Mercury Racing parts

BGohr

At boat.net? Was wondering if the complete powerhead from Mercury comes fully dressed out? Was guessing the $9500 280 was long block assembly??
9500 should a long block,why you need one??

JaySmithRacing

If I'm not mistaken Bill , Mercury is now using ARP bolts as thier vendor in thier High Performance motors might be wrong..I tore down a VERY late model virgin 280 a while back and they were installed in it might have just been a fluke...

ARP is a top and well known bolt supplier in the racing world ( Nascar, NHRA, etc, ) my guess would be if they'll hold up in an 8000 HP fuel motor rod bolt they should hold up in a Merc...

Jay

AMERICAN

If I'm not mistaken Bill , Mercury is now using ARP bolts as thier vendor in thier High Performance motors might be wrong..I tore down a VERY late model virgin 280 a while back and they were installed in it might have just been a fluke...

ARP is a top and well known bolt supplier in the racing world ( Nascar, NHRA, etc, ) my guess would be if they'll hold up in an 8000 HP fuel motor rod bolt they should hold up in a Merc...

Jay
Jay ,
I believe you are correct,I just seen a special on the tv and they showed ARP manufacturing shop,there top notch..I have a whole new respect for ARP bolts....and there made in the USA www.arp-bolts.com
Mike

Last edited:

BGohr

Jay
Jay, I don't remember saying that ARP were bad or wrong, ARP makes alot of good hardware, I stated that SPS is what Mercury uses. I know that they would have went through their verification process as they do for any of their components and what they chose is good enough for me. No sense in reinventing the wheel on a part which doesn't seem to cause any issues.

The last 2010 Champ PH I took apart still had SPS in it

Last edited: