Lightened Flywheel - raised limiter RESULTS!!!

catfish123

OK guys, some of you knew that I was having the limiter raised on my 2004 225X on my 1999 XB2003. I took the boat back up to the mountain lake, elevation about 950 ft above sea level on Saturday morning. I ran the boat quite a lot by myself mainly with my 26 ET and my 26 Chopper II. Let me say that ALL the props I have, have been worked so that must be considered when making comparisons between the "old" and the "new". Anyone who has had a personal best speed for a long time knows just how difficult it can be to better that number. Let me say that on Saturday, with the 26 ET, acceleration was noticeably better and especially at pretty fast speeds, the acceleration was really better. I had a full tank of gas, and the 26 ET ran 90.7 at 7180 rpm's as compared to the 86 it used to hit at 6850. Remember guys, I'm a rather chunky, lol, 60 year old guy who has a tough time bumping the trim the last time or two because of some prior scares. I just knew this prop would go better with my son driving. The 26 Chopper II has always been a very difficult prop to spin up and it remains that way but it ran 90.8 with old scardy pants in it right around 6950 rpms. I personally had only seen 89 something before with it. My son had run it previously to 90. (I had incorrectly posted before that it was 91.)

Anyway, I was very happy with those results and my son surprised my by driving a total of 250 miles to come up today, Sunday morning, even though he could only stay about 2 hours because he had to go back to our home town to work. We went to the lake at 7:30AM and the air temp was 40 degrees. A bit of a breeze was blowing. Here comes the results!!! He ran with the trolling motor on for these speeds and 25 gallons of gas. He hit 92.3 with the 26 Chopper II at 7140 compared to 90 at 6850. All the runs were on a fairly short stretch of lake about 1.5 mile. He hit 91.8 with the 26 ET at 7240 as compared to 86 at 6850. He hit 96.2, our best speed ever in 9 years of trying at 7080 with the 30 Chopper II as compared to 95.9 at 6850 before. He then ran it again to 7100 and got 96.7 and finally we took the trolling motor off, still about 20 gallons of gas. He hit 97.1 mph at 7120.

He told me that on a longer stretch of water, he KNOWS it will go still faster! The 30 Chopper II was always harder to get to the limiter than the 30 ET although previously they both had hit exactly 95.9. So we put the 30 ET on expecting maybe even a bigger number. On the first pass right in front on me, Matthew had gone .6 of a mile and was at 91 mph as recorded on the handheld GPS when it fell off the pad, the nose dropped suddenly and it was instant bat turn. In 9 years, we only had it hook on us once but it wasn't near this severe. We are very lucky. He may be bruised a little, but he stayed in the boat. We both decided it was time to put the boat on the trailer and take it home for the winter. We won't run it again for about 5 to 6 months. It will be a long winter waiting to see what can be obtained on top end with that 30 ET or with the 30 Chopper II on a longer stretch. I AM telling it like it is and I was very impressed with the increased acceleration and higher numbers. Matthew told me that 95 now was very easy with this new setup where before it was really tough to hit. My battery tray was ripped from the floor, it was on it's side and my dual pro charger was also "relocated", lol, and broken so I guess I need a new one. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the work Eric Simon did on my motor. He is a great guy and I would recommend these modifications to anyone. I sent my flywheel and ECU to him in California from Pennsylvania, and I had it back in a total of 3 days.

I'm just so thankful the good Lord was looking over Matthew this morning because I was REALLY upset by what happened. Sort of puts a whole different perspective on this need for a higher topend number. Sorry, I don't have time to proof read all this now but I'm going to submit it anyway.

Have a great day guys.

Bob

Last edited:

Kruton

Catfish123, Thanks for for posting your results! Ive got a 03/225x and have been following your post with alot of interest.

catfish123

Eric took it to 7300. My initial reaction is that it's plenty high enough for what I wanted to achieve. Putting a 23-24 pitch prop on and screaming it up to 7500-7000 isn't my bag. The acceleration with the 26 ET now is blistering enough.

catfish123

Just do it Neal............you know you want too..................LOL

The Cashew Kid

Tell him catfish! Heck yeah he knows he wants to do it. I just want him to so I can buy it from him down the road and It'll already be done. LOL And I just want to ride in it.:wink Be ready for ol' Pie Kang next time too!:wink :LMAO:

catfish123

Remeber Neal how you told me that hydraulic steering was so great and finally when I put it in with your help over the cell phone.........LOL.......I had to agree with you. Well, I'm trying to return the favor. This flywheel lightening and raising the limiter is the real deal!

Myron

your results are great and in line with what I have found on the 2003, the chopper II is faster than the the ET, IMHO they handle better also, but that is with my gearcase. How high was your motor when it blew out? Also how does the oil injection work ont he X motors?

catfish123

The motor was only about 1/4" below the pad. Sportmaster case with some modifications. The only other time it did something similar to this, it was definitely my fault. This time puzzles me a bit because Matt swears he wasn't trimmed too high and everything felt good. There was some chop on the water and some cross wind. He said all of a sudden it fell off the pad to the right, the nose came down quick, and it was merry-go-round time. UGLY!

jimmyb

oil injections works by an electronic oil pump the premixes the oil in the gas vapor seperator

badbait

First of all I'm glad to here that Matt is ok. At 1/4 below It's hard to come up with the reason for this happening unless Matt was over trimmed. You are running some great numbers with your setup. I just hate to hear about the bat turn especially when your not sure why it happened.

Last edited:

GFinch

I've turned mine around a couple of times at about the same height. I'm fairly sure in my case I was alarmed when the bow dropped and I lifted the throttle to much and too quickly.
Check to see if anything has loosened up , steering , engine mounting, trim bushings,...
What about differences in prop diameter in relationship to engine height?

Glad everything turned out O.K.

David Lanham

Thanks for the posting the results Catfish. Glad your Son is okay from the turn-around.

Sounds like the Simon Mod is something to look into for my X.

catfish123

Does anybody think that the chop and the cross wind may have thrown it off the pad and started the problem? I'm just looking for some more possible answers. Matt is so good at driving the boat that I don't think he was overtrimmed. He was only at 91 mph so by that time, he would still have a few "trim bumps" left.

catfish123

ET versus Chopper II------It has been my feeling that the Chopper II seems to be "grabbing more water" or that it is more locked in than all the ET's I have run. The boat just feels looser with the ET and the steering with it seems much looser at speed. Matt often says the boat doesn't seem to "free up" as much with the Chopper II. Until yesterday, I think he liked the more freed up feeling of the ET. Now I'm not so sure.

catfish123

How can you check to see if the trim bushings are bad? Thanks.

Myron

running in or at the 90's is pretty much at wide open, any sudden drop in speed from a little chop in the throttle could cause it, the faster you go the more you have to be carefull when slowing down. The reason the chopper II seams like it hooks the water better is because it is, on a ss 2000 or 2002 the ET's work real well, but to me the chopperII is the best for top end