Helmet bucketing

whipper

Awsome info Rocket thanks!!! I think Ill save my full face for motorbiking. Ill be looking for a waterski helmut for recreational high speed runs with goggles. A chest strap sounds like a good ivestment also. My full face looks cool but hard to look cool if with no head!

whipper

I was talking to a friend who is a succsefull F1 racer about bucketing the other night. He just came from a saftey meeting and this was discused a little bit. It doesnt apply to much with him because hes in a capsule. The were talking about when they are just pleasure driveing in there open STV,s and other open boats or some one learning what to wear. As for realy fast boats that go over 100 as rocket says should be the rule. If though your only in the say 85-90 or less range and wear a helmut with out restraints they did say one thing is better than nothing. A neck suport collor. The only way your helmut can bucket is because of the gap below the chin and back of the neck. Ussualy its the void under the chin that catches the water and paracutes the head!:shock: We were thinking these collars that velcro at the front or back would help a great deal. They almost eliminate that hollow spot under the chin. For some or maybe most recreational boaters that either dont wear a helmet 90 or less or the guys that do with out restraints. This might be better than nothing and something that at least more people would wear. Off course this isnt as good as the whole restrant system. But realy how many of us will gear up like that as often as just throwing on the brain bucket and slapping on a colour. We dont even know if this would help for sure but it was just a thought and it seemed to be a better than nothing idea. So basicly a high colour lifeline with the neck colour with a full face. The idea is to stream line from the vest to the bottom of the helmet with less apendages to catch water on impact. hears a link to the collars they look like a dounut. If you look at the guy in the full restraint and then imagine him with a vest and the collar on see how it would fill that gap. It wouldnt stop your head from getting tossed around mabe a little. But it should make it harder to bucket. http://www.lifelinejackets.com/helmet_restraints.cfm

Last edited: