Piston's!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Scary

Unless you're racing a stock class, I can't understand why anybody would want to spend the money on Mercury pistons. The Wizard pistons are awesome and I know Nick Winski has put quite a few in various motors with great success. None have come apart. They're very consistent out of the box, but like always, match up your rods, pistons, and wrist pins to get the most balance unless you're cutting them.

The Wizard piston is made by Weisco too so it's the same as mercury with sufficiently different design features to not upset Mercury (although I'm sure it's upsetting them anyway). The way the Wizard piston is cut will help it run cooler and distort less due to heat. Great piston.

Mr. Scary

No, I wish. A few of my buddies and I have a band and we're playing that Friday night. It's a big show otherwise I would have tried to move the date. I'm going to be in a state of depression about it.

stoker

Just My $.02
Merc wisecos have a different taper and skirt and the TIN rings are superior to chrome on a NIC bore
I am bitter about the cost,but IMO they are the only way to on 10k rpms with Nic/nikasil bore for better ring seal and longevity (if there is such a thing with these drag motors)

Casey G

I'm needing to buy a couple of set's of pistons in the very near future and am curious if the Wizard's are still the way to go. both set's will be going in 11k RPM Drag Motor's. It sure would be nice to save a grand!

JaySmithRacing

Casey ,

Call for the best pricing on Wizards... I have sold over 150 sets with very few failure and or issues ( less than 1 % and most of that was self inflicted wounds .. LOL)

Jay @ JSRE ( 1 281 576 5088 cst )

Casey G

Thanks Jay!

I ended up with a set of already lightened 2 ring Mercury's with only 4 passes on them yesterday that I'm going to use in my 05 Drag, but I'll give you a call and stop by one day in the next few weeks to pick up a set of Wizards. I've been wanting to try them out for a while now. They will be going in my back-up drag motor, that I also use as a river and rally motor. They will be put to the test for sure, since it sees crazy rpm and lots of "special" fuel.

Casey G

I just wanted to give ya'll an update on the Wizards I got from Jay. The first set went in a 99 Drag that I ended up racing the first two races of the year. After 2 races and 3 or 4 trips to the river they still look great. The second set went in my 05 Drag and after breaking it in last Sunday will be raced at our Wetumpka, AL DSRA race in a couple of weeks. Both sets have dual chrome rings. I just don't see a better deal out there!

sidvishus

So "Wizards" appear to be the prevailing choice? I have a somewhat similar situation to NoviceDave and others. I have a 2002Comp with a "stock" 92 2.5/260Offshore (and It is 100% stock) that I need to rebuild. I use it to fish and play. I normally run between 4K and 6K rpm with the occasional burst to 9K rpm for a fun run/race. I don't hold top end for more than 20-30sec (I frequent small lakes or the river, and I run out of space or have traffic to contend with...).

What does a set of Wizards/rings run?

AND the million dollar question, since I am rebuilding, what can I expect "if" I were to have the block ported to S3000/Drag specs? How will the motor respond compared to a stock 2.5/260 port? Will it still be a good all-around motor? The 260 has done everything I have wanted, BUT (I have always "wanted" a Drag/S3000 for TOPEND running...)

thx.sid

Casey G

I can't remember exactly what I paid, but I'm pretty sure it was somewhere around $1200 and that's for everything. If I went with Mercury pistons it would have cost me close to $1400 for the pistons and a couple of more to have them lightened.

Here's my answer to your motor question. I personally would not touch the block expect for maybe having Jay or somebody machine the exhaust chest out. I would definitely have the rods and wrist pins lightened and balanced. A good running stock 260 will easily turn 9500 and 10,000 if the boat is set up correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.