performance propeller

GrandLakeGAR

Hi Mike, things are good here. I have a box full of steel and plastic drive sleeves and I was trying to figure out which ones fit in my props from Hydromotive and Performance. The plastic's have a plug in the fwd end that may or may not have a lip, so they can vary in length too. Very confusing to an old geezer.

badbait

Posted by Flying Butcher,
but still wonder about the loosness of the insert when not tightened down. I have tried 3 different metal inserts and all have the same loosness???

Butcher, I think the prop depends on being pulled down against two machined surfices and that can't be done if the hub extends past the prop. If your hub extends past the end the prop it's going to have some play in it. As far as two lengths of hub for a 1.25 shaft I've not heard of that before. I own 3 hubs bought at different times and there all the same length.

Last edited:

FLYING BUTCHER

the insert doesn't extend past the prop hub now, it was just a little to long but I ground it off all the play comes from the side of the insert against the prop hub itself??? its like the prop hub is 1/8" to big. I have all the rubber inserts on but its still to big (I know i've had that problem all my life)!!! With the insert being a little shorter it will draw the hub on the prop tight against the propshaft?? odd that someother guys have same thing with Tim's props

froggy

Guyz,

If it might help, try to find some sheet Delrin that's a bit thicker than the "shock cushions" (the black adhesive strips provided by Merc). Epoxy the thicker strips on in lieu of the ones provided by Merc. If the new strips are of proper thickness, the Flo-Torque insert will fit tighter.

My $.02

froggy

badbait

Butch, your correct if the prop isn't tightened down it will have some play. All of mine do, but once the two machined surfaces are pulled together with your prop nut there should be no play. If the play that your experiencing before you thghten the prop nut down bothers you take Froggy's advice and epoxy on some thicker strips onto your hub. I wish T Buck would get on here and give us his 2 cents on this subject.

biller31

Billy at Performance Propellers in Soddy Daisy, TN has helped me with all my prop issues, needs, and questions. I'd call them to see what they got in the way of a fix. Knowing them they probably already have something. No sense in re-inventing the wheel.

tomoad

I bought the plastic hub for a tempest( one with the plug). I ran it this week & was still tight when i took it off, Im going to sell the prop if anyone is interested with the hub that works if anyone is intersted. I have over $450 in this prop and will take $300 shipped with hub, im going to try and find a smaller one

TBuck2003

Most of the issues seem to cone from the xr flo torq kit.What I have found is that there is a variance on the hubs,and on the square bore of the props.These two combined can still pass specs but you end up with what your talking about.Simple thing to check would be that the rounded edge of the black strips are at the bottom of the hub,(gearcase side) this can cause that.I had a customer that wanted to crucify me last year cause his triple set of five blades he was trying out 4th of July weekend,did not want to fit tight(hubs) so he did not run the boat.When I got the props back we took every measurement known to man and the props were in spec,so I grabbed about 30 hubs and found three that fit so good you had to pound the last half inch down with a rubber mallet.Word I got from my hub distributor was that they have a new supplier(I get em from a Quicksilver Dist.) so that could be an issue.Solution and it works wrap the S.O.B. with some Duct Tape till you have to pound it in the rest of the way and you are on the water.Once it is tight in there it cant move because of the four flat system.Even if it is loose you might be able to notice it at an idle,but once there is a torque load on that hub it cant go anywhere,obviously this only applies to the metal xr hub kits.Hope this helps.

TBuck

BigRedAlli

Why does anyone need the metal hub? I've used the same plastic hub for over 4 years in several different props and never had a problem...:confused Am I missing something?

GotMyAlly

I may be wrong, but i think all the fat shaft hubs are metal. I've never seen a plastic hub for the fat shaft.....but never really looked for one either.

whipper

BigRED I was told that for small shaft it was better to run the plastic flow tourque because if you hit something in the water the flow tourque hub may break instead of your shaft. I had a metal fixed insert 30 chopper that slung a blade that had no other issues though. I have a few props that are all plastic flowtourque now. All real tight exept the trophy. I run the trophy lots though with no issues. The Performance Drag4 is a malleter! And to get it off i have to use a rubber prybar! The hub in that one I just leave in because its in there good. The metal insert I swap. What you guys torqure your props down to? I go at least 70-80lbs.

oledawg

Sorry to butt in, but I think I know what the problem is. Mercury and QuickSilver make two versions of the solid hub insert kit. One is 3 5/8" long and the other is 3 7/8" long. The first is a -2 P/N and the longer is a -1 P/N. You need the 3 7/8" long version or the -1. Hope that helps.