Looking for recommendations - windshield cutting

GotMyAlly

Anybody had any work done on their wind screens? I want to get mine cut down to about half the original height. I do want it done right though, not looking like some jack-leg with a butter knife cut it. Anybody had something like this done before or know somebody with experience?

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I lived out in WA, I did some searching around town and found a plexiglass shop. I didn't have mine cut down, but I did have him copy it and make me a new one in clear. (came out looking great!) I bet if you were to find a shop like that in your area that they would be able to do it.

Another option, and I've never cut one before, but I'd think that if you took some masking tape and laid out where you wanted it cut, you could cut it then use a couple files and get it brought down to match your tape line. That should work to make a straight cut I'd think? I'll be trying that one day on my original smoked one that's hard to see through. I think I'll need a shorter one for some more airflow in the summer months here. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Brian

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
A glass shop could make a new one what ever height you want. Then you would still have the original. Mine cost about a$100. Not too hard to make a couple bends and drill a few holes.

atgill

Neal, these people has done work for me when I had a laser boat.
They maybe able to help you ?? They make plexglass windshiedls, or used to anyway.
Andy

Custom Mold & Tint Inc
1991 Highway 425 South
Monticello, Arkansas 71655

(870)-367-7083

GotMyAlly

A glass shop could make a new one what ever height you want. Then you would still have the original. Mine cost about a$100. Not too hard to make a couple bends and drill a few holes.
I've got 2.........kept the one off my old boat that was wrecked.

reward69

Masking tape, a thin bladed band saw, and a belt sander is preferred if doing it yourself.

hack02

Tape on both sides to keep it from cracking. You can also take a torch and heat a piece of metal and rub the hot iron along the cut to melt the edge back together to keep it from cracking in the future.

Todd D

Most glass shops around here use a really good fine blade in a jig saw. The last few I cut I used a diamond tile cutting blade in my grinder.

The Cashew Kid

Triple N glass Neal. They are on the service road next to 78 down from All Star Chevrolet in OB. They could prolly cut it for ya. A friend of mine owns the place. Greg Nowell. Tell him I sent ya.

TBuck2003

Give Pie Boy a SAWZALL at Clifton and let em cut it in the parking lot... Heard he has lowered some Big Wheels back in da day...

TBuck

strip

Neal, you can do it yourself. as they said, completely cover with masking tape, draw your line with a pen on the tape and follow the line. when you finish with tape still installed buff the edge with a quality buffer wheel and 800-1000 grit compound. It will look factory.

SLOmofo

When I got my XB2003 the windshield was crazed badly. I got a new one for replacement, I saved the old one.
Taped it on both sides and marked where I wanted to cut. Taped the bottom of the OLD jig saw, Sears 1970s issue. Put in a new fine tooth blade and had at it.
Painted it flat or mat black. It's real nice durning the summer cuz it lets more wind in the cabin plus it looks cool.

Old and new.

Cutting.

Old cut up and new:

GotMyAlly

Couldn't find anybody locally to do it, so I did it myself. Used a buddy's scroll saw, and then put a sanding block on it to smooth it out when I was done. I think it turned out pretty good.

Here's what I ended up with........