Hooking

Have you hooked your Allison or other Hi Performance boat? (You may select multiple)

• Hooked Allison

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Hooked Other Hi Perf Boat

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Never Hooked Allison

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Never Hooked Other Hi Perf Boat

Votes: 16 21.3%

• Total voters

xb03fs

I think the other part of the problem, is the higher the motor is the better it feels it seems to feel, the easier to drive and the speed and performance..at the cost of LESS MARGIN FOR ERROR.

Bobalouie

Boat: XB02
Motor: 2.5 280
Speed: Mid 90s
Weather & Water Conditions: Good water, a light chop, little wind
Other: Chopped the throttle and she dove and started heading to the right and I nailed the gas again to get the bow back up. Resulted in only changing my vector by about 15-20 degrees rather than 90 or 180. So, not a full hook and a decent lesson on not chopping the throttle.

TxAllisonXB21

Boat:XR2002
Motor:Rude XP
Speed:Mid 90's
Weather & Water Conditions:Good water slight chop but strong cross wind
Other: Was running down a protected bank and got to a cut in the shoreline I chopped the throttle as the cross wind laid the boat on the right side and started a hard turn right. The boat began to lean left during the turn and I reapplied power as I was trimming down and drove out of a pretty violent s turn. I was very luck to stay with it.
I did hook and swim from a 20' Shadow tunnel hull that was not a lot of fun but it was a much lower speed turn being trimmed to much around 35-40 mph.

Last edited:

XXXR2001

Grandsport: Hooked at a little over 90. Too much trim trying to get more mph! 1/2" above with stock sportmaster. Thats a little to high for every day use but you could probably get away with it with a little self control on the trim button. This one hurt pretty good as I went to the passenger side, bent the grab handle & cracked the fiberglass with my shoulder and damn near passed. Needless to say I made the necessary adjustments and didn't do it again. 100% my fault.

XR 2001 Drag: Out of nowhere it just started hooking (twice around 100) and drove myself crazy trying to figure out why and what had changed. What happened is I had dragged the skeg on uneven ground in the parking area of a race and it bent what little curvature I had in the torque tab straight. Didn't think much of it when it happened because skeg looked ok. Obviously it made a very very slight change because once I put a little bend back in it, no hooky! Lesson learned: torque tab is more important than you think.:beer:

90 5.0

3 times, 2 xb2003 1 20xdc

Xb2003, 225 pm stuck my 25t-1 on there from another boat to see how it would do as a back up /stump field prop etc.
prop had way to much lift. As soon as it tried to come up on the pad real good with triminnhe low 70's it lifted the boat very high and immediately hooked, I was in he middle of the lake so I didn't hit anything. Didn't get thrown out but had some bruised ribs.

2nd time , going around a 90 curve in the river way to fast, boat grabbed hard in the corner and was flying around it no issue, until it straightened out and I tried to straighten the boat up out of the corner. It but hard and shot right directly at some boat docks, again didn't get thrown out but barely held on, and regained control to steer away from the docks as the boat set down almost hit them.

Bullet same curve as the Allison but going the other direction much slower. Lu lost bite and boat spun around 90 degrees and headed straight for a sand bar stump field, barely got it back headed the right direction before plowing into stumps. Again not thrown out but bruised up really good.

I've been pretty lucky but I know more or less where the boats limits are now and don't push them past what I think is getting into that thresh hold.

I almost hooked the Allison at max speed one time I think. I felt the *** end get real loos and wobble alot so I backed off the throttle a hair and bumped trim down one tap and it was solid again.

Every time after that when it would start to feel loose I would bump down a hair before it wobbled.

brotherxb03

boat: 1998 xb2003
200 mercury
prop over the hub 4 blade Hydromotive 27 pitxh
rpm 7K
speed ?
Choped off throttle @ WOT, big time push u into side of boat bat turn, thought it was ending up on bank, 1st time running boat after purchase with 14" set back and hydraulic plate. Put boat on trailer and went home. Had hydra stream Varmit with 200 for about 10 year then a spirit bass boat. Mad a mistake and told wife about bat turn, she wouldn't get in boat for a few years after that. Quick lesson on what not to do in a Alison, never happened again, had a bobs sportsman then, have a sports master now. That's been 11 years ago.

Last edited:

whipper

Hey Marc Hemi did you see Jim do one when you guys went out a few time last season? BTW i cant get over how awesome a job you did on the colour on your GS when you freshened her up!! she looks so slick!:beer:

This poll is very 50/50 on all fronts. Didn't expect that. Looks like 98% driver error on the hooks looking for speed. go figure. like we dont have the fastest 20ft Vee hulls on the planet already. But we want more. tells ya something about us owners. Were all a bunch of trim happy Speed freaks. haha

Last edited:

bec

Made a pass stopped and waited .made another pass up to 97 and I came back over some wakes and lost bite came off pad, hard 90, gently ease off throttle and pulled back down.20 xd 280.broke me about 6months from wanting to make some speed runs.notice gel stress on pad when Looking the boat over.it wAs pretty hard turn.

BGohr

I myself don't have any pictures but it turned so hard and stopped the steering wheel was bent all the way to the side of the boat and the clamp on bolts tore from the rear end it was a adventure for sure...Dave it became a RAT you might want to add it to the Mic Ds collection,,,lol
That was funny(after I realized he was OK), he was driving the DR20 and I told him to strap in, he didn't want to, the straps hurt. After the boat stopped I was the first one there, and I didn't see him, the canopy was gone and i thought he was thrown out of the boat,so I'm looking around for a life jacket. Very slowly I hear him moaning and here comes the helmet up from the cockpit, Dummy was jammed under the steering in the front of the cell. He was like "Billy I don't feel so good", I was like "you OK, you bleeding or anything"? He was like"no, but I don't feel so good", all I could say was "how do those straps feel?"

Carnage, well we walked around in the water for an hour found the motor, it was ripped off the boat, pulled the bolts right through the transom, it had race steering and I never saw this happen. The steering bar was still hooked in the cables on one side, the bar ripped those three large casting bosses off the center section, not good. That boat was junk but someone fixed it, not good either.

Hey Louie, why don't you tell them about when you hooked the Bassboat???

whipper

seems like non Allison boats don't fare very well to the stresses of hooking..
That may be a very good point. It doesn't sound like other boats fare well at all. I can say is I would rather hook in an Allison then blow over thats for sure. Jeffs sounds like no fun at all! One of mine i was sure the wheel was going to be bent or something from hanging on but all was good. Another good thing is how they stay belly down dig in not barrel roll. Ive only heard of one barrel roll . That was with a 300 3.0 on the back.

michael j giesler

Bill i remember that it could have ended very bad your words when you closed the canopy go for it and he would have done it but unfortunately he hooked it about 150' before the finish line i do have to say it was way more boat error than driver when it was derigged and redone it was done very poorly man bill no one wanted to find that motor until you said reward and those kids were on it quick

Dave Hensley

That was funny(after I realized he was OK), he was driving the DR20 and I told him to strap in, he didn't want to, the straps hurt. After the boat stopped I was the first one there, and I didn't see him, the canopy was gone and i thought he was thrown out of the boat,so I'm looking around for a life jacket. Very slowly I hear him moaning and here comes the helmet up from the cockpit, Dummy was jammed under the steering in the front of the cell. He was like "Billy I don't feel so good", I was like "you OK, you bleeding or anything"? He was like"no, but I don't feel so good", all I could say was "how do those straps feel?"

Carnage, well we walked around in the water for an hour found the motor, it was ripped off the boat, pulled the bolts right through the transom, it had race steering and I never saw this happen. The steering bar was still hooked in the cables on one side, the bar ripped those three large casting bosses off the center section, not good. That boat was junk but someone fixed it, not good either.

Hey Louie, why don't you tell them about when you hooked the Bassboat???
It is only funny after you know everyone is OK. Only Louie could fit under the steering wheel. Happy Birthday Loser!

BGohr

Bill i remember that it could have ended very bad your words when you closed the canopy go for it and he would have done it but unfortunately he hooked it about 150' before the finish line i do have to say it was way more boat error than driver when it was derigged and redone it was done very poorly man bill no one wanted to find that motor until you said reward and those kids were on it quick

He didn't hook it, the motor had a non ratcheting gc that was locked in forward, what happened was the crank broke, the motor locked up and then the boat tried to turn and at that speed there was nothing anyone could of done with it.

Oh yeah I forgot, Happy BDay Meathead............

hemi2005

Hey Marc Hemi did you see Jim do one when you guys went out a few time last season? BTW i cant get over how awesome a job you did on the colour on your GS when you freshened her up!! she looks so slick!:beer:

This poll is very 50/50 on all fronts. Didn't expect that. Looks like 98% driver error on the hooks looking for speed. go figure. like we dont have the fastest 20ft Vee hulls on the planet already. But we want more. tells ya something about us owners. Were all a bunch of trim happy Speed freaks. haha
Yes James, I watched Jim do a Bat turn right in front of me. If I knew that he was going to do it, I would have video recorded it! ...Thank you for the compliment my fried! She could use a little touch up after a couple of seasons of use.

hemi2005

Hemi--
That is a very good looking GS (partial to Bahama Blue). Blue looks better when it hooks.
---thread stealer

I appreciate the compliment...and I hope that I don't find out about the Bat Turn...LOL!...Mine have all been at slower speeds and done for fun.

BGohr

Love that color, my next 15 will be that color

suicidealli

I believe my answer would yes I have hooked!!!!! Lol I have hooked
17' Norris craft with a modified Bridgeport on it. That was the first hook.. It wasn't pretty. It went right, then left, then right before it settled down.. A$$ sucked up the underwear that day....
Other Hooks
XB 2002
XB 2003
SS
XR 2001.
I had one xb 2002 that I didn't hook, but only had in the water a few times.lmao
If you push them past their limits, or your own they are going to come around.JMO
Most of my hooks were over a 100. The few that were low speed 60-85 were from forgetting to lower the hyd jack plate after being in shallow water. They come around kinda quick when they are 2-3" above the pad. Lol.
Never threw myself out.. Almost was thrown out once. Put some nice stress cracks in the rod box as a passenger.. Oh the driver came out, but I had a good hold of the bucket driver seat. :)
Testing a crazy prop I threw one guy out making a sharp turn about 50. He was fine, but the water was cold. Ever since then I have lost my nerve to push them. Keep thinking how bad things could have turned out...
Need to change my name from suicidealli to slowpoke. Lol

Roy

Last edited: