Livewell as an ice chest...

h2oskiier30

Anyone in the south used their livewell as an ice chest? Probably a common deal up north, but I'm talking about where the temps hit upper 90's, even triple digits, with 90+% humidity in the summers? How well does the ice keep on the hot days?

I did a search on this, and saw a couple of guys joking about it, but I'm wanting to know if anyone in the south is seriously doing this?

XB02, specifically.

skewby

a friend says thats what he does. its a built in cooler not a live well, swears it works great

xb03fs

I have tried it and Ice doesn't last nearly as long as it does in a cooler. Also the livewell is so big you have to use a TON of Ice..get a cooler.

GotMyAlly

I've done it when I was island camping and needed the space. I'd pack a cooler with stuff for day #2 and everything that was going to be consumed on day #1 went in the livewell. It works, kinda, but you're not going to have much ice left by the end of the day, even if you use several bags of ice to start out with. I'd insulate the lid if I was going to do it on a regular basis.

90 5.0

we do it all the time, chunk in more ice than you would a cooler, most of the ice is melted by the end of the day but the drinks are still cool enough to drink for sure

john w

I use 2 med size soft sided coolers, put them side by side in live well and it works great.

h2oskiier30

I use 2 med size soft sided coolers, put them side by side in live well and it works great.
That was my second thought.

Just trying to figure out a way to conserve some storage space.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why Darris didn't put an access hatch to the front storage on the XB02 like he did with the 03. A world of nearly wasted space under there.

patches

That was my second thought.

Just trying to figure out a way to conserve some storage space.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why Darris didn't put an access hatch to the front storage on the XB02 like he did with the 03. A world of nearly wasted space under there.
I've wondered the exact same thing

bigtis

I use the livewell as the ice chest always, but I also have free ice so I top it off with ice and use salt when it's triple digits. By dark it's half ice andhalf water. The only time I bring an ice chest is when I'm fishing.

suicidealli

I have a cooler that fits inside my live well. Kinda has a soft side, but a hard plastic liner. It just fits through the hole.. I used to much ice just in the live well. The best thing is to freeze blocks of ice, and mix it with bags, if using the live well. Last longer.

Roy

john w

I was out fishing today, and was thinking how nice it would be to have some storage under the deck. I might design something. Wasted space.

Roy
I recently saw a picture of a xb2002 front casting deck with a Tempress hatch cut into the deck. It looked nice. I know they do leak though.

suicidealli

We need to come up with something. Even something big enough to put some plastic lure box's. A nice door with even a mesh net for life jackets would be ok. Anything to free up some room. :-(

Roy

bassracr

I always Thot my livewell looked waaay to flimsy to stuff full of beer and have it rattle around in there . I also think these boats are to PURTY to have a big plastic door in the floor . Jmo ..I guess if you could make it like the 03's it would be nice. I just couldn't bring myself to cut a big hole in the floor..

chad202

If you never intend to use the livewell for fish, just get some spray insulation and spray the inside the livewell and underside of the door.