Merc fat shaft hub snubber adhesive

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
OK, y'know those black plastic strips on the spendy Merc fat shaft hubs that are always falling off?

What is the best adhesive you have found to re-attach them? (assuming they didn't fall into the lake while pulling a prop).

I have a new hub from Merc and it seems they might have solved the problem. I've used 3M fast tack trim adhesive before with fair results but there is probably a better way.

Experienced advice appreciated, thanks.

LakeAnna

I used the black 3m weather strip adhesive and it seems to work okay... just gotta make sure it's nice and clean.

GotMyAlly

I epoxied mine on the last time they fell off. They're still attached, but apparently the epoxy was pretty thick because I had to shave em a little to make it fit. Probably should have pressed down harder ween the epoxy was wet.

catfish123

I have had good results with Weldwood Contact Cement.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
OK so I promptly ignored everyone.

I've tried the trim adhesive and some other hardening cements, so I thought I would think outside the box and try an experiment.

I began to think (this is where the trouble usually begins) that one of the reasons the strips come off is because they are meant to provide somewhat of a friction fit into the hub, at least at the rear portion of the hub.

When this friction is present (when the hub is inserted and run) it naturally makes the strips want to stay with the prop when the hub is withdrawn.

With hardening cements, there is no elastomeric "give" in this situation. If enough friction is present, the hard glue will crack and separate the strip from the hub.

So I cleaned the hub, removing all traces of grease, old glue, everything with solvents and did the same with the strips, finally cleansing all the parts with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

I then used Dow-Corning 3140 mil-spec RTV silicone compound (flowable) to adhere the strips. Since the bond takes time to set, I cut pieces of cardboard strips slightly smaller than the plastic ones to use as outward-facing pressure pads and then wrapped the whole affair with three super tight rubber bands to cure.

90%+ of the silicone came out the sides of the strips, but that won't hurt anything.

This 3140 crap sticks anything to anything once it sets, and it stretches rather than cracks. It is waterproof, grease and solvent proof, and we shall see if this works or if it was just another stupid idea.

The stuff won't easily come off of plastic, metal, formica, pretty much everything once it cures, so I hope these strips aren't the exception.

TBuck2003

Clean surface with Lacquer thinner and use gorilla glue. The offshore guys rip em' off all the time and this was the cure for me... Just do not use too much as it expands.

cj707

So far I've had good luck without any. Does it matter?

jcoats3

You can get a replacement set of strips. Think I ordered a set from Reynolds