine is off!

I've seen some knarly stuff happen at 30 mph. Little bolt on the hydraulic steering fails/hit a stump and knock the skeg off/run over an alligator/another boat comes out of the blue and center punches you/etc., etc., etc.

Wear your lifejacket full time under power!

froggy
Totaly agree!! The only reason i dont when im pulling skiiers is if i have to jump in an dive to save some one. I used to even were it then ,then I had to dive for a kid and I lost 5sec taking off the jacket! Other than that if theres no rope in the water its on 100% of the time along with anyone else in the boat. If they dont have one they dont come.

suicidealli

i use go wothout a life jacket all the time.... since all the deaths we have had over the last few years.. i wear it when over 80... i have been 105 without one... not anymore...

K.Kiser

Jacket always... Not a lowely BS "zipper ripper", but a Lifeline with a skid collar and leg straps (model 100) when I'm in a fast boat... When I'm fishing in My Dad's 60 mph Ranger that usually goes 35 I still wear a decent fish/ski type vest... I have never, not once in My life heard any hi speed crash survivor say that His race jacket wasn't worth 5 times what was paid for it... If a dead Man could tell tales, then He probabaly say that they're worth 50 times the sticker price...

Jessie

Please,Please, Please wear your life jacket and kill switch any time the big motor is running. This is especially important in the winter, when hypothermia can set in . Most of us are not as good of swimmers as we think we are. Let's all set a good example for our children as well as other boaters. Remember most drowning victims were not wearing their life jackets and drown less than 50 yards from shore.

Last edited:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I wear it most of the time but, I do slip. There are times when I am running around 30 to 40 just tool'in along then, a jet ski would start to pass me and I'll hammer down for a bit. I should be wearing it any time I have the big motor running.

amosXB03

I am also guilty of being STUPID and lucky. Ususally when the motor fires I have a jacket on, espacially if the kids or with me, good example for them. Definately at 50 or more.

I ahve dropped the hammer in the allison and the stv w/o a jacket, although the vee bottom usually reminds me to be safer, with the training wheels I was pretty STUPID,100 + more than a single occasion.

patches

for the life of me i don't understand people not wearing a jacket in a performance boat. the odds of you getting knocked out if tossed from a boat at 90-100 are pretty good. you don't swim very good when your knocked out. a simple hook at high speed that otherwise would result in minor injuries or a small hospital stay can turn into you being dead and your wife and kids losing you. just cause you were too cool or too stupid to put a jacket on.

Fl Boy in ILL

I am certainly guilty of running without my jacket in my pleasure boat, Ally GSE and SS, BUT I don't think that anything over 40 MPH will be run anymore without a jacket and probably should be if the 2.5 is running. I never sit my *** in the seat without the kill switch hooked up. 2 pretty nasty wrecks I've been in, Q-shot blowover and a V-bottom stream the de-laminated at close to 100, I am still here to tell the story because of my safety equipment, blowover was in a sanctioned event with rescue and the Stream was testing in the river and riding. Trust me it WORKS if you WEAR IT!!!!!!!!

Rick

Djs91xtb

I'll put the jacket on above 50, but I usually do forget about the kill switch unless Im planning on making a good pass. I probably should put the switch on when the jacket goes on. You never know when those brand new Tritons with the 250s wants to get smoked by a 20yr old boat and motor.

RedAllison

IDLE:help
lol, AND HOW!!! :very happy

Believe me, after my "high speed dismount" I'm GLAD I buckled her up. With such a blow to the head, a concussion and 68 degree water I for sure would NOT be here today had I not had my jacket on. :cuss

I still wont have them on when pluggin along in the deckboat at a brisk 25-30mph but you can bet your *** I'll have it on ALWAYS in my bassboat if she's on pad!!! :wink

"LIVIN PROOF!!!"
RA

RedAllison

Welp I'll admit it, I've been standin onda beach wif nuthin butta in one hand and a pair of shorts on when someone hollers out, "Hey RA take my boat out for a spin and see whatcha think." So I jumped in and firewalled it. So far I've been LUCKY. But sooner or later the odds catch up with ALL of us.

But I like to think I've gotten older, fatter and more safety conscienous over the last few years. I'll usually at least grab my jacket or put one on that's already in the boat. Most of the time such boats will run over 85. Under that and honestly, while I probably SHOULD feel it, I just don't feel at risk in most A-boats when running under 80-85mph. For one thing, I won't drive anyones boat any differently than I will my own. That means NO ROUGH WATER at high speeds. If it's to rough to make a full bore pass for not only safety's sake, but taking it easy on the boat, then I'll just take it back in and tell em, "Some other time."

But realistically we SHOULD have them on whenever the boat is on plane.
RA
WOW, see there!!! "Famous last words" oh the difference 3 weeks can make huh? :cuss YEP see there I went against my own words about runnin in rough water and we see what happened. BUT thank the Lord I DID have the jacket on.

LIVE AND LEARN, :relax:
RA

flatout

I personally lost a good friend to hypothermia. We have a tournament on Lake Nippissing in the fall in his honour called the Mike Seaburn Memorial Tournament. He was test driving a Triton that got into a wicked chinewalk and ejected him and two others. The other two guys had mustang floater suits. He had no life jacket on and didnt make the 300 yard swim to shore. The other two did. The water was around 45 degrees. I now wear my floater suit anytime the water is below 60 degrees and I have my tether permanently attached to it. I also have a tether permanently attached to my other life jacket. It probably wouldnt save me at 90 mph though.
Howard...