no frills xb21

Alli-drenaline Rush

A high compression 2.5 would like a light boat alot better, I don't think i'd run a 2.5 on one of those, 225 or 250 3l is what i would be looking at if it were me.
I'll let you know if ever I get enough beans for an XB-21.... When I do, it'll have a 2.5 280 on it.....

90 5.0

I'll let you know if ever I get enough beans for an XB-21.... When I do, it'll have a 2.5 280 on it.....
that would do better than an upper comp 200 like his, but from what i've read even the guys with 280's on them liked 250 3l's better.

for all around and fishing use, carrying heavy loads etc..

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the 200 would be a GREAT motor until you got a 3.0 down the road. Would it be as great as a 3.0? Nope. Will it get the job done? Yep.

Alli-drenaline Rush

I hear ya 90 5.0.... I've fished for 9 years every lake from Toledo to Amistad, and from Coleto Creek to Richland Chambers, and in that time I've seen one Bullet and two Allisons. Everything else is a cookie-cutter. So in that context 2.5 or 3.0 really doesn't matter..... It'll be no contest every time.

BTW, Allyfishing investigated a 280 for his 2+2 and he has it on good authority that a 280 is competitive against all production 3L motors (in top speed and acceleration) except the 300XS in a long speed run....

PS - I just donned my fire-retardant clothing lol.....

GotMyAlly

BTW, Allyfishing investigated a 280 for his 2+2 and he has it on good authority that a 280 is competitive against all production 3L motors (in top speed and acceleration) except the 300XS in a long speed run....
While I think that may be possible with a very light load, I believe the 280's holeshot, acceleration, and top end is going to fall off quick as you add weight. You'll be dropping in pitch to get the RPMs up to compensate for the extra weight, and by doing that you'll give up top end.

90 5.0

I hear ya 90 5.0.... I've fished for 9 years every lake from Toledo to Amistad, and from Coleto Creek to Richland Chambers, and in that time I've seen one Bullet and two Allisons. Everything else is a cookie-cutter. So in that context 2.5 or 3.0 really doesn't matter..... It'll be no contest every time.

PS - I just donned my fire-retardant clothing lol.....
you have to watch out for those 90+ mph basscats though lol....

And i would agree too, light and not loaded to fish i'm sure it would hang or run by the 3l. I'm talking full accessories, rods gear and fish in the livewell, all around the 3l i bet would be worlds better, just not faster if at all..

it's not a new concept, high compression hard reving engines like to be inlight vehicles, were as more cube lower reving more torque making motors are better suited for heavier rides.

I'll use my mustang for example, I have a high compression 10k rpm 302 in it, it's a gutted coupe with cromoly k member etc etc, motor flies in that light car.

but if i stuck it in a stock heavy new model mustang it's going to run like poop because the motor doesn't like lugging weight around at all.

Last edited:

xb03fs

I hardly load my boat heavy unless I am out skiing which requires a small prop either way. I don't bass fish just crappie so my fishing load is a bucket of minnows and a couple fishing poles one tackle bag

Last edited:

Allyfishing

A high compression 2.5 would like a light boat alot better, I don't think i'd run a 2.5 on one of those, 225 or 250 3l is what i would be looking at if it were me.
Not to argue with you on that point but i disagree in part. I had a 2.5l ProMax on mine until recently it was a very strong engine and it did EVERYTHING great on my 2+2. No, I did not hit 90 but everything else but that. If only the block had not cracked I would still have it on and be completely satisfied.

Alli-drenaline Rush

You'll be dropping in pitch to get the RPMs up to compensate for the extra weight, and by doing that you'll give up top end.
No doubt, GMA..... I may end up in the 26 / 27" pitch range, which means I'll have to let her eat, but if I am not mistaken a 26p wheel is a bit more forgiving in terms of handling characteristics than a 29 or 30p wheel????

GotMyAlly

With the high RPM range of a 280, you may be dropping lower than that. A lot of guys run 26"-27" pitch props on 280s on XB03's.

When I had my 21/225X, I ran a 25" X-OT for a fishing prop quite a bit. It would run high 70s regardless of how you loaded the boat, all over the 6850 rev limiter.

In contrast, I had a 27" OT. It ran 86 with one person in the boat. A second person dropped it to 83-84. But when I filled the livewell up, holeshot got real sluggish and I had to work to break 80.

Alli-drenaline Rush

I had to work to break 80.
LOL - if I were to get an XB21, I'd be trading a Ranger 521VX for it..... which means that I'd be losing 790 - 800 lb in fat and gaining 30 - 35 hp.....

So regardless of 2.5L or 3.0L - what's not to like about that??????

Deltas:
Hull - 530 lb
Engine - 105 lb
Gasoline - 100 lb
Batteries - ca 30 lb
Oil Reservoir - 25 lb

flatout

As you get older the creature comforts become more attractive and the search for the last ounce of speed diminishes. I had a great XB2003 with a 225 promax. It beat everything around and was a fun ride but it was high maintenance. (Sort of like my last girlfriend). I finally ran out if spare pistons and got tired of working on it all the time to keep it together. Also the ride was a lot more,,how do you say, "busy" at the high speeds. I finally got a new girlfriend, sold my 2003 and bought an XB21 ProSport with a 250XS. Both decisions were the right ones. The XB21 cruises with a full tournament load at 80+ mph without fighting with it. I can sqeak out 90 if I really try but I rarely try unless I need to! The fastest boat around (besides mine) is my brother's Bullet and he struggles to get high 70s with a tournament load. (see ya!)
I bought my boat in 2007 from a very well respected gentleman in Vermont who wanted to keep his boats a couple of years max. I paid a reasonable price and couldnt be happier. The trick to finding one is to look every day and jump on it when it comes up for sale. They are such a great boat they don't sit for long.

Last edited:

thegoop

I thought the 225 promax was supposed to be reliable. Am I in for surprise expenses? So the 21 is easier to drive? Hmmm.

GotMyAlly

I thought the 225 promax was supposed to be reliable. Am I in for surprise expenses? So the 21 is easier to drive? Hmmm.
I never turned a wrench on my 225X in 6 yrs other than regular maintenance - changed the water pump once a year, lower unit fluid once or twice a year, and new plugs once about 3-4 years in. The only thing I know of that would make the promax any less reliable is the plastic gear that drives the oil pump.....and that's an easy fix.

I think my 03 was easier to drive. ANd XR01's even easier yet. Seems like the smaller you go, the easier they drive. The bigger boats have more weight to balance on a small pad, and punch a much larger hole in the air.

flatout

My Promax was modified and had high compression. Im sure a stock fresh motor is reliable but I had to screw with it!!!! It suffered the dreaded locator pin failure a few times. and needed sleeves twice as a result. Also the regulators burnt a couple of times and the lower unit needed to be rebuilt a couple of times, water pumps, fuel pumps, cracked oil reservoir caps , motor mounts, broken tuner bolts, the regular stuff. I can say that I have not done a thing to my 3 liter except drive it. I did recently change the fuel line and filter and I installed a new set of plugs last year. I always put in fresh oil and a new impeller in the lower unit every year cause I store the entire lower unit and prop in my basement and its sooo easy to change. The promax lower unit was a bit of a juggling act everytime to line up the water line and get the splines all lined up. The 3L slips in easy with no hassle. The only thing I find harder on the 3 litre is changing plugs. They are a bit pricier and awkward to get at but the fact that it runs on regular and gets 6-7 miles to the gallon helps. The Promax got 4 mpg at best and needed 91 octane. (Imperial Gallon)
As for the XB20003 vs the XB21 to drive, I find the XB21 a lot more stable and forgiving. I haven't done an unintentional bat turn in my 21 yet. I grabbed cloth many times in the 2003.

Last edited: