Lightened Flywheel - raised limiter RESULTS!!!

suicidealli

a bullet has a different pad... cant compare the two. i had a norris craft once... i could run it real high too.. the shape of the pad was lower in the center so you could get water pressure.... it was slightly angled up on each side so the prop had more water...
i broke a few choppers on that boat......

when you add water pressure at 100 mph, and the water hits that little lip it pushes up on the stern which pushes the bow down... i think we said the same thing..

a chopper doesn't lift the bow, it pushes the stern down which raises the bow.... and the opposite of a chopper is a cleaver. raises the stern, or transom, however you say it the end effect it what counts...

Last edited:

chad202

Bob, I may be wrong but reverse the bow lift theory. To lift the bow, you put the rear further in the water. So when the rear lifts, what should the bow do????

suicidealli

we kinda got off target on this thread....LOL flywheels, and raised limiter LOL
maybe we all learned a little ... that is what is all about...
how yo been chad??? sounds like your hitting some good numbers too.. my ss is at my lake house 200 miles away.. last time i went it was 30*... couldn't go set any records... usually in november i crack a high mph.... a little disappointing... all well.

roy

catfish123

I agree for sure with both of you, that raising the back of the boat because of the lip, does in fact, lower the bow. I don't understand however how raising the back of the boat, and lowering the bow, because the stock lip is intact, actually reduces the chance of blowout. I would think it increase the chance of it, because the back of the boat is being forced up. I thought removing the lip was what allegedly reduces the chance of blowout and/or bat turn, because the back of the boat is not being forced up and the bow down?

catfish123

Thanks Chad.......that's what I thought..............maybe I need to go back to bed for a while................LOL

suicidealli

with the lip fighting you when you are triming it up to get on the ragged edge......
the motor has to be trimmed more to achieve this, with the lip fighting you... so if this is true that means the motor is trimmed higher which will increase the probabillty of blowout.... these are just my experiences, and my opinions.... it is amazing some of the little changes can make a difference....

the lip can get you when chopping the throttle and cause bat turns... when you let out of it. the bow drops..... the lip causes it to drop more, and faster....

to be totally honest i found my boat runs the fastest at a lower trim angle..... most allison dont have to be ran with the bow so high....... when i run 30p and 32p i have to trim the hell out of them to get the speed and rpm's up..... if i run 28 i can achieve the same speed with lower trim angle, and more rpm's.... i feel safer, but the motor is taking more abuse........ everbody drives them a little different...
i'm to scarred to trim the hell out of the 28.... if remove some of the lip i'm hoping to keep the same trim angle and move a little faster..... i have been 110 a few times in my boat.... i don't want to think what would happen, if i blow out, or bat turn at 110......

NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
roy

catfish123

Roy.......I was paying too much attention to the first sentence or so of your original post about this, and in doing so, I guess I was ignoring the rest of your post where you were expressing your opinion on the whole thing..............It was my fault, but basically, I agree with everything you said, I just wasn't smart enough at first to know what you were saying because I wasn't paying enough attention to it............My wife accuses me of that all the time, maybe she has been right.............LOL

catfish123

I also think these real steeply pitched props, 30,32, etc, have much more of tendency to want to paddlewheel and walk to the surface, thereby increasing even further the chances of blowout.

chad202

You are correct Bob. As far as breaking blades do to engine height, I think it's not just the engine height. It's running high engine heights while trying to carry a very heavy load. That's one of the reasons why when I'm fishing with someone else and their gear, I just cruise.