Mike Nass cowling raffled for DSRA

patches

Mike Nass was kind enough to provide a cowl for us to benefit our high points fund. Let me know if you have any questions

ALL DSRA RACERS!!!!!!!
HNS DONATED MERCURY CARBON FIBER COWLING!!!
Thanks to Taco - HNS has donated the cowling at no expense to DSRA. The Cowling will raise $5,000 dollars to be added to the High Points Fund!!!!

1 OUT OF 100 CHANCES TO WIN!!!!
100 SQUARES TO BE SOLD AT $50 A SQUARE!!!!
THE COWLING WILL BE DISPLAYED AT ALL DSRA RACES!!!
WINNER WILL BE PULLED AT THE DSRA BANQUET!!!!Squares may be purchased at anytime by ANYONE by sending in a $50.00 check with the following information:

Check made payable to : DSRA
Memo Line of check: DSRA Cowling Raffle
Address: 1223 Burdin Olivier Rd
Arnaudville, LA 70512

xb03fs

when is the deadline for the donation. Will this fit all 2.5 motors? Such as my 200XRI?

xb03fs

I still have 40 Amp stuff I thought the lightweight Alien cowls fit everything?

patches

Carbon Drag with Dzuz fasteners. I'll get some pics up in a bit. You can also go to www.deepsouthracing.net and at the top of the page click on gallery and there's pics there. Thanks y'all! We're gonna have a really good year in DSRA.

Bobalouie

Heres mine with the Dzus fasteners if anyone is curious what they look like, It weighs about 9 lbs total for the cowl, pan and skirt:

patches

We have a lot of interest in the club this year. Hoping to have a couple 60-70 boat fields at some sites. If you live in the region I hope ya'll will come to a race or two and talk to somebody about joining us. Its a lot of family fun and can get very addictive. If anybody has any questions about coming or participating let me know by pm and I'll help as much as I can. Here's our schedule

Catahoula, La March 31-April 1
Gulfport, Ms May 5-6
Mt Pleasant, Tx July 21-22 Good race for all you Oklahoma guys to attend
Butte Larose, La August 18-19
Morgan City, La September 21-23

patches

Bobalouie, nice cowling

Couple difference's- the one we're raffling off has the side vents closed in and by looking at it in the picture it may be one of the new shorter ones. Very trick piece. I have one on my boat I'll go take pics of

Bobalouie

So, I assume the other version is using the open faceplate to draw in air, since the side plates are closed off, or is it inducting some other way?

patches

Yes. I actually ran mine with the faceplate on the last time I ran it and couldn't tell any difference. That was the video's I posted at the end of January when I was racing the jeboats in Houston at our Winternats get together.It still has the louvers in the top to pull air into the cowling. I think the only difference in mine and the one being raffled is it has Dzuz fasteners and mine has bungies. Mine is the newer shorter and narrower version. I was so happy with the cowl when I got it. Mike does awesome work

Bobalouie

I think mine is the same as yours except with the scoops. Mine is so narrow that it just barely clears the switchboxes with the Dzus fasteners on the inside. The other side is probably about 3/4" or so from the fuel rail. I cant imagine mine fitting if it were any narrower. That being said, my pan looks taller than yours on the front. Mine has round holes, whereas yours has oval.

+1 on Mike Nass. I was very impressed with his work, and his customer service is second to none. Very nice and fair guy.

Last edited:

patches

Yours is the exact Drag copy. Easiest place to tell is that few inches right above the faceplate and then the arc up to the top is shallower. The new one is 1.5" shorter and the .75" of an inch narrower at the very front. Plus it has the side vents closed up.
Good catch on the pan. I had to cut 1.25" out of the thickness of the pan to clear my boat since my motor is so tight on the transom the cowling hits the boat.
Here's a cell phone pic of the new one on the right next to a factory Drag cowl

Last edited:

Bobalouie

Thanks for the phots Erik, that makes it alot clearer. I didnt think there was that much of a difference, but that pretty clearly illustrates it.

Darn nice cowls anyway you slice them! Whoever gets that cowl for $50 is going to be a huge winner.