Pics of Hydro/Chopper KnobCut

whipper

I took pics of the new arival today. I thought i would start this new thread with fresh pics and on monday add the results of a water test. Started life as a uncut 30chopper11 Thanks JR! i sent it to Todd for a repitch to a 281/2 and a knob Cut. The pics on the floor are the Chopper11 before and the ones on the grass are after knob cut.

Rusrog

I'm not trying to start anything but the Knob Cut looks a lot like an old Ron Hill CLEAPER. Not saying it is... Just from the pics it looks like that same style of cut.

whipper

Its a material alteration synthisized buy the mechanical interuption of a mideal altering device. There-fore changeing the out come of the original designs characteristics to a more desirable result based on the previous designs falts for the aplication desired..:big grin:same ole song:blah blah blah

Last edited:

ally2dextreme

crazy ?..why would you copy something that is no longer sold as im asuming nobody bought them becase they didnt work?

whipper

Not the case. They work very well from what Ive heard.Whens the last time you ever seen one for sale? They have to make min 500 at a time to justify making them again. When they {sold out} he made a decision to discontinue them as the market for high performance out boards is shrinking. He makes props for Offshore guys in a bigger way. He has a very good following in the bass boat market but more the 4 blades. Theres lots of guys making props to fill the nich already also. Just ask anyone who was at the Allison rally how Todd's GS ran with this prop on. Hes only converted 4 now and all of the people who have them are totally satisfied over the stock chopper11 so i thought i would give it a try also. I cant try it until tomorrow so i guess Ill see for my self. There was nothing wrong with the prop before I sent it. The cut is suposed to give the chopper a much better hole shot and midrange and only sacrifice a few mph on the top pulling hard all the way. For me if it does that Ill be satisfied for sure. The template for this prop was off Todds personal prop witch is a special one indeed judging by the way it performes on his and others Allisons. Personaly I was having trouble with my lakes altitude hampering performance with the original 30 to my likeing anyway. At 2500ft Im loosing quite a bit of power. I also have a brucato ACU that alows me to spin a higher rpm than stock. Ive been enjoying the added rpm with smaller wheels because I like the acceleration more than getting every mph and a half. Im hopeing buy dropping the pitch to a 28 1/2 to be able to gain some more performance in RPM than before and whith the smaller blade area have those RPM pick up a little faster at my altitude. Thats all.

Last edited:

TBuck2003

James,
Glad you got it,and hope it works out good for you,as it did for Andy and others.Let me know results after you run it.Thanks,
TBuck

TBuck2003

Let me clear a few things up about the T-3X Sport.James touched on it briefly and was on the right track.We are a major production company(MFGR.) and when we order props we dont order a few at a time,we either order a bundle,or have them spread out monthly in our production run,either way there is alot of props to be ordered to keep price down.Also every one of our props is heat treated,special ground,and balanced after they are finished.In saying that if the market has gone south for over hub props which it has,it just didnt make sense to have stocked that many wheels in inventory to sit on and pay for,and not be able to move fast enough to offset the inventory cash output.Almost all the people that have tried the original,wanted one and being that we had no more in stock the closest I could come was to replicate the blade template out of the chopper II because it had enough blade area to do so.Is it exactly the same, no but its as close as you can get.As far as the prop not working Thomas that is about the most unintelligent thing an uniinformed wanna be could say.Do you know who is running the prop? do you know results? have you seen it on about 50 applications I dont think so,so until you can back up stupid statements I would just not say anything,it just makes you look more ignorant.I would say that a GSport with 2 2oo # lb guys in the front seat turning 84-8500 in 95 degree heat and a full pleasure load with cooler,running 105mph documents that the prop works just fine for a 26p.Do me another favor and make right on our transaction,or call us back, because your avoiding us like the plague.Do the right thing I know its tough,but your a big boy.

TBuck

Bob Ant

I got one and it is the fastest prop I own. 2003/280. It is at Todd's now getting a big prop shaft hole and cleaned up a little.

Bob A.

whipper

I got one and its the fastest prop I have also!
Just got back from the lake what a nice day out today. The once 30chopper11 up hear the day before i sent it away was getting no more than 6600 rpm at 88 mph. That was a 12% slip factor. I couldn't pull it any better at this lake i use for testing because its so dam high up!! 2500ft above sea level. That was the reason for the Brucato acu to turn smaller props at higher rpm to enjoy things better because of the loss of power altitude makes. The best run out of only 8 or 9 runs on this small lake not even a mile long was 89.7. That was at 7000 rpm. The slip factor was 11%. I'm sure i can bring that down a bit more with seat time with this prop. I started at an inch below and worked my way up with each pass looking for the sweet spot. The higher I went the better the Knob cut liked. With the prop to low it required to much trim and the bow was hunting kinda making small circular motions and to high.When I made a pass at even with the pad I was very neutral trim and picking up speed and rpm steady and found the hull way easier to balance. Actually there was no torque on the wheel at all kinda weird feeling not having to move the wheel. It was in the zone it liked! I made a couple of passes at that level with the same results so called her a day. I have no doubt that this prop at closer to sea level would at some lakes i get to it would be a 92-93mph prop on my setup. I'm sure also tomorrow I will get that .3 also!!!
I'm going to bigger lake were i have the time to tweak the trim a bit more. The hole shot is great for a 28.5 chopper style prop. It doesn't spool up at all compared to the stock chopper. It used to spool to 6000 then bite to 4000 and go. The knob cut only spool for a slip second and grabs and goes much quicker and the acceleration is very liner requiring way less trim for the bow to stay elevated at a neutral stance from the get go. I was only out for an hour and a half. Tomorrow i have all day. I never really farted around with the mid range just idle starts to wot runs back and forth down the middle of the little lake. In conclusion if you have a stock 225 pro max on an Allison and cant pull the 30 chopper11 to 6750 limiter you would be able to with the knob cut leaving the pitch alone. If you have a brucato ACU or a repair unit with a higher limiter 7000+ I would do the knob cut on a 28 chopper11 or re pitched like I did to a 28.5 even a 29 would work if your closer to sea level.

catfish123

I'm a little surprised that a 28.5 pitch at 7000 rpm's is only producing 90 mph. What gear ratio do you have, a 1.87? Please don't take make comments wrong as they are not intended to be that way. I have run a lot of 28 pitch props and all of them ran at least 90 at 6850 rpm's. I'm only 1000 ft above sea level but I'm guessing rpm's are rpm's. I would think the higher elevation would reduce rpm's if everything else were equal. My Chopper II 30 pitch ran 95.9 mph into the limiter at 6850 with a stock Merc 225X. It runs the same exact speed with a Merc 30 ET into the limiter. Maybe with a little more lake, yours will wind up some more, it probably will. Good luck with it. I would love to try one sometime, as I have tried most of the rest...........LOL. My 30 Chopper II did have some work done to it. I was having some problems getting the rpm's where they needed to be before it was worked.

Last edited:

pickwickangler

The knob cut only spool for a slip second and grabs and goes much quicker and the acceleration is very liner requiring way less trim for the bow to stay elevated at a neutral stance from the get go.
Dats why I love mine, I had a few props worked by others a couple of times and I couldn't get the holeshot I was looking for. I hate loadin mine down with full gas and livewells and that thing sit in the hole spoolin up like crazy.

tomoad

I have a A4 stock 26 chopper, I guess todd could cut it to the knob right? I want about 500 more rpms I'm turning it at 7500 at the moment, of course the boat is loaded to fish, & would like to keep it like that way with the troller on.

whipper

I'm a little surprised that a 28.5 pitch at 7000 rpm's is only producing 90 mph. What gear ratio do you have, a 1.87? Please don't take make comments wrong as they are not intended to be that way. I have run a lot of 28 pitch props and all of them ran at least 90 at 6850 rpm's.
I know like i said I think I can bring the slip factor down a bit more yet. When I got home I ran the numbers on the slip calculator and was surprised to see 11%. All the 4 blades I run are 7% at the most. Im sure i can bring that down to 7 or 8 with some more time with it. I think if i ran it a touch lower like 1/8-1/4 below and less trim would be better but ran out of time. I was experimenting trying to find out were the blow out point was while I had the nerve.
Thats most likely why the higher RPM and less speed. The prop realy lifts the stern big time so I had to try higher hights as down lower the hull felt like it was ready for lift off! Your right at 7000 rpm with the same slip factor as your saying I should have been doing 92mph. I think once i get it right ill be more like 6900-6950 and 91mph. That would be right around 7-8% slip. My bobs cone also has been repaired by myself and may be a little out of shape that could cause some extra slip? If i can get it there that is way better on this lake than the 30 chopper11 ever did. Ive ran 93 at 1000ft though with the 30 but not at 1500ft higher. you loose like 5% per 1000ft? I could also tweek the acu a little leaner but Im not realy looking for every mile an hour at this time plus dont want to be to lean.:shock: Tomorrow i think I can get the rest out of her I know were my numbers are at and what I need to do with the setup now. Pretty nice though for a big 3 blade. Quite honestly I dont like 3 blade props compared to my 4 bladers thats for sure! They have there purpose like max top end. Its the acceleration i like the most. Ripping around with my QIV O/T S 26R is pin ya in your seat just plain fun. But for bigger lakes the 28.5 Knob cut will fit the bill for fast cruising. Pics today of the 28 on and the differance in the 26ot to the 28 3blade. Those OT,s are hudge!

Last edited:

catfish123

That is a VERY nice looking prop! Have you ever run any Merc ET props on your boat?