Jim ruck art

suicidealli

As far as welding them back together, or excellent looking cylinder hone jobs???
Exhaust work???
I have a modified drag block ready to assemble, and a 280 should be here any day.
Will show the hone work on the drag, but not the mod work.lol anything on the 280 when it shows up. It is 100 0/0 stock.
Roy

Last edited:

h2oskiier30

I have a mint 280 block out in the shop with a fresh Ruck lake cut exhaust chest and straightened and honed cylinders. I've had it back from him for about 6 months or so, just haven't taken the time to put it back together yet. If I can remember tomorrow, I'll snap some pics and post them up.

patches

Paul, send all that ol junk to me. I'll put it together and break it in for you. Won't even charge you cause that's just the kinda sumbich I am:)

suicidealli

01-02 drag. with some mods not shown.
ruck did the support rings, hone, weld job.
ruck is not an engine builder!!!!!!!!!!!!! he is a machinist, and was a engineer at mercury. now retired. he came up with the nic cylinder, from what i have been told.
roy

Last edited:

h2oskiier30

Here's a pic of Ruck's two-way rod slot cut.

Would post a pic of his "lake cut" exhaust chest, but I forgot that I've already got the exhaust divider on the block (long story there), and it's too cold to stay out there in the shop and take it off.

h2oskiier30

Just going by what it says on my invoice, Jay. I couldn't remember what he called it, so I looked it up.

JaySmithRacing

The jargon on his ticket is all the same , the "slot" he did/does starts in the center of the rod slot and tapers deeper into the port runner .. IMO too intrusive and removed too much metal and created volume.

The new "notch" is IMO the better of the cuts he does. Routes fuel vapor QUICKLY to the mouth of the port and still maintains a tighter crankcase volume.

You got the better of the 2 cuts he does , I do all my Drags, 280's and modded 260 like the "notch" you have they're the cats ARSE...I have a modded 260 with some porting that Jim and I have been using in transit for the last 4-5 260's thats really worked well have a TON of torque and they have the "notched" style port runner openings same as the picture...

Jay

Last edited:

RBT

The jargon on his ticket is all the same , the "slot" he did/does starts in the center of the rod slot and tapers deeper into the port runner .. IMO too intrusive and removed too much metal and created volume.

The new "notch" is IMO the better of the cuts he does. Routes fuel vapor QUICKLY to the mouth of the port and still maintains a tighter crankcase volume.

You got the better of the 2 cuts he does , I do all my Drags, 280's and modded 260 like the "notch" you have they're the cats ARSE...I have a modded 260 with some porting that Jim and I have been using in transit for the last 4-5 260's thats really worked well have a TON of torque and they have the "notched" style port runner openings same as the picture...

Jay
That is the best rod slot I have seen in a long while.
Remember air is like a spring, and if you have a large flat wall (like the floor of the block) the air bounces back into the cylinder. If you remove a lot of the wall, like the older rods slots, not only do you increase the crankcase volume (like jay said), but you reduce the area that the air has to bounce off. A double negative. The same goes for guys that remove the fronthalf mismatch, that mismatch HELPS the motor.

COOL Post.

bassracr

Here's a picture of the 2 way rod slots ruck did on a 2.4 Bridgeport I sent him i think about 1994 ?
[

Ruck Lake cut exhaust polished up a bit by me

Some piston port mods by ruck (compare to stock piston on right)

If you took out a piston that had been up and down the bore a few hundred thousand times you would see a wear pattern that matches his piston mods exactly. Those round holes match up with square ports in the block. These mods worked very well. It's been many years but from memory this 2.4 seemed to run better than my stock 2.5. Ruck does great work but I believe it's mahle you can thank for inventing nikasil

suicidealli

Didn't ruck introduce the idea to merc to use nic?????? I know he didn't invent the nic.
I run nic sleeves in my banshee now. Just built it 2 days ago. Should be another hot 2 stroke.