Not good....

K

Kevin from FL

The pics tell the story as far as I'm concerned. I see no oil pump ralated failure. If anyone knows of another drive gear that makes this system work, please let me know and I will take a pic of it or if you have another idea as to why everything is perfect as far as the oil drive system and a failure happened, let me know.

GFinch

Hey Kevin
More than likely the gear on the crank shaft is bad. You will be able to see it better when the front half comes off.
Had one go on a 1987 mariner 175. Just had launched, horn sounded, shut off, restarted still had oil smoke, shut it off , trolling motor back to trailer. Pump had seazed, took the plastic crank drive gear. The bad part was a piece of the plastic gear got between the piston rings on that cylinder and scoured the plating. Sleeved that hole. Put a new gear on,mixed oil/gas and when I sold the boat/motor I put a new oil pump on.
Look on the bright side, TIME TO MODIFY, lets see
top pin the pistons
port the cylinders
shave the heads
hog out the exaust chest
ect, ect
Or wait until I win the Purple raffel boat and I'll sell you the motor off it.
The Mariner/ boat was a 18.4 Champion, gun metal hull/alpha jewels, arrow and top cap were purple with crimsion red pins. Known as the purple boat, although it only had the arrow purple. Now have a 19 same colors with a sort of stock Johnson and a XB2003 with a very unstock johnson. But its like the newspaper, black and white and red all over.
Gary

Yellowallison

Kev.. call me again ASAP tommorrow.. got some more info for ya.. or tonight on my cell.. I be up .. for while...

I got busy in my shop working forgot to call ya earlier and tel ya.. something...

talk to ya soon..

jerryingeorgia

Kevin, My 225 Pro Max seized at 135 hours and we were never able to find an absolute reason. Best bet was that my fuel intake, in the tank, was partially blocked and created a lean condition. That is something you might want to look at...others may want to check this on their boats too.

Mine had been in the shop half a dozen times since it was new, but nobody ever found anything wrong until it blew.

New power head has run great, but it has over 100 hours so is probably near the end of its life.

K

Kevin from FL

Gary, if you win the bote, you should give me the motor :lol:

I can see the crankshaft gear and it is fine the same as all the rest of the gears. Who knows what happened, I'm just glad I was ideling :D

Jerry, this may be another one in the books as unexplained failure and I'll check that out.

brotherxb03

I chunked my oil injection years ago. When you can see your tank,no problem I can look at mine and know just about what it will take to fill up. You shure it wasn't water getting in there removing the carbon,Like blown head gasket or cracked block.

K

Kevin from FL

I still have one year left on my extended warranty from a non-merc company. We will see what they say. The motor will not be delayed one minute awaiting the insurance outcome.

GFinch

GIVE?

Mine was stripped, it looked OK. I couldn't see it until I got the front half off.
If you got that motor wouldn't it be a step backwards, power wise?
Gary

K

Kevin from FL

Speed has never been my goal, Allison had and still has the only Bass Boat made that can do it all for less.

hack02

Might be time to strap a new Verado on the back of that puppy. Three or four wally world balls in the jackplate and you'll be set to go. In all seriousness, its bad but like you said, you were idling. It could have gotten real ugly real fast with a few revs.

froggy

Kevin,

For whatever reason, I could not view your picture(s); however, could the cylinder scuffing have come from the carbon, that was detaching and going out the exhaust ports? Normally, when you use decarbonizer, the carbon, more or less, explodes into very small pieces and goes out the exhaust ports. It seems your carbon was leaving in very large pieces.

froggy

GPI Racing

Someone linked me to this. Looking at your pictures I would not rule out a steam pocket (water flow) causing the failure. I don't think carbon would cause that much failure, maybe slight scratching but that's about it. If it was oil related you should see the same sort of damage on all the cylinders, not exactly the same but they all should show some problems. If you rebuild this and pull the oil system why would you put in used pistons that were pinned from the top? (some suggestions from the floor) Why not use some pistons made from the proper material that don't have pin problems in the first place. If you research it, the personal watercraft, snowmobile, and motorcycle industry doesn't have pin problems and they don't run "top pinned" pistons. They just use product that is properly designed and made from good material.

Now guys, don't take this wrong or as me tooting some horn. But think about it. The pin thing is blown a little out of proportion. Granted the pistons merc uses suck, but they are a $40 part(what merc pays). I've been using a piston from Europe for the last 4 years and have NEVER had a pin issue...ever. $120 with rings and a nice part.

Just wanted to get you guys thinking...

Randy

Yellowallison

I agree so much with ya .. Randy and I told Kevin everything you just said..

* Looks like heat had an issue in it..

* Oil injection is iffy

* and He need to put some good pistons in it since he wants to keep the boat and motr for while..

and Yes Mercury pistons SUCK! killed some good motrs!

Cool! makes yu feel good when yur advice opions to others were right inline with an Expert - soemone who knws thier chit! :D

K

Kevin from FL

My motor is under warranty, if it's a oil related failure, it will be covered and paid for. That's fine and I will elect on my own to waiver the future coverage from this company for the remaining year left on my warranty by having the Merc oil delivery system removed from my motor.

If it's not oil related or otherwise paid for by my Insurer, I will saddle the cost and then elect to void or not void the warranty of the Merc dealer re-building the motor because of non Mercury pistons.

I'm going with the warranty. If the motor blows and isn't covered because of the failure, I'll get a new motor and part out the old one.

I respect all that have given advice here and I understand what has been said.

Yellowallison

Kevin.. I forgot to mention tonight onthe phone...

I got a 225 PM , 200 EFI and 300 Draghanging in my garage..... If yu need a Powerhead for the rally.. we'll sit one for ya and yu can ride...

or we'll clean yur bores up... sneak 2 pistons in.. and get ya ridin....

or ......... Yu can pull my Young/300 up the rally and we'll ride in it..

either way.. you wont be left on the dock.....

GET R DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I would guess Larry we'll get ya going...as you HOPE!

Leigh

Kev We can all pile in our boat an let Dylan chauffer us around. No one is left at the dock!!!!!! Heck I bet T and me wouldn't even mind gettin a pontoon each day.

K

Kevin from FL

Thanks guys, hopefully Mrs. T. and I won't need the generosity expressed.

J

John Richied

Yeah it does look funny. I can’t quite put my finger on it but I think its because the engine cowling is off... hehehe

If it were I and I had a one-year warranty left I would leave the oil injection on, at least until she is broke in and why not for the next year.

The scary part is if they don’t find the why and it something simple like your fuel pickup in your fuel cell is plugging up then the next engine maybe doomed too.

I hope all goes as best it can and your up and running soon!

K

Kevin from FL

Thanks John, I forgot about the fuel cell.

This is what I found taking a pic through 25 gallons of gas.
Junk found in gas tank.

I'm not going back with Merc pistons, so the insurance is a non issue at this point and the oil injection will not be re-installed. 40:1 is the name :)

I'll take some pics of the stuff I get out of the tank tomorrow and give everyone a break down of what it is.

I updated the page with the stuff that was in the tank. I found a few flakes of aluminum, a couple slivers of wood, some light gray plastic shavings, some fuel cell plastic shavings, a very small leaf, a bug wing, a small seed pod husk, some small unknown orange and yellow beads, and the black stuff looks and feels like carbon.

Now how in the heck did all of that get in my gas tank?