Mercury prop issues !

fishnfireman

It would be interesting to have a few numbers to put with the claims of broken Merc. propellers.

At first it was the Trophy's now the Pro ET's

Has anyone heard of any of there 3 blade props breaking ?
Or is it just the 4 blades.
It would be interesting to know if all there props are made at the same place. Or if some are made at different places. It would also be of intrest to know how many of the broken ones came from the same batch or even from the same time period.

You would think that Merc. would be looking real hard at why these props are breaking..It sounds like they have had to replace a train load of them at there expence.

boataddict

good luck dealing with merc. i am still waiting for scott reichow from the prop division to call me back. only been 3 months:mad:

J

John Richied

I have a 26 & 28 Lightning ET both with hairline cracks that you can

hirk

So I sold them on E-Bay for $450 each, plus shipping

suicidealli

i know they are breaking on the 3.0L.... all the torq they dont last long.... a friend of mine gets about 3 months out of one....... wouldn't that suck...........

catfish123

I think he's lying...................LOL............he sold at least one of those cracked props to me.

froggy

Merc is using their new, "wonder alloy", X7, on the 4 blade ET. It's the 4 blade ET that's cracking, not the 3 blade. This has happened before with Merc, and others, when they switched to a new alloy that was, technically, superior but in the real world, really inferior.

I think the X7 has problems at the thicknesses Merc uses it. Maybe it's not good at any thickness.

Merc resolved prior alloy problems by going to 15-5 or 17-4 and their props had a mark showing which alloy was used. The wrong, or inappropriate, alloy would not hot pour, into a mold,reliably, without voids or would work harden quickly and subsequently break.

I'd wait until Merc either switches to a tried and true alloy or changes the structural design before I bought a new 4 blade ET.

Just my $.02

froggy

GFinch

I tried to get John's props butt he wouldn't give them to me. Send them to JC's get them fixed John.

biller31

I've turned two 4 blade trophys into 3 blades thus far. Not doing anything special just cruising slowly down the river.

fishnfireman

Merc is using their new, "wonder alloy", X7, on the 4 blade ET. It's the 4 blade ET that's cracking, not the 3 blade. This has happened before with Merc, and others, when they switched to a new alloy that was, technically, superior but in the real world, really inferior.

I think the X7 has problems at the thicknesses Merc uses it. Maybe it's not good at any thickness.

Merc resolved prior alloy problems by going to 15-5 or 17-4 and their props had a mark showing which alloy was used. The wrong, or inappropriate, alloy would not hot pour, into a mold,reliably, without voids or would work harden quickly and subsequently break.

I'd wait until Merc either switches to a tried and true alloy or changes the structural design before I bought a new 4 blade ET.

Just my $.02

froggy
Sure would be nice to find out....what "mark" the bad alloy props have on them !

We might start a post with all the broke props we have among the readers...and see if we can find a corelation.

The pro ET I broke is marked From the pour--Mercury Racing 8M0006016 28P

then stamped Probly from the person who labbed it 14 1/2 by 28 R then TAITL

I figure any (pour) alloy info would be in the --8M0006016

what do yall think ?

Blueally XB21

I thought it was just the labbed Pro ET's that where going deaf or cracking. I assumed they are thinned which would make them even more suseptable to cracking. Of course everyone knowns what ***-u-me does. Are they having problems with the stock (non-labbed) Pro ET's as well?

I know I have cracked a blade on a 27 trophy and had it rewelded and only use it for a spare (emergency prop).
Surfacing applications are rough on props, especially with some of our heavier XB21 hulls. I still run a 2.5 but I certianly agree the 3+ liters are even harder on the props with the added torque they have.

Harvey