Old school trim gauge vs smartcraft

JWolff

Trying to figure appropriate running angles for my motor with an old school trim gauge. All you guys with newer boats keep quoting smartcraft numbers. Can anybody compare my gauge placement to an approximate smartcraft number so i know if i am still needing more trim or if i am getting carried away.
If i am in the same position as the pic. 3/4 down. What is that vs a smartcraft, around a 7 or 8?

Attachments

RedAllison

"All others being equal" & assuming your SC gage was calibrated correctly, yes they should jive. (& also, assuming the old gage is correct & consistent.

One thing tho, make sure when you're talking "SC#s vs position on the old gage" that BOTH boats have or don't have wedges. When I put wedges on my 2+2, I want to say it made a difference of 2 positions. That being that whatever position/tilt my motor was at say 2 on the SC would the take 4 "post wedges" to reach the same trim angle.

gmorgan

You need to level your pad, level your prop shaft, look and see what the trim gauge is indicating, and then you know what neutral trim is on your boat. It should drive well at this point and the maximum trim for top speed should be just a few bumps up from that point. I hope this is what you are wanting to know. I really can't tell you how consistent your old school trim gauge is though. If you want to check that out, you might experiment with it by trimming it on the trailer up or down and then placing it back at the neutral trim point on the gauge and then measuring for level again to see how close it is.

xb03fs

Wprking trim guage is definatly on my to do list for hard acceleration runs. So for my tweaked 27 XOB has run 86.3 on a lake and 89.2 down a river. No trim guage just feeling it out.

At wot feeling what the boat is telling you is more important than a guage

Now for optimal holeshot and midrange trim points I feel they are very valuable which is why I need to get my Smartcraft working