performance propeller

tomoad

I have a Hp cut performer prop I got about a month ago just know was going to try and run it but i have ran into a problem. It takes the flo-torq hub, BUT!!!! this is were my problem is. I bought a hd hub kit (metal) not the plastic one. and wheni tighten the prop down the prop is still loose. wobbly. I have never seen this before so i put it on about 5 times, trying different thrust washers etc but it will not quit wobbing, kinda hard to describe. these prop do take the mercury flo-torq hub right? I have never seen this before, kinda got buffalo'ed

tx2step

Yes they all fit loose,I use an o-ring inside of mine for a better feel.Once the prop is under load it doesn't know the difference.

varmint2002

Your prop needs to be tight, is your hub set properly? The solid hub is much more durable than the plastic one. A tight fit does matter if you really want better performance... usually the reason you invested your money in the prop. An O Ring isnt the answer or they would ship it with the prop.

I would call them back at performance prop tell them and let them coach you.

Gary

whipper

Try a plastic Flowtourque you may like the fit beter.Also if your prop hits anything your not replaceing your shaft aswell.

Last edited:

james69z28

Probationary User
mine has the metal hub and 4 plastic strips but no play on my fat shaft, is it possible that you have the fat shaft hub on a small shaft lower unit?

On Tap

Somethings not right...

If the prop isn't bolting tight, DON'T USE IT. The speeds these boats run are way to fast to use washers, spacers, or anything else to make things "fit" right. I have the metal hub assembly (with the strips) in my ET, and it bolts as tight as a solid hub prop. Don't gamble with safety in these boats!

Get with the guys at Perf Prop and have them help.

tomoad

i was running the metal hub which had the play, so being curious i bought the plastic one & it is fine now, good & tight

badbait

I had a prop that did the same thing and after looking at it I determined that the hub that I installed (stock Mercury item) came all the way through the end of the barrel and the washers were seating on the hub and not the prop so I machined a washer that had an indent in it and allowed the edge of the washer to mate up against the prop instead of the metal hub. This made it as solid as a rock and cured the problem. The prop maker had made a small mistake when machining the barrel of the prop. That hub is supposed to come just short of the end of the barrel so that the washers are tighting against the prop and not the hub that's in the center.

Last edited:

FLYING BUTCHER

I just e-mailed Tim and Billy regarding the same thing on a new prop I got from them. I ran into same deal as Badbait so I ground a little off the end of the insert so the washers would tighten the prop onto the insert better but still wonder about the loosness of the insert when not tightened down. I have tried 3 different metal inserts and all have the same loosness???

GrandLakeGAR

Mercury makes the small shaft steel drive sleeve in two lengths. 3 5/8" for Tempest, Trophy's and 3 7/8" for Choppers, ET's. The p/n 850821 is the same with even/odd dash numbers for the short/long parts. I ran into this using some after market Flo-Torq props. Don't know how this might work with the fat shaft insert since the barrel depth can vary among different props.

Last edited:

fishnfireman

Mercury makes the small shaft steel drive sleeve in two lengths. 3 5/8" for Tempest, Trophy's and 3 7/8" for Choppers, ET's. The p/n 85082 is the same with even/odd dash numbers for the short/long parts. I ran into this using some after market Flo-Torq props. Don't know how this might work with the fat shaft insert since the barrel depth can vary among different props.
Hey Gar how ya doin Bud,

Good info-----I did not know that.
If I did, I forget about it----you know oldtimers, I mean sometimers, O heck I think it's alzhiemers :help