Performance Proppeller

suicidealli

When you say "tighten it up" what does that mean? And I do run the 1.87's.

Its a cool ride, lays the boat over on the left rubrail at takeoff if you are not expecting it.
On my bass boat I run 1.75 gears. On my drag I run 1.87 gears.

Tightening up a prop is to work the prop to run like a bigger prop.
You can add some pitch for a drastic example.
Add some tip cup, makes them a little harder to turn. "less rpms" And usually adds mph.
My favorites, is changing the finish on the prop. Different finishes can loosen a prop up, or can tighten up. Make it grab the water more = Less rpm, and can be more mph.
A rough sanded prop will slip a lot more than a highly polished prop. There is a lot of in between. Also doin one side, one way and the otherside different.. Depending what you want the prop to do..
Polish part of the blade, and sanded finish in certain areas to loosen them..
DAH is good for that. My best top end prop for my 2002 I did it too.

Should give you an idea of tighten, and loosen a prop.
Usually about 200 rpms either way depending what it is when you start Is max for changing the finish.

Adding some tip cup to a yammi drag changes them big time..JMO
I do mine myself, and it is easy to tell the difference.......
I have several 24 and cruising at 4000 rpm's they are 6 mph different from best to worse... I test them at all different rpms, to see what changes effected them to what I did...... It has been a long learning curve..........
At one point I had tennis elbow from banging on so many props...lmao....

Roy

Roy

suicidealli

Its a cool ride, lays the boat over on the left rubrail at takeoff if you are not expecting it.[/QUOTE]

When your racing that lean to the left cost you a lot of time... Getting them to launch straight as possible makes them quicker... The 2002 is hard to get to launch straight.. People ask me all the time about my cavatational plate.. Looks like it is broke off....lmao. It launches pretty straight tho....

Roy

GotMyAlly

My favorites, is changing the finish on the prop. Different finishes can loosen a prop up, or can tighten up. Make it grab the water more = Less rpm, and can be more mph.
A rough sanded prop will slip a lot more than a highly polished prop. There is a lot of in between. Also doin one side, one way and the otherside different.. Depending what you want the prop to do..
Polish part of the blade, and sanded finish in certain areas to loosen them..
DAH is good for that. My best top end prop for my 2002 I did it too.

Should give you an idea of tighten, and loosen a prop.
Usually about 200 rpms either way depending what it is when you start Is max for changing the finish.
So based on that, my fishing props should pick up a few hundred RPM as the shine wears off of 'em? :shock:

Bobalouie

Its a cool ride, lays the boat over on the left rubrail at takeoff if you are not expecting it.
When your racing that lean to the left cost you a lot of time... Getting them to launch straight as possible makes them quicker... The 2002 is hard to get to launch straight.. People ask me all the time about my cavatational plate.. Looks like it is broke off....lmao. It launches pretty straight tho....

Roy[/QUOTE]

If you put the motor straight before you hammer it, then put your hand at 9 oclock on the wheel and turn the wheel to the right so that your hand is now at 12 oclock, then hammer it, it will come out flat. But, turning the gearcase to compensate would slow you down also. I may have to check out your cav plate one of these days. I get so much lift out of my Johnson foil on the gearcase that it finally cracked the last time out thru the welded on support. That should have been pretty difficult to do, Gonna have to get it fixed now, and maybe time for some foil mods?

suicidealli

I agree fast trim is the best way to get them to launch, and launch straight for racing....
I cheat that in my 2002 with a load, with the cavatational plate.. I'm not rigging 24v up for fishing.. The mercruiser pump, and a good plate is good enough for me...