Just bought my first Allison

blake985

First Allison, bought from "Padura" on here. XB2003 W/ FRESH 280 (fully stock except t.p.wizards & merc 1" spacer plate)

I'm loving it! Motor still breaking in so running double oil and keeping it under 5000-5200 Its had about 45gals. run through it so far...
Padu had it 1-1/2" above pad (w/ 10,000s pencil roll) I dropped it to 1" above

I rode yesterday got her up to 60 @ 5k rpm w/ 2 people, 3 batteries, troller, some fishing gear, 25p TXP...couldn't keep her there long due to my lack of experience...I could correct it to the left but would make her rock worse when Id go to the right??? Any suggestions would be appreciated....

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Darth VMAX

Its just going to take seat time.

Anticipate what the boat is doing, don't react to it...your too late if you are reacting. Learning the walk takes careful inputs from the trim and throttle.

mdevrow

Great News on the Allison!! Looks like a nice well keep rig, Yep 60 to 65MPH is where you start learning to drive Take your time it will come Before you know it you'll be making high speed turns. XB03's will run !!~Great pick GOOD LUCK!!

whipper

Congrates on the really nice Allison! As mentioned all it is seat time. We all went threw the same thing when we got our first Allison. One ya get it its like riding a bike ya never loose it and wonder why it took so long to get it!!{really}. So as slomo said go out solo as not to scare the pants off anyone unless its your lady then that might not be so bad?:big grin
Take it slow she will rock and roll then back off. {Im taking about the boat again now:]} If ya keep trying and trying one day it comes to ya all of a suden. Youll be like I think I just had it? Then you try again and bingo. Its not somthing ya can just tell some one. Another really good thing to do is go out with another Ally owner in your boat. Let them drive and show ya what there doing a couple of times. Then ya know exactly what to practice. Thats the best way. You live were lots of Allison owners are so that shouldnt be a problem. Just ask on hear and some one can surly lend ya a hand one day. Thats just what we do hear help each other out so know,so no one gets hurt.

SWEET! Xb03 I might add. What a combo with a 280. over 100mph boat right there. Before ya ever try that, get some good advice from some other Allison guys who have your combo. Focus on getting her steady to 80-85 and being able to hold that for as long as ya want first. 80-85 will come within a month if get out and practice 2-3 hours a day 3 days a week. [Seat time] is seat time. If ya practice more it comes sooner. If less, later. Like anything.
Think of her as a bike and how wabily that is when your a little kid trying to ride two wheels for the first time! As you gained {seat time} you could bomb down long steep hills wide open without a wable or even with no hands!! your Allison is the same way!! The balance factor and steering input is almost the exact same also. Think of it this way. Your trying to balance the whole hull on a little tiny furface in the center,Back, of the hull. Your sitting on one side. That means your going to need wieght on the other side to off set you! Right. Other wise your trying to balance that bike the first time ya ride her with a monky hanging of your side!! That will be very hard to do. So when guys talk about balaning your hull there talking about this. If you have a Center steer its easier. But we mostly have sport and fishing boats like yours and mine so we really need to think about were the gear is and how much gear is were to off set your wieght at the helm. Ill put a picture below. Look at were at 65+mph your hull sits. if you have to much wieght on one side the hull will want to tip over to the heavy side. So the better the balance of the hull the easier of a time your going to have driving her over that 65mph area. The faster ya go over 65 the higher the hull gets and the more this matters for saftey of you and others. Chine walk is the result of unbalaned hulls and driver inexperiance. Sooo as you {master} if you like the chine walk fenominum, relise that once you {master} BTW Im not to fond of the term Master but it works in this sence. the driving of an Allison you can take pride in knowing you are among only Allison owners that can drive an Allison. And you have one of the fastest Vee Hulled single outboard boat hulls on the planet under your but!!:big grin So dont feel bad and find good calm water with no one around to practice. Sometimes that means early mornings or late nights or maybe no so great weather to practice when no ones there. Week days take time off work? Its just way easier to practice and get it for the first time in conditions like that. A boat wake from the side will throw the hull out of wack then your done and have to start over and over.
As mentioned search Chine walk on hear. Theres some great advide on how to do things. Youll get it and belive me i know some days ya think WTF im never going to get this thing!!! Dont get discouraged. Most of us have gone threw that and it will pass. Youll get it! Trust me everyone does. It just takes time and PRACTISE like anything new.

blake985

Thanks for the good advice...I cant wait to get back out there!! I think I definately need to balance her out... Since I havent done that yet.. any tips on achieving a good balanced boat.

chad202

That boat drives very very good. Better than my 03 did. I left some lip on his boat due to the amount weight he carries. I'll help ya. Just call whenever.

2003225X

Nice looking boat!

It is identical to mine, except it has the motor hanging off of it that I want!

Listen to Chad on that boat... he will get you pointed in the right direction.

jimbob88

it may look funny but bring a 3' level with you out to the lake. set it on the front deck & get behind the wheel. look at it & start adjusting gear to make it level. i use those ankle weight things. some use wrapped up shot bags. hook up with another ally dude & learning curve is exponentially quicker!!! bald allison( phil messina) is not too far from you. if you hook up with him or chad you are golden!! enjoy

whipper

There ya go. As mentioned in all the above. Chad and Phil in LA you got as good as it gets for drivers and know how. As said your golden with those guys near ya.
Chads been running 100++ with his 03 for some time now. To run the numbers he does ya have to know whats what, not to many guys if any running top end numbers in an 03 like Chad is right now. He knows how to drive Allisons very well!!

padura

I'm glad you are enjoying it. It just takes a lil time to get used to driving her. She is a good one for sure. Now I gotta go work on getting me a 21.

1 inch above the pad seems a little high just starting out, even or below will make it easier
to drive. Gradually increase the height as you feel more comfortable.

xb03fs

I'm glad you are enjoying it. It just takes a lil time to get used to driving her. She is a good one for sure. Now I gotta go work on getting me a 21.
Not sure if you are looking for new or used but I have been dreaming/searching for something I am not going to buy anytime soon. But the only used ones are:
Theres a red 2+2 on renalds that seems priced right and a sky high yellow and blade bassport on bassboatcentral. I haven't seen any other ones and have been dreaming. I have the itch.

2003225X

He is able to run the motor that high because some of the lip was taken off the boat. How much is left on that one Chad?

racerx

Very good lookin boat,run a short prop and lots a seat time,good luck...