hydromotive question

dusty j

Looking into getting a QIV O/T for my 2003, I had the chance to try one out so i know how well they run, just wondering how durable they are being i will be using this for fishing

whipper

I would say super durable props!! i dont think your going to get anyone that would say different. Call Hydromotive and ask for Todd. his family owns them and hes a very experienced Allison owner so could help you decide on pitch price ect..

nickens21

Hey dusty. I see you live in reserve. I live close to French settlement/maurpas. IMO I would not run a hydro for the waters we fish. I had an OT for a while. Nicked it up everytime I put the boat in the water. I traded it for a xob which I have for sale. I'm scared to run it in fear of bending/nicking it up. They are some bad ass running props don't get me wrong. The OT was bumping 90 on allyxtb/225. But they made for the guys that run that deep water. Too much money to spend to be bumping cypress knees and getting up in shallow water.

whipper

if your going to ding one up you might consider a 25 trophy. There cheep and a dime a dozen. Nick has a good point. the hydros are sweet props not one your going to want to beat up. 200-300 bucks for decent trophy. i have a beat up 25 trophy for 10 years and when there's debre in the water thats the prop i use not one of my nice ones. There performance is great also. A 25 will get you out of the hole with very little stern squat for the shallows also. if ya hit something and it bends you can harmer it back in shape. No real loss at 200-300 a prop. haha

GotMyAlly

Hydromotive is all I've ran for a fishing prop for the past 10 years or more. The only one I've dinged up beyond what could be repaired with emery cloth was a result of dropping it in the parking lot..........

If you have Todd thin it down for you to get the most speed, sure it's going to be less durable. But the same could be said for any prop. Just tell Todd how you're going to be using it and he can leave a little more meat on it for you.

nickens21

Just wanting to give the guy a heads up before he drops the coin. Ive been running a 26 txp to fish with. I've had a crabpot get hung up on it one time and had to use pliers to get it off. I was in some shallow stuff. A lot of shallow water down here in south la. In the marshes here has a lot of shell in the mud. Down in Venice La, a lot of sand. Now would any of you want to spend almost a K on a prop then go fishing down here? Doubt it. I just picked up a 25p merc promax for 375 bucks. Sucker has blades thick as a railroad track. I have only ran it once but the holeshot was noticeably better that the txp. Didn't get to open it up though.

dusty j

thanks for the heads up nickens21, i actually picked up a 25 promax yesterday and you aren't kidding it has some meat on it. Im hoping to go try it out this weekend.

this post this was never meant to sound like I'm bashing hydromotive props by any means, i had the opportunity to run one and loved the way it ran, when i first started looking into getting the hydromotive
i called todd to see what prop he recommended, he was very helpful. if i were running in clean water i would have no problem at all going will the hydro

nickens21

Most deff not knocking the hydros. They have some of the best performing props on the market. Easy to drive and bout as fast as you can get. Esp if they build one for your set up. Its just something we cant use to fish with down here. Well, you can if you want. haha

Tim Powell

Something to think about....

No matter who makes the prop, it can be broken.

I've broke the following:

28 Promax,
28 TXP OT4,
27 Trophy,
26 Trophy,
28 Bravo 1,
27 Hydromotive X-O/B,
2 - 28 Performer 4's.

If your running shallow bayou's down south, I wouldn't drop the money on a custom built prop.

Saying that, I put well over 7,000 miles on my last Hydro X-O/B on a river system in 3 years and she is still running today.

Here is my last 28 Promax:

TBuck2003

thanks for the heads up nickens21, i actually picked up a 25 promax yesterday and you aren't kidding it has some meat on it. Im hoping to go try it out this weekend.

this post this was never meant to sound like I'm bashing hydromotive props by any means, i had the opportunity to run one and loved the way it ran, when i first started looking into getting the hydromotive
i called todd to see what prop he recommended, he was very helpful. if i were running in clean water i would have no problem at all going will the hydro
Dusty good luck with your new purchase !!! When we spoke I offered you two different versions of the wheels depending on what you wanted to do and how you use the boat. My choice was the X-OB with the thicker blades that was far more durable for fishing. You had mentioned you were just concerned with top end, that is why I had mentioned the OT if that was the most important factor for you. You have to run what is more effective, for where you run !!! Good luck and hope the boat is running well for ya !!!

dusty j

finally got a chance to run the promax. the holeshot and midrange wasn't bad, the top side wasn't what I hoped it would be, it seemed to want to keep the nose down, and it dropped my rpm to 6 grand I'm going to see if I can find an X-OB local to try out

BALD ALLISON

Dusty, I have a 26 XOB that Todd built for me and it runs better than all the other fishing props i've ever tried. I'm running a XB-2003 with a SS 280 and 14" of set back. I fish the spillway and other local areas and dont have any nicks or dings. I'll let you try it if you want. Todd and Thom are first class people and really know a lot about Props and Allisons. And they are my personal friends as well.
082.JPG

Call me
Phil 225-268-7114

Attachments