pin stripe redo

mignumspeed

anybody got any suggestions on repinning my 2002 not sure where to start

FlatOutAlly

Well.....Taking it off is easy. Use a heat gun or even a heavy duty hairdryer if the wife isn't looking. Heat it a bit, pick at the end of it gently with your finger nail to get it started, pull steady and slow at a 45, all the while heating it ahead of where you're removing it.

Putting it back on? Hmmmmmm. Some will say this is a piece of cake and send you to Autozone and tell you do it yourself. You can do this, but unless you've done it before, you'll probably do it at least twice. I say, Call Bill at Allison, get the right stuff, take it to your favorite/best body shop guy, make sure he knows exactly where/how you want it. Offer much beer when job is complete. Pictures of the boat as it is now (AND your beer) will help him. :laughing

Good luck.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I took mine off because they were in bad shape, but now I have these cool 'ghost' pin stripes...very subtle tho...i kinda like it...

whipper

I put some stripes on the GS last fall and accentuated her figure along the wings to the nose. I kinda like it. I want to go wild just haven't thought of anything good yet? Hears basically what I did. Subtle yet effective?

whipper

Hey Whipper. Would you put your wife out in the rain? :cool
Ahhh is this a trick question?:big grin I accually just finishes and it started to sprinkle but I wanted the pic and then I dryed her off and tucked her into the garage were its nice an warm.
And by the way shes wet all the time.:big grin The Grand Sport of course.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is a great pic whipper! The low light and the rain drops just work out great...too bad you're so far north or you could come down to the WAR. I looked up your location on the map and you are waaaaaaaaayyyy up there, lol!

whipper

That is a great pic whipper! The low light and the rain drops just work out great...too bad you're so far north or you could come down to the WAR. I looked up your location on the map and you are waaaaaaaaayyyy up there, lol!
Yep. I still have 4ft of snow in the front yard!! The weather just starded getting above 32f so the snow is starting lower. Notice how i didnt say melt!:big grin I was skiing yesterday. It would be a 30 hour dive at least to get there for me. Thats a lot of mountain roads rocks,sand and miles. I would love to come off course but its just not feasable yet. I was going to fly down last year but never got my stupid passport renewed. Still dont but my wife is working on it now.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, it's about 750 miles for me, and that's bad enough, but this is probably the last year I'll be on the west coast so I gotta go! I was actually running for a while today in my boat with a sleeveless shirt...then I put the jacket back on...very rare tho for here...been mostly 40's and rain, and it's supposed to be coming back...nice thing about salt water...it doesn't freeze around here, lol! I did have my boat on the ice earlier this year tho...makes a good cutter!

Brian

whipper

anybody got any suggestions on repinning my 2002 not sure where to start
Whats the base colors of your 02? Do you have any pics? I think if you go down the lines were the tones meet is about the best way. If ya look at most nice looking boats thats what they did. If you put a pin threw the color like say in the middle it would brake up the main tone to look like two thin tones of the same color. I tried that on my 03 and it made her look like a barber shop strips if ya know what I mean. The biggest thing is to match color coordinate! What I did was look for the boldest match. I looked at some airbrush work and figured what colors looked best with what other colors. For instance. Green and tan look good together. Black and tan or white and red. etc.. Yellow looks good with black and gold and silver. But because black goes with red so I went maroon to stay with the black wing tips but not full fire engine red because of the yellow. When you see a sharp color combo note the colors in the graphics that are the ones you have. Then figure out what other colors or color you would think looks good on your hull thats in the graphic. When I went reddish on top of the silver was because you lost the silver if i put it on top of the red. It blended with the white. But when i went silver then the red it separated it and the silver stood out more. I like the two thin over one fatter one. I think thats the case for most.

Last edited:

mignumspeed

my 02 is white with red wings i intend to go back with the red and black stripes thanks for the help

Last edited:

allisonjr

my xtb has a silver stripe that came on it from allison, i found the exact same stipe in a 3m catalog from our local automotive paint supplier. its held up well and personally i wouldnt use any other kinda stripe other than 3m. Also if you're planning on laying the stripe down yourself make sure and lay it in long sections, bc if you lay it in short sections it will look terrible, lots of humps and bumps lol

pickwickangler

IMHO and it's just personal prefrence I reckon but very very few allys look better with pins than they do without. Kevin from florida's 03 is one of the few that I have seen that looked good with pinstripes. I would flirt with the idea of pullin em off and if it aint to faded to bad then lay the smack down with the buffer and enjoy them sexy lines :big grin

chad202

I did mine several times trying to find the setup I like best. I think my boat looks better with stripes. I have my stripes in places where no other allison as them and use a different stripe that others. Try Decalzone.com. They have all kinds to choose from, that's where I get mine from.