Not good....

Rocket

Nope! That's "Not Good"! :( Sorry Kev!

Well,,,,It Looks like its time to Add somemore HP! :shock: :D

J

John Richied

Sorry about that Kevin… that does suck!

What sucks most about that is I believe you took pretty good care of your engine and boat and didn’t really run it hard.

Any idea of the cause?
Just a wild guess but, it looks like a lack of oil or possibly carbon build up that wouldn’t let the rings move freely on the piston?

Sorry and I hope the rebuild doesn’t end up costing too much or taking too long.

K

Kevin from FL

Not sure John.

I did get an oil warning alarm at idle yesterday and shut the engine down. I pulled the cowl and checked the water seperator LED. No light so I trolled back to the ramp and put her on the hill.

When I got home I broke out the manual and went through the electrical checks that I could do. Remote tank was full (checked that on the water) and the float works, 12v to the oil motion sensor was fine. I would have to crank the engine for the other electrical checks and didn't mess with that part.

Took the oil pump off and all gears are fine. I turned the pump while I had if off and it spit what little oil was in it out. I didn't do the oil pump flow check because I didn't want to crank the engine.

I called Scott and asked him to get me a oil pump blank off kit and some head gaskets because I was going to pull the heads for a look see.

I pulled the plugs first and all had oil on them. When I pulled the heads, all the cylinders had oil in them but the two were scuffed?

I'm stumped, but will get it fixed real soon :)

You gotta love Real Nice Outboard Motor's :lol:

K

Kevin from FL

Forgot to add:

I just switched over to Penzoil Syn a couple of months ago. I have always run Merc Pre Plus. The top of the pistons have sheets of carbon peeling off :shock:

In the first pic I had scraped it off.

wj225

Carbon

Kevin,
Do you think the Merc oil caused the carbon or the Pennzoil?

Bill

TODD2002

man that tough. Kevin you seem like someone that takes very good care of there things. If it happened to you it could very well happen to anyone. I hope it wasn't the oil that cause the problem.

I have motor problem of my own which I found today. Motor will start then it shuts down like its not getting fire. sounds like the computer again.

RB in NM

That ain't good bud! I don't see any deep groves that is typical with the locator pin coming aloose on ya. That's what mine did, the locator pin. it was very evident. There is quite a bit of carbon build up, but the cylinders look purdy wet still.

Jay can fix ya right up bro!!!!

Russ

chad202

Kevin, did you powertuner the motor before switching over to Pennzoil? It looks like the Penn could have been slowing taking the carbon off in pieces where as Powertune would've dissolved it on contact. Just a thought.

Rocket

IMHO the Penz. is a GREAT oil! :D (I like any Synthetic)

But, when you switch to ANY 100% synthetic, you have to get ALL the old gas out (sythitics WON"T mix)! And if you had been useing reg oil for a long time,, there will be some carbon break loose! :shock: (but I odn't know about doing that!!)

The motors that run on Synthetics, seem to be much cleaner!! :D

Sorry again Kev! :(

Yellowallison

Kev.. Yea call me today............. you should have called me back last night - yesterday ---- I'd came over and help ya ...

I was on you side of town all day.. at Jacks and the G-Friends hosue...

OK.. I want worry bout the head gaskets and oil kit today..

Call me Later.......

No sweat - we get't it fixed!

Yellowallison

Whats SAD izzz!!!!!!!! ............ :oops: :oops: this would be one of many many motors that I've rebuilt cause of oil injection failure - and killed a perfectly running-maintained motor...

Mercury pistons Pins and oil injection failures have made me a bunch of side job/racing muney!

Thaz why Ole Yallr says -suggest it all the time.. and says it over and over.. If yur motor is not in Mercury Warranty...... I suggest ya Deoil it and pin tha Pistons Pins! !! then yu know yuz got oil and good Pistons!

Nuther FYI.. these extended warranty covers luv to side stepp oil injections problems when it comes to fixin them

Just my 1 cents of suggestions...

Yo PINK! can yu say OMC babY! --
:shock: :shock:

Opps that right I still own a few HP Mercury's and got a 300x goning on my new Young..

J

John Richied

Kevin did say he got the intermittent beep (oil injection warning) and the remote tank was full of oil so I would have to believe the signal came from the sensor on the oil pump…Makes me think the plastic oil pump gear that you can’t inspect just by pulling the oil pump took a panda. With that being said I was always lead to believe the oil injection failing is blamed on a lot of two stroke engine failures and it’s really not the case. I disconnected my oil injection years ago, but that was due to the fact that I turn it up to 7500 Rpm’s and the oil pump gear is likely to fail in a 225 ProMax turning over 7000 rpm’s.

Letting the carbon build up over a long period of time then soaking the engine with a decarb is going to let chunks of carbon loose inside your piston, rings, cylinders etc and as hard as the carbon is you could be doing a lot of damage.
As far as decarbon the engine even if you run 100% synthetic oil it’s a good idea to prevent the carbon from building up. I like to run the Yamaha Ringfree now and then to help prevent the carbon from building up. I also use the Merc Powertune and or Carb Cleaner when I pull the heads off and soak the top of the pistons real well from the top letting it soak into the rings…

I try to learn something from other peoples experience but in most cases the cause of a powerhead failure is never diagnosed as for sure this was the cause. In any case I’m sure my 1996 225 ProMax is on it’s last season and it’s not IF but WHEN she goes.

For now I’m turning her UP (lots of Rpm’s) to blow the carbon out and keeping my fingers crossed… hehehe

Kevin, I wouldn’t let Yeller work on my wheelbarrow. He just might try to put OMC pistons in your Merc, he ain’t right like that… LOL :wink:

Yellowallison

Hey PINK! :lol:

Yu gettin ready to watch a Wheelbarrell with an LIVEwell put yu on tha Trailer..

If yu scared .. Call 1800-Ace is the place!

J

John Richied

Wheelbarrow: a small usually single-wheeled vehicle that is used for carrying small loads or used as a fish livewell and is fitted with handles at the rear by which it can be pushed and guided...

So dats whatcha bringin... can ya haul COLD beer with it for us too? :wink:

K

Kevin from FL

John, the gear in the engine I can't get to. It turns the oil pump drive shaft fine when you rotate the flywheel by hand, but that doesn't mean it go's ti^'s up under a load/faster rpm.

I added some pics showing the carbon on the pistons, the Penzoil Syn was removing the carbon :shock:

The engine will not have oil injection when it goes back together and the heads will be removed every season from here on out :)

K

Kevin from FL

John, I didn't want to pull the fuel pump for a pic so I looked at the worm gear in the engine with an inspection mirror. It's perfect.

This is the best shot I could get by myself :)

Not Good.

Rocket

Kevin from FL said:
John, the gear in the engine I can't get to. It turns the oil pump drive shaft fine when you rotate the flywheel by hand, but that doesn't mean it go's ti^'s up under a load/faster rpm.

I added some pics showing the carbon on the pistons, the Penzoil Syn was removing the carbon :shock:

The engine will not have oil injection when it goes back together and the heads will be removed every season from here on out :)
Kev,

FMI,,, I was wondering how many hours you had on that motor? :? And How hard do you drive it? :shock: How many RPM's do you like to run it at? :roll:

By the way what motor is it exactly? :oops: (year make model, ect.)

RRR 8)

K

Kevin from FL

2000 225 PM.

Normal running is 65 to 75 GPS.

Hours, I have no clue.