Helmet bucketing

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
The IHBA makes you wera straps from your helmet to the vest.

I have heard unfortunate tales of peoples heads being ripped off by the force of the helmet edge hitting the water when ejected at high speed. I would guess that these hapless victims had no such straps.

Most Lifeline vests have collars that would seem to keep this "bucketing" from having a chance to happen.

The helmet straps mandated by IHBA make it impossible to turn your head. Is this for neck protection?

Any other comments about straps, helmet bucketing, etc.?

badbait

There's been some studies done on this and the conclusions were that you shouldn't wear anything that will slow you down when you hit the water at high speed. If you keep skipping and tumbling without the water catching something your wearing and trying to slow you down or worse yet ripping it off of you your safer. I have seen first hand what the hydraulic affect of water can do when it takes a helmet off your head.

Last edited:

froggy

Some of us "old timers" used to cut the straps off the helmets so we couldn't fasten them. The theory was the helmet would take the initial impact then, if it 'bucketed', it would just come off. You wanted a looser fitting helmet too.

The Lifeline helmet straps are a definite improvement and a good idea, in my opinion.

Just my $.02

froggy

whipper

What I heard was to cut the strap almost thru.
Very ingenious!! You could also use velcro or snaps I think snaps would come off better. What about an old aviators leather brain bucket! I think I saw one on some one at war didnt I?:beer:Kinda make you think twice about wearing a helmet over 85 or 90 now doesnt it with out straps to the vest!

FLYING BUTCHER

I run my helmut restraints high on my chest so I can turn my head side to side and I do not have the chin strap hooked up?? I agree with the "bucket effect" just my 2 cents

ALLISONMAN

i always wear a non full faced helment with a helment restraint!! as told to me by lifeline the restarint has d-rings that will seperate in the event of a bucketing type action causing the helment to come off but with the lifeline jackets the bucketing shouldnt happen!!! i will say this in the event of a blowover your helment can rotate forward on your head and actually be off before contact with the water as the effect of your body in motion and the boat stopping rapidly!!! i also saw 2 helment come off when a boat hooked this year as a result of not being buckled!!! i will take my chances with a restaint and open face helment!!! i talked to a champ boat driver that had his helment come off in a blowover with his air system on and chin strap buckled and he said he wouldnt race again without his restraint!!!!! all this i have seen happen this year racing!!!

john4utvols

Mine came off when I hit the water at 105, I don't know if it was luck or God. But My head was fine, But Oz's helmut didn't far as well, it had a couple of new scratches.

RedAllison

Bryan is right, the safest setup with regards to minimizing "water bucketing" is an open face with the jacket/shoulder harnesses. The downside is you don't have any jaw/facial protection and goggles (and maybe even a visor) then comes into play as well.

Most of the jet drivers in my dads family (they raced coast to coast back in the 70s and early 80s) chose full face helmets (including my dad). Back then they weren't required to have the helmet restraints either. One uncle who ran the fastest class of jets (Fuel) ALWAYS preferred open faces and goggles. Sadly we lost him in blowover in Starkville, MS (against Dan Pastorini) that even split his helmet. But it was always agreed that the impact broke his neck and EITHER style of helmet would've failed and even if it wouldn't have split he still would've suffered the broken neck.

I always drag around a full face but it's mainly for cold weather and rain running. I also like to think that most of us running simple bassboats aren't as likely to actually end up wet or in a blowover as much as we are likely to get tossed into a console or side of the boat. In either case, any helmet should suffice, but if we DO go over the side I think I'd rather be FREE of the helmet. :help

I know from motorcycle crash studies that there are as many arguements FOR full faces as there are AGAINST them. One arguement says that the chin bar presents a "lever" that when hit just right can put the head/neck in a severe enough angle and rebound that breakage of the neck is assured. Some would say in such a situation, "I'll take a smashed jaw/face and survive with my open face over instant death with a full face". Then some will say, live fast, die young and leave a good lookin corpse. :cool

Technology is a WONDERFUL thing and while not 100% fool proof, I think the casuality incidence rates in dragboat racing HAS declined over the last 20 years with the implementation of cockpits in the pro classes, better safety equipment and more rules REQUIRING those pieces of equipment. I know you give up some visibility with the best protection, but it's only for a few seconds and you're going straight anyway so in the end what difference does it make???

BE CAREFUL GUYS, I consider everyone on here a bud and racing funerals SUCK A$$!!! :very sad
RA

ps
I'm sure if Dale Sr. were able to speak with us today he'd have something different to say about the HANS device than he did before his accident. The couple extra pounds a helmet weighs DOES have an affect on the spine during a severe impact. That "Basal Spine Fracture" incidence goes up CONSIDERABLY with a skid lid so even that shows NOTHING is without risk. Add a lil protection here, lose a lil protection there. Aint life a beatch?

Last edited:

DukeNukem

When I was racing back in the 70's and early 80's, I always wore an orange open face helmet in sanctioned events. For non-sanctioned events (backyard as we called 'em back then), I usually ran much faster due to being non-stock and a lot of cheatin', I wore an old helmet that I had taken a holesaw and drilled six 1 & 1/4 inch holes in the top. Three from front to back, to the left of center and three from front to back, to the right of center. The idea was to alleviate some of the bucket effect. Don't know if it worked or not, never had the opportunity to come out with this helmet on.

Rocket

My $.02 1/2 cents!

Bucketing is REAL!

#1 Guys always wear a helmet! If you do, then wear helmet restraints that are attached to a chest harness (not your life jacket, it pulls up on you when hitting the water *** first!) And DON'T attach your chin STRAPS! (The restraint will keep your helmet on).

#2 Always wear a life jacket!

#3 Never test Alone!

PS> Somebody needs to invent a Helmet with holes like a skate board helmet to prevent Bucking!!!!

T-REX

I wore the restraints when I run Pro 120 wit ODBA, but it wuz wit an open face helment.....

I use a fulface helment now when we play at the "Run what ya brung" type events, but I don't buckle the straps......

I personally had juss az soon run without a hement az to run with one buckled without restraints....

JFYI, My buddy, Wally Jofrion died bekause ov stem damage(pull'd hiz hed aloose from his spine) and he didn't have on a helment.....Melvin Eaves died from the same cause, and he had a helment on, and it wuz buckled!!!...The straps didn't break, and it thru hiz helment 100'....

My take on it iz helments are made for hed protection, aginst blows to the hed.....But in the water, it iz not safe, but more ov a hazard than bein knocked out and drown'in.....Your Lifeline should keep U from drown'in, even if un-consios...JMO

Rocket

I'm with you T-Rex,,, If you wear restraints,,,, Don't buckle the helmet! Just my Opinion!

J

John Richied

Rocket, I think the idea is if you DO NOT have the helmet restraints then do NOT buckle the helmet so it can release on its own. Not try to pull your head off if you go overboard at speed (bucketing affect)

If you have the helmet restraints

The Cashew Kid

i talked to a champ boat driver that had his helment come off in a blowover with his air system on and chin strap buckled and he said he wouldnt race again without his restraint!!!!!
Wouldn't happen to be Chuck Unkle would it? I took him to buy a new helmet this year at the Pickwick race because his knucle headed arse didn't try his mask on with his extra helmet after the other got tore up. :big grin During testing his oxygen mask kept "riding up his face" starting to cover up his eyes where he couldn't see. Not good.:help

Rocket

Rocket,
If you have the helmet restraints… then buckle it or not, it shouldn’t matter much.

Oh John,, I strongly disagree on this point....And this maybe wrong ( I know it's NOT what the manufacture says)

but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, IMHO There is WAY toooooo much play (even if you cinch the restraints down till it hurts) on both the chest strap or the life jacket mounted kind of restraints (the jacket kind are the worst),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

With restraints alone, they will keep the helmet on your head long enough for you to get clear of the boat and hit the water with out popping your brain stem off your brain!!! (plus your head can move a bit inside to allow for your neck not to get broken either)...

With the chin straps buckled and the restraints, When your helmet buckets at 100mph+ then it would only take a 1/2" of movement to POP your brain stem off your brain,, or break your neck!!!! and them restraints WILL aloow your helmet to move 1/2" or more!!!

Its just my Opinion,, but Think about it??? Put your restraints on as tight as you can and have somebody pull on it................

Drive safely!

PS I also wouldn't EVER drive with my helmet not strapped on at all................ that's a whole bunch of other opinions! LOL