Life of a 260 or 280

Luketrician

And you obviously don't understand that the internet is full of opinions. Just because mine differs from yours, I don't believe it warranted your smart azz comment.

and your OP wasn't?

If it wasn't intended to be then great, but it sure looked that way to me.

Either way It's all water off a ducks back imo

2003225X

and your OP wasn't?

If it wasn't intended to be then great, but it sure looked that way to me.

Either way It's all water off a ducks back imo
I think all that was being said was it doesn't make sense to "detune" a motor that is built to turn those kind of rpms. Save your money on rebuilds, and put a 225 on it...

I guess you could buy a Ferrari... shut it down on half the cylinders, detune the suspension, and make it a Fiat too. Wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to spend the money to own a performance machine like that if you are going to take the performance out of it would it?

catfish123

Thank you, that was my point but I guess it wasn't interpreted that way.

Luketrician

I think all that was being said was it doesn't make sense to "detune" a motor that is built to turn those kind of rpms. Save your money on rebuilds, and put a 225 on it...

I guess you could buy a Ferrari... shut it down on half the cylinders, detune the suspension, and make it a Fiat too. Wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to spend the money to own a performance machine like that if you are going to take the performance out of it would it?

I see where ya'll are coming from, but your analogy I think Is more than what I was talking about and somewhat skews the main topic.

What I am trying to say is that a 260 with lowered compression gives me a motor that may..last longer before needing a rebuild and may...be less likely to blow up at any point in time while I am running.

My " de-tuned" 260 IMO, is still a beast and makes for one heck of a ride pushing my XB02, and, if I want to go for a bit more hp for racing or whatever then I have that option.

HEY SKEWBY, yeah buddy, let's run around the bar this weekend for sure!

skewby

sounds great... just come up to the house around noon-thirty and we will be getting ready to go sometime soon after

Dave Hensley

Is Silverbullet going to be there? I told him I was looking for somebody to run with. Would like to come if I have something left here to bring.

sounds great... just come up to the house around noon-thirty and we will be getting ready to go sometime soon after

skewby

no bullet can't make it this wk end, with luke coming we might have 5 out. come on down dave the more the merrier. we try to ride drink eat ride some more every wk end

chad202

doesn't a stock 260 have 130# compression? How much less you wanna get. I'd say that's pretty mild already. I run 170# on pump gas. At 100hrs I sucked up some duck seed in my water jacket and it plugged a few water inlets to my cylinders. I decided to rebuild it completely but the unaffected holes looked great and rings were still gold. Now I don't run hard at all. Mainly just cruise around 4500-5000 but do rip it past 8k every now and then.

suicidealli

doesn't a stock 260 have 130# compression? How much less you wanna get. I'd say that's pretty mild already. I run 170# on pump gas. At 100hrs I sucked up some duck seed in my water jacket and it plugged a few water inlets to my cylinders. I decided to rebuild it completely but the unaffected holes looked great and rings were still gold. Now I don't run hard at all. Mainly just cruise around 4500-5000 but do rip it past 8k every now and then.
I'm about 1000' above sea level and a fresh 260 has 125 roughly. They sure run a lot better with some compression. I like 170-175 for a lake motor..
I wouldn't detune a 260 just prop it accordingly, but prop it so it could turn at least 7400, and would prefer 7800.

If your looking for a lower maintenance fishing motor, maybe a 200 efi or a 225 promax. Would be better..

Roy

xb03fs

Not a 200 I have 200 get at least a p max. I have added tweaked and prop changed my way to some good
Numbers light but put the triller and a fishing load in it and
Its only an 80 mph boat

skewby

dave come on down if you got something to run or if you dont i might have a seat? the more the merrier. water was great last wk end to run the boats.

suicidealli

Not a 200 I have 200 get at least a p max. I have added tweaked and prop changed my way to some good
Numbers light but put the triller and a fishing load in it and
Its only an 80 mph boat
A 200 and a 200pm are the same exact block and porting, just a higher rev limiter in the ecu.
You should be running faster than that!!!!!! Jmo

Roy

xb03fs

PM, suidcide, I am running an XB2003 not an 02

JaySmithRacing

A well tuned and fresh 280 should "HIDE" from a stock 225 PM, I build both weekly..The 225 can be breathed on and improved but can't match the "Torque Animal" ( 280 )..

Jay