New Mercury V6

Rrbarrett

Thinking about xb21 pro sport the 4 stroke mercury v6 250 is this the answer for weight savings. Has anybody have accurate weight.I would like to go above 85 at least some of the time; can you find rebuildable sport master to fit or is it cost effective. Hate to go 300 R hearing about handling problems, due to weight ;plus cost. The added on cones for lower unit ( for V6) seem like weak link how do you get low water intake then reliability of unit it self, bearings heat or this to new of a product & no body has tried them out due to availability. What kind of handling problems, letting off? Or do you just need experience, sounds like motor 300 R is just to heavy for design of boat . I know racing dirt bikes , lighter you can throw around ,great handling ; heavier you work harder , for the same results ;have to use torque to your advantage. Maybe the best recommendation would be used 2 stroke, New boat

dubmoney

I don't think Mercury offers a v6 fourstroke 250. I don't think the new V8 is too heavy for the xb21. The only draw back I am hearing is that the alloy used in the new sportmaster is weak. Sounds to me like the solution for you is a six cylinder two stroke 3.0 liter 250 or 300xs. If you use a sportmaster, you will avoid the modified torquemaster with cone.

G Allen

The new V6 four stroke comes from Merc rated for 225, not 250. But some tuners are working on developing products to bump up the power a fair amount.

Rrbarrett

My mistake on 250 I was thinking the up grade route , later,been reading a lot lately got the bug, , i Really like what every one has said about the 300xs sounds like the ones that have them, love them, an the ones that started to go that route wish they had of . Thanks for come backs, if you hear anymore about alloy on new sport master being weak let me know before I bite off the big one

xb03fs

250 or 300 opti or v8 both perform well/ similar. The v8 has very good manners.... I want to upgrade motors.

Lotus 50

The 300 V8 is a claimed 512 lb and per S&F about 50 -60 lb more than that in real life. It's way too much for my SS2000, but could the 21 handle that weight? The V8 4 stroke is supposed to have a lot more torque and a bit more speed than the 300XS

Rrbarrett

I don't think Mercury offers a v6 fourstroke 250. I don't think the new V8 is too heavy for the xb21. The only draw back I am hearing is that the alloy used in the new sportmaster is weak. Sounds to me like the solution for you is a six cylinder two stroke 3.0 liter 250 or 300xs. If you use a sportmaster, you will avoid the modified torquemaster with cone.
They might be dropping price on 2 strokes due to a lot of people wanting to go to the 4 strokes ,hopefully

Lotus 50

2 strokes from Mercury are a fond memory. You might find a leftover. By all accounts except weight the V8 4 stroke is better then the 300XS.

Rrbarrett

I don’t think they are making mercury 2 strokes since 2018 but a lot of people are going to repower with the newest & greatest thing that comes along . Me I got more time than money, You guys have a lot of experience with 2 strokes know how to set them up good motors still part availability, probably going with 300xs proven combo hoping to pickup a used low hour motor later at a good price ;couple years after bugs are worked out maybe 300R hopefully I can use yalls input on the 2 stroke to get it & combination dialed in right the first time; experimenting cost money